Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Self-diagnosis of STDs

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Anyone know if there's a website where you can self-diagnose an STD? A girlfriend's worried she's got one but she's too embarrassed to go to the doctor unless she thinks it's actually an STD and not just something that will go away. I've told her just to go, they've seen it all a million times, but she won't.

Comments

• Options
    Here's an article from the site that should help. It also lists various STIs and has some useful numbers to call if she's unsure about going to her GP.

Have I got an STI?

But please make sure she does get this checked out sooner rather than later.

Hope this helps.

Love Lu x
  • Options
    If your friend is concerned about an illness but does not want to visit a doctor then she should ring NHS Direct on 0845 46 47 and see what their advice is.
  • Options
    There is now a "do-it-yourself" test for chlamydia... you take the sample yourself and give it in at where you got the test kit from (like your GP surgery or wherever) and they test the sample you have provided. It looks like a big cotton bud and comes with instructions for what to do with it (basically put it up the vagina and twiddle it around a bit although I think they put it in better words on the leaflet).

But this could only tell her whether or not she's got chlamydia so not much use if she doesn't have a specific idea as to what she might have.
  • Options
    There is also a chance that your friend hasn't got an STI at all, but it could be a vaginal infection or something like that - equally as importnant to get checked out. Does hse really want to spend lots of money on different kits (I'm not even sure that there ARE kits for every STI) when she could be tested for everything quickly and easily at a clinic? If she goes to a special GUM clinic rather than her doctor, it's less embarrassing as that's what the clinics are for. Offer to go with her and show her lots of our content before hand so she's less embarrassed.
    Visit this page on the fpa site to find your nearest clinic.
    :)
  • Options
    Originally posted by spanner
    Does hse really want to spend lots of money on different kits (I'm not even sure that there ARE kits for every STI) when she could be tested for everything quickly and easily at a clinic?
    :)
    The DIY clap test is FREE as it's a new NHS screening program thingy. They are trying to get all women under 25 who's ever had sex to do it at some GP's. But it only tests for chlamydia, nothing else.

But yes, it's not really a good idea if she only thinks she might have something and she doesn't know what it is. Best get checked out properly.