Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Losing Weight

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ok as most of you know i had a baby recently & i REALLY need to lose weight. Thing is i have never really had to diet before as i always used to be quite slim.
I really don't have much of an idea on what i shouldnt eat or keep to a minimum. Ok choc & things are obvious but i really need some advise.
I have been doing more exercise, bit more walking & i have a playstaition dance mat:o which i really enjoy so it will make me use it. I can't do much at a time though as i am very unfit.

Please someone help me out. I have at least 3 stone to lose :(.

Comments

• Options
    well I hacv recently changed my eating to lose weight. I cut out crips, sweets, choc and fried food. Evry couple of days i might have one bag of crisps, usually French Fries as they are low in fat, or I might have a choc bar. I eat 3 meals a day, usually scrambled agg n toast, then a turkey sarnie with a big salad, and then my dinner, something like a chop, with lots of veg and mash and gravy. Snacks are usually fruit or ryvitas with low fat cream cheese, or a low fat rice cup.
    So i'm not dieting, just eating a bit less, filling up on my meals and replacing fatty things with healthy things. I dont weigh myself but I can wear jeans I havent been able to wear in ages and I only started 2.5 weeks ago!
  • Options
    Check out our health and diet section - it has lots of useful features for you. Remember that exercise is one of the most importnat aspects of losing weight - especially after you've just had a baby as it helps you tone up. Think about what you enjoy and try and do some exercise at least twice a week.
  • Options
    Re: Losing Weight
    Originally posted by Tweety
    Ok as most of you know i had a baby recently & i REALLY need to lose weight. Thing is i have never really had to diet before as i always used to be quite slim.
    I really don't have much of an idea on what i shouldnt eat or keep to a minimum. Ok choc & things are obvious but i really need some advise.
    I have been doing more exercise, bit more walking & i have a playstaition dance mat:o which i really enjoy so it will make me use it. I can't do much at a time though as i am very unfit.

Please someone help me out. I have at least 3 stone to lose :(.
    It took me a year to lose my baby weight, as i put on 4 st in pregnancy. Basically I just walked absolutely everywhere. pushing the buggy and walking really fast burns the calories quite a lot. So dont get the bus or drive unless you absolutely have to. If your journey is under 3 miles, then walk it.
    Make sure youre not eating for two anymore, get a george foreman grill - watch the fat drip off the food. stock up on loads of fruit, and if you feel peckish, eat as much fruit as you want. grapes, apples, tangerines, bananas, pears, strawberries :yum::yum:
  • Options
    I walk loads because I don't drive and I have to walk like a mile to get a bus into town.
  • Options
    Avoid eating crisps and candy - When you want to treat yourself, have a bit of chocolate - like once a week, say at the weekends when you want to take it easy - And add more fruit to your diet, so make sure theres always a bowl of fruit at your dinning table.

Exercise - Walk everywhere and anywhere. Walking slowly does squat - Need to walk quickly like you're about to burst into a jog. Burns off the same calories as running. Plus you always feel great when you get home after it -

Or you could do what I did last year and have breafast and lunch as normal, but when it comes to your dinner have a cereal instead of a big slap up of a meal - bit like that cereal diet they had at the back of the cereal boxes. Do that for a month, always makes a difference - I lost a stone with it -

Anyways, hope some of that helped -
    Good Luck -- Xxx
  • Options
    Why don't u try the slimming world diet? Red Days and Green days? I've lost 5 stone 3lbs in a year and I am very pleased with myself and I still get to eat like a pig.

I didn't put any weight on while I was pregant, I actually came out 2lbs lighter! It was sitting at home after I had him that finished me off and it just piled on!
  • Options
    Originally posted by Joolyknockers
    Why don't u try the slimming world diet? Red Days and Green days? I've lost 5 stone 3lbs in a year and I am very pleased with myself and I still get to eat like a pig.

I didn't put any weight on while I was pregant, I actually came out 2lbs lighter! It was sitting at home after I had him that finished me off and it just piled on!

well i am 2 stone heavier than i was pre pregnancy, but its my own fault as i stuffed my face. I don't just sit home now so i am ok now. I just need to shift it.
    Is slimming world the one you gotta pay for?
  • Options

that was the same for me! I was back in me size 10s a week after I had my little girl!

Then I managed to put on 2 stone in the 6 months sitting around with a new born baby :(

I started to lose it when she was about 1, like rainbowbrite said, just pushing her everywhere in the buggy. Tones up yer arms real good too, especially when they get a bit heavier :) And i've been back to pre-pregnancy weight since.
  • Options
    well i am 2 stone heavier than i was pre pregnancy, but its my own fault as i stuffed my face. I don't just sit home now so i am ok now. I just need to shift it.
    Is slimming world the one you gotta pay for?

Yeah unfortunatley, it's 10 quid to join and then 3.95 a class after, but you get all the books and lots of support. I guess if u joined up and went for a couple weeks u would get the hang of it and be able to do it yourself at home. I haven't got the will power and need the weekly kick up the bum to keep going though!
  • Options
    Yeah unfortunatley, it's 10 quid to join and then 3.95 a class after, but you get all the books and lots of support. I guess if u joined up and went for a couple weeks u would get the hang of it and be able to do it yourself at home. I haven't got the will power and need the weekly kick up the bum to keep going though!

Yeah will have to see, can't really afford it.
  • Options
    It's eat less and exercise more.

The weather is hot, so instead of sitting at home just go out walking with the little 'un- you should get one of those holster-thingies. Walking burns off loads of calories.

It depends where the weight has gone- swimming is good for all-round exercise, so is cycling if the weight is on your thighs and arms.

If you feel snacky drink water first, to see if it is thirst, and grill everything instead of frying it. For tea eat things like fresh fish and grilled chicken salads instead of fatty food, and try to cut down on pointless carbs, not just choccie.
  • Options
    I wouldn't say 'eat less, exercise more' It's not always about how much you eat, it's about what you eat...

Cut down on eating full fat foods, replace with fresh veg...

Also, if you drink semi-skimmed milk, try to swap to skimmed milk. I lost about a stone just by changing my milk....

Ilora x
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit

The weather is hot, so instead of sitting at home just go out walking with the little 'un- you should get one of those holster-thingies.

Oh my god, have u ever tried to carry anything larger than a newborn baby in one of those thing?? The pain and backache is never worth it!! lol
  • Options
    Oh my god, have u ever tried to carry anything larger than a newborn baby in one of those thing?? The pain and backache is never worth it!! lol
    Oh i dunno, I didnt even buy a buggy till lenny was 3mths. I always carried him in his carrier till then.
    He still gets carried a lot or sits on my shoulders, although hes a bloody weight now. Keeps me fit.
  • Options
    Originally posted by rainbow brite
    Oh i dunno, I didnt even buy a buggy till lenny was 3mths. I always carried him in his carrier till then.
    He still gets carried a lot or sits on my shoulders, although hes a bloody weight now. Keeps me fit.

Fair play to you! I had one of the flimsy-ish ones where most of the weight is put on your neck. It hurt!

I used to push the pram for miles and miles to get exercise, and it was nice cos he would fall asleep and I would get some peace.
  • Options
    The only problem is, which is why i find it hard, like now, i had lunch 12ish now i have had to have something to snack on as i literally have the shakes. Teas not ready yet. This is my problem, its like i get low blood sugar levels & need something soon or i feel faint. :s.
    I have no idea what to do.
  • Options
    The only problem is, which is why i find it hard, like now, i had lunch 12ish now i have had to have something to snack on as i literally have the shakes. Teas not ready yet. This is my problem, its like i get low blood sugar levels & need something soon or i feel faint. :s.
    I have no idea what to do.
    maybe because 5 hours is too long to go without eating.

Thing is, its easy for me to say, im not the one with a 3mth old baby, but you need to have an eating routine.
    eat breakfast at a certain time 8.30 for example, something filling like porridge (oats so simple or ready brek, bearing in mind you wont have time to make porridge) or muesli. Dont bother with things like cornflakes or rice crispies as they only fill you up for about an hour. I always feel more hungry quite quickly after those sort of breakfasts. Toast is also a crap unfilling breakfast - you need loads to feel like youve had anything decent.
    have a bit of fruit at about 10.30 or 11, and then lunch at 12ish. Again make sure its something thats gonna keep you going. Cheap white bread is all air and doesnt fill you up, so if your having a sandwich, make sure its made with good quality wholemeal or granary bread - seriously fills you up for much longer. Ham is a better choice than cheese. Bacons fine as long as its grilled and the fat cut off. put cucumber lettuce and tomato in sandwiches to bulk it out, and an easy way of getting veg into you. It feels like a proper meal then. try not to fill it up with mayo unless you get the extra light stuff, because normal mayonaise is practically pure fat.
    A yoghurt is a nice sweet thing to have after, as long as its not full fat thick and creamy, or greek. or maybe an icelolly as theyre usually pretty low cal.
    That should keep u going till 3ish, when you could have some more fruit, a banana and an apple perhaps?

Have tea at about 5 or 6.
    What sort of thing would you normally have for tea?
  • Options
    Try snacking on fruit?
  • Options

What sort of thing would you normally have for tea?

Thanks, well for breakfast i tend to have toast as i can do that whilst waiting for James bottle to warm but i think the porridge thing is a good idea.

I do have a sarnie for lunch but tend to have white bread as i prefer it but again will change that. I do however have ham not cheese.

As for tea, well tbh Chris cooks most of the time so i have what he does. Most nights its say a piece of pork, green beans & Pots.
    Althoguh others its oven cips, chicken grill things & beans.
  • Options
    Originally posted by *lil~miss*
    Try snacking on fruit?

Thats the thing, i'm fussy, i eat bananas alot but i don't really like much else. i will eat apples but i dont realy like them much.
  • Options
    You are ment to eat 6 small meals through out the day.
  • Options
    Do you not like any other fruit? What about raw veg like carrots?
  • Options
    You are ment to eat 6 small meals through out the day.

Thats not possible with a demanding baby.
  • Options
    Do you not like any other fruit? What about raw veg like carrots?

Not really & no raw veg is yuck. I do like salad.
  • Options
    Thanks, well for breakfast i tend to have toast as i can do that whilst waiting for James bottle to warm but i think the porridge thing is a good idea.

I do have a sarnie for lunch but tend to have white bread as i prefer it but again will change that. I do however have ham not cheese.

As for tea, well tbh Chris cooks most of the time so i have what he does. Most nights its say a piece of pork, green beans & Pots.
    Althoguh others its oven cips, chicken grill things & beans.
    That sounds OK, definitely try changing the bread though, youll be surprised.
    I think youd notice a difference changing your breakfast too. I always feel really hungry about an hour after eating toast, and once youve put butter etc on it, its not a particularly low cal brekkie. Two slices of toast and butter would have the same cals as a bowl of muesli with SS milk, but the muesli would keep you going for longer.
    The trick is to not let it feel like you are dieting, because then its depressing. make sure you still treat yourself every now and again, just not too much.
    As for the dinner, that sounds OK, but it doesnt sound like your getting much fruit or vegetables in your diet, youd be surprised how much they fill you up and how you quickly get a taste for them. Buy frozen vegetables as then you can just microwave small portions for yourself if you think your other half wouldnt be keen, and frozen veg means none gets wasted as you dont have to use it all up in a week. Its also actually fresher and better for you than non frozen veg. Get used to having loads and loads of veg with your meal, and sprinkle a little salt and pepper on it rather than putting butter on it, or have tomato sauce to dip it in.
  • Options
    Make up a bowl of salad then and then snack on it trought the day maybe?
  • Options
    Thanks. Btw is sweetner ok to have a little on breakfast instead of sugar? I couldn't eat porridge without it.
  • Options
    Thanks. Btw is sweetner ok to have a little on breakfast instead of sugar? I couldn't eat porridge without it.
    well I guess so, but sweetners have other health risks, and a teaspoon of sugar is actually only about 15 calories, which isnt much. I cant eat breakfast without sugar.
    Its up to you obviously if you want to use artificial sweetners, but I personally wouldnt advise it.
  • Options
    well I guess so, but sweetners have other health risks, and a teaspoon of sugar is actually only about 15 calories, which isnt much. I cant eat breakfast without sugar.
    Its up to you obviously if you want to use artificial sweetners, but I personally wouldnt advise it.

I never knew that, i have sweetners in my cups of tea when i have one.:eek2:
  • Options
    Originally posted by Bunnykins
    Get yourself a big jar of Splenda, it doesn't have aspartame or anything else like that in it. Made from sugar but only has 1 or 2 calories per teaspoon.

Its still not 100% safe, although its a lot better option than aspartame or acesulfame k.
    Saccharin is the safest out of all the artificial sweetners, as the only bad effect that had in trials, was to increase the risk of bladder cancer in rats (when taken in high doses) Aspartame has a lot of health risks. Just type aspartame into google and see what it comes up with. or heres one of the links. Its pretty scary stuff, and although its hard to avoid it completely as its in so much stuff, id personally steer clear of sprinkling the stuff on my cereal neat, or having spoons of it in my tea.