Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

sex laws...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
i was just having a read of the bill http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/3675057.stm
on bbc news and apparantly the incest laws are being updated, to not just include blood relatives, but " Updating incest offences to cover not just blood relatives but also foster and adoptive parents and live-in partners."

i can understand for foster and adopted children, but two people who live under same roof, but two people could be doen for it, if they were previously step brother and sister, and are completly unrelated otherthan the fact some member of each persons their families was married to eachother

also the laws to prevent internet grooming are good but almost unenforcable without some form of entrapment since very few people keep logs of conversations which could be used as proof

anyway as a whole i think some laws that have been changed are good, such a men who got put on sex offenders list for gay sex, who had sex with a 16yr old at time or older will have their names removed, and that rape includes oral sex, and no consent can be from sleeping or disabled(though that part could get technical)

discuss.... (and dont land up on a argument about immigration!!!!!)

Comments

• Options
    Updating incest offences to cover not just blood relatives but also foster and adoptive parents and live-in partners.

There should be a time restriction on this. There is a difference between a 17 year old girl sleeping with her mum's boyfriend of two months and sleeping with her mum's boyfriend of five years.
  • Options
    yeh having a fixed time period though is odd cause if it was 3 yrs

someone who been wid their partner for 2yrs and 11 months culd be let off, so having a guideline time period would be a good idea
  • Options
    The Sexual Offences Act 2003 is a step[ in teh right direction, but too much of it panders to politics and not actually reforming the laws of rape and indecent assault.

Incest shouldn't include anyone otehr than blood relatives, though there should be an offence of having sex with a person you are in control over, which would include teachers, and so on. I don't really see the point of extended incest, and I don't think the Law Comission have ever suggested it.

Rape extending to include oral penetration is good, however it doesn't appear to still deal with the issue or pentration with objects other than the penis, and I note it is still not possible for a woman to rape somebody.

Basically the bill tidies a lot of things up, and that can only be a good thing. It still doesn't go far enough, but I'm glad the loophole that means a man can claim a child consented has been closed.