Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Atkins...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I've just started a new healthy eating plan - cutting out carbs... not all carbs, but mainly potatoes, pasta, dairy etc. *I'm a potato-holic!*

What are your opinions on the Atkins diet, and what do you think about the media coverage it's had from people like Claire Sweeney's claims 'I fainted on the Atkins diet'....?

Ilora x

Comments

• Options
    I read the book and I start the diet in july so I have lotsa time to prepare etc.

I think its a good idea, as long as you keep your water intake up as the first few days you do lose water-even if its not the aktins. That may even have been what led claire to faint. Or maybe she should have had a check up first before doing it?

Let us know how it goes.
  • Options
    Will do! Thanks..

Anyone else with experiences/opinions?

Ilora x
  • Options
    i had terrible cravings for orange juice and fruit. I also found it hard not having sandwiches for lunch, meant i had to think that much more about what to have for lunch.
    Its not too bad after the 2 week induction and i did lose quite a bit of weight..... then i got pregnant and it all seemed like a waste of time!!!

No really tho, just see if its for you. I personally found the grapefruit diet much better coz i got my fill off fruit juice, but atkins isn't that bad, if you do it properly, with the vitamins and stuff
  • Options
    Dr. Atkins died by slipping on ice and cracking his head open. Any claims that he died of heart failure are simply urban myths.

The Atkins Diet is highly dangerous, however, and should not be recommended for use by any person.

The simple fact is that the only safe way to lose weight is to eat less and exercise more.
  • Options
    the atkins diet is evil, so stop right now. it you are gonna do on a diet go the hawian one because you don't cut any thing out you just eat more veg and fruit. and you have to exersize to lose weight safely and to keep it off. the atkins diet is really bad for your heart, liver, and your health in general, i have read the book and it's all crap. just exercize more and eat little and often, replace fatty snacks with fruit, and drink lots of water. or i recomend not eating sugar for a month, i felt so much better afterwards, but it's hard and after you often don't want to eat sugary things. but you do lose weight and feel lots better. but don't do this if your diabetic because it could kill you, though i think that if your a surtain type of diabetic eating too much can kill you too.
  • Options
    i haven't specifically tried the atkins diet, but since being told to cut out gluten, most of my carbs have gone.

and i felt like shit. and i looked like shit too. and yes, i have lost weight, but not in a good way, and my weight is unstable as hell, and can be anwhere within a stone of what it should be when i weigh myself. i'm bloated, and i'm tired, and i feel kind sick and achy.

then the doctor recommended eating loads of potatoes, so now i eat them like they're going out of fashion, and i do feel better.

also, if you're going to cut out dairy, you'll need to take calcium supplements, or your teeth and bones will crumble.

but generally, any faddy diet isn't healthy. especially one that requires you to cut out two major food groups.
  • Options
    The Atkins diet really isn't advisable to follow rigidly. Taking a few of the principles for a while is OK (such as cutting down but not cutting OUT carbs) but you have to have more fruit and vegetables in your diet than it suggests. Have a read of our feature on the diet here - it will show that the only way to keep the weight off forever is to be on The Atkins diet forever - much better to have a healthy, balanced diet and keep trim that way.
  • Options
    :no: dont do it. it can damage your kidneys and make your breath smell. it makes your breath smell cos something called ketones is produced, not good, (i know this as its something diabetics have to watch out for and its serious stuff). ketones basically means that your body is burning muscle instead of fat as there is not enough insulin being produced by your body to convert carbs into energy.
    if, as a diabetic, i have ketones i have to get in touch with the hospital asap. i dont imagine its too good for those without diabetes either. as loads have said before me just eat healthy and excercise!
  • Options
    Re: Atkins...
    Originally posted by Ilora-Danon
    I've just started a new healthy eating plan - cutting out carbs... not all carbs, but mainly potatoes, pasta, dairy etc. *I'm a potato-holic!*

as you said here, youre not planning on cutting out all carbs, which i think is ok. especially the ones that contain refined sugars such as chocolate, jam etc and the ones that contain processed carbs like bread and pasta. i think the strick atkins diet is bad, as people have said. but i dont think there is anything harmful in just reducing the about of carbs you consume and increasing the amount of fruit and veg you have, since both fruit and veg contain carbs still but at least theyre natural rather than manufactured crap:p ;)
  • Options
    The thing that bugs me is the no alcoho. I'm guessing that will be my downfall!

I think my gym attendance needs increasing (I haven't been as I been doing 18 assignments and comfort eating resulting in half a stone put on!)

So isn't there anyone on this site who has done atkins or a low carb style diet who haven't had a bad experience then?

Cus at themoment it doesn't look good!
  • Options
    People can preach... it's not gonna stop me though :lol:

Ilora x
  • Options
    People can preach... it's not gonna stop me though :lol:

Ilora x
    errrr...what was the point of asking then?:rolleyes:
  • Options
    Well Ilora-danon I will let you know on june 6 how it goes as I start mine on sat for two weeks induction, then back to a non strict aktins, just a low carb diet.

Though if it doesn't suit me I will let you know
  • Options
    Originally posted by rainbow brite
    errrr...what was the point of asking then?:rolleyes:
    Because I wanted to know how others got on with it, and their opinions... Doesn't mean I'm change my mind about doing it just because other people don't agree with it..

I simply was curious to see what other people think!

Ilora x
  • Options
    Just an update for ya!

I totally hated the diet after just a day. I gave up and now think its more wise to do the whole get some willpower and have a healthy diet option. I know only a day is silly but I felt so ill and drained and was already (sorry) constipated despite taking all the correct pills and potions the book suggests, so I gave up!

I've read on another thread some tips and at the end of exam week I start back at the gym three times a week with a healthy diet- i.e no snacking in front of the tv!

So all you anti aktins people were right!
  • Options
    I got sick of bacon after the first day :lol::lol::lol:

Yep. Atkins, is done :rolleyes: :lol::p

Ilora x
  • Options
    I was reading and then saw it on the health channel not to long ago, comparing the low carb and low fats diet. In the first two months people on the low carbs did lose more weight, but in the long run... either 6 or 12 months, there was no difference between the results of the two. And in my opinion cutting fats is a helluva lot easier than the carbs...
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    i suppose, like all diets, atkins suits some people and not others. my mum is on the atkins diet and she has lost alot of weight on it. however, it is one of these fad-type diets. if she starts eating carbohydrates at all then the weight will go back on. it is a diet you will have to be on for life, not just a short term thing. if you are wanting to lose weight in the short term or whatever then there are better ways of doing it.
  • Options
    Originally posted by stressedstar
    also gives you terrible breath! :yuck:

Exactly the same as when your body is starving...
  • Options
    i gained weight on the atkins and havent been able to lose as quickly as i was before afterwards.. that really pissed me off
  • Options
    My friend Carol, who has been a nurse for over 25 years follows the Atkins Diet but wouldn't advocate it for patients as she'd be crucified! And yeah, it does make her small a bit but she laughs that off.
  • Options
    I got sick of bacon after the first day :lol::lol::lol:

Yep. Atkins, is done :rolleyes: :lol::p

Ilora x

Lol same here! I never thought I'd be sick of bacon but I was too!I almost threw up when I ate my breakfast, how awful!