Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Math - trigonometri

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
How do I get about this excersize?

I have two different triangles, and get told that these facts abpply for both:
A = 50 degrees, a = 2,4 and b = 3

Now I need to calculate the rest of the sides and angles, but don't know how to, when there are two different solutions on how to do so.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    You've not explained it clear enough I'm afraid. What do you mean by 2,4? 2.4 or two quarters?

Also referring to a and b; lengths right? Where from? a to b is 2,4 and b to c is 3?

CM? MM?

edit: meh, i can't remember how to do it correctly :(
  • Options
    Originally posted by Xila
    You've not explained it clear enough I'm afraid. What do you mean by 2,4? 2.4 or two quarters?
    I think in some countries it is usual to use a comma when we would place a point.

And lower case letters refer to the length of the sides opposite that angle e.g. length a is referring to the side opposite the vertice labelled A. If I remember correctly...
  • Options
    If I remember rightly, a would be the side opposite A (so between B and C), and b is the side opposite B (between A and C). The units of measurement shouldn't make a difference.

It's a while since I've done any maths, let alone trigonometry. I'll give it a think over but I'm pretty sure there are others on here that are more capable of working it out and helping you.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Lil Laura
    If I remember rightly, a would be the side opposite A (so between B and C), and b is the side opposite B (between A and C). The units of measurement shouldn't make a difference.
    Yes. I have vague memories of school trig lessons coming back to me!!
  • Options
    Seeing as you know only one angle but two lengths you need to use the "cosine rule".

Cos A = (b squared + c squared - a squared) / 2bc
  • Options
    Yes we use a comma instead of a point. And yes capitals are angles, regular size are the sides opposite to the angle.
    I would know how to do this with the sinusrelation. But clearly that can't be valid, as I'd get one answer, and not two for the different triangles.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Randomgirl
    Seeing as you know only one angle but two lengths you need to use the "cosine rule".

Cos A = (b squared + c squared - a squared) / 2bc

I still only get on answer from that.
    Though should I see if I get different answers if trying one triangle with the cosine rule, and the other with the sine/sinus rules?
  • Options
    Re: Math - trigonometri
    Originally posted by Jacqueline the Ripper
    How do I get about this excersize?

I have two different triangles, and get told that these facts abpply for both:
    A = 50 degrees, a = 2,4 and b = 3

Now I need to calculate the rest of the sides and angles, but don't know how to, when there are two different solutions on how to do so.
    Thinking about it if two triangles have one angle and two lengths in common then surely the third length and the other two angles would also have to be the same for both triangles? The triangles in the picture don't look the same tho so maybe I've misunderstood the question.
  • Options
    Is the black triangle a right-angled triangle, and the red one an isoceles triangle? Would that even make a difference? :/
  • Options
    I still only get on answer from that.
    Though should I see if I get different answers if trying one triangle with the cosine rule, and the other with the sine/sinus rules?
    No. You should get the same answer whichever rule you use if you apply it correctly.
  • Options
    I'll skip the question, and hope I don't get asked that for my exam on monday :crazyeyes

Either waym since I am retarded as I am, then how do I solve the equation:
    4-4x^2/(x^2+2x+1)^2=0

?

I hate going through old math :mad:
  • Options
    I'll skip the question, and hope I don't get asked that for my exam on monday :crazyeyes

Either waym since I am retarded as I am, then how do I solve the equation:
    4-4x^2/(x^2+2x+1)^2=0

?

I hate going through old math :mad:
    By my rather dodgy maths... plus root one and minus root one work but not too sure if my method was valid or not.

Maybe wheresmyplacebo can help you as he's doing a degree in Chemistry with Maths if I remember correctly. We go to the same uni but he's in a higher maths class than me!
  • Options
    S'ok. Figured out the equation :)
    Now, it's justthe fucking triangles doing my head in :mad:
  • Options
    Anyone here with a calculater, that can do a linear regression for exponential equations, when given several coordinates?
  • Options
    Anyone here with a calculater, that can do a linear regression for exponential equations, when given several coordinates?

I got a calculator, dont think I know what the hell your talking about like :D
    I got ungraded in maths :lol: Hey seriously I did, was pathetic and still am :D
  • Options
    I wish I had my old A'Level textbook here, I used to find these questions piss-easy.

*sigh*

They key is in when you root the equation- the number can be two, of which the number on your calculator is only one.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit
    I wish I had my old A'Level textbook here, I used to find these questions piss-easy.

*sigh*

They key is in when you root the equation- the number can be two, of which the number on your calculator is only one.

Care to explain it again? Can't follow your thinking.
  • Options
    Care to explain it again? Can't follow your thinking.

I can't explain it very well, as I can't quite remember how to do it and I don't have my books to enhance my memory.

I think I mean that:

say x is 4. When you square root it root x can either be 2 or minus 2, because -2 X -2 = 4, or 2 X 2 = 4.

Soprry I'm not of more help, if I had my textbook I could have worked it out:(
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    You said you solved the equation, right?
    About the triangle, you must have been "thought" of what cosA or sinA are equal to if there's no 90 degree on the triangle. I don't remember what it's equal to, but it should be in your book or something.
    Gzatt, I used to rule at these things... Now I'm not even sure if I solved your equation right...
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit
    I can't explain it very well, as I can't quite remember how to do it and I don't have my books to enhance my memory.

I think I mean that:

say x is 4. When you square root it root x can either be 2 or minus 2, because -2 X -2 = 4, or 2 X 2 = 4.

Soprry I'm not of more help, if I had my textbook I could have worked it out:(

But a length cant be minus.
  • Options
    But a length cant be minus.

it can in quantum physics :D i think :confused:
  • Options
    So did you solve the equation or nor? And, is it like this?
    4-4x²
    = 0
    (x²+2x+1)²
  • Options
    Originally posted by Zalbor
    So did you solve the equation or nor? And, is it like this?
    4-4x²

= 0
    (x²+2x+1)²

The solution to that is 1 and -1, got the answer with the help of my graph-calculator, whom I'd be dead without.
  • Options
    I don't think it's both of them. You see, 4-4x²=0 <=> x=1 or x=-1, but there's another condition.
    If the fraction is 0, then the thing below, (x²+2x+1)² has to be different than zero. For x=1, that is 16, so x=1 is acceptable. But for x=-1 it's equal to 0, and 0/0 zero can't work like that. So it's only x=1, unless I remember this less than I think.
  • Options
    Hmm. Don't know. I just did it graphically.
  • Options
    I am very very grateful for your help, but I'd just got help to figure it out, so it wasn't needed. Oops.
    Sorry :blush:

But thanks, it's appericiated.
  • Options
    Lol, my maths exam is next Monday (not this monday, thankfully) and I'm working both the Friday and the Saturday nights before it, so that cuts down my revision time somewhat. Hopefully it'll go ok.

We seem to do maths differently from you, Tal - we'd do very little of that graphically, despite the fact that I have a lovely graphics calculator.
  • Options
    We do a lot of graphic. In the exam it's not unusual for them to ask us to do stuff by the graph-calculator and not by hand/head.
  • Options
    I get told that I have a square.
    The length = x, and the width(sp?) = y
    x>y and the space is 15, while the circumference is 16.

Now, I can see that x=5, while y = 3, but how do I prove it with calculations?

And also, I know that the root of the equation x^2-6x+5 = 0 is x=1 and x =5.
    But how do I find the definition-set (don't know if that's the word in English, I am guessing) of ln(x^2-6x+5 ) ?
  • Options
    And also, I know that the root of the equation x^2-6x+5 = 0 is x=1 and x =5.
    But how do I find the definition-set (don't know if that's the word in English, I am guessing) of ln(x^2-6x+5 ) ?
    The thing inside the ln (I don't know how to call it in english) has to be greater than zero.

x²-6x+5=0 => x=1 or x=5 , as you said.
    Let's say that A=x²-6x+5 .

Trying a number lower than 1, for example 0, A=5. So:
    For x<1, A>0.

For a number between 1 and 5, for example 2, A=-3. So:
    For 1<x<5, A<0.

For a number greater than 5, for example 10, A=45. So:
    For x>5, A>0.

So for A to be greater than zero, x has to be lower than 1 or greater than 5. The field of definition for ln(x²-6x+5) is (-œ, 1)u(5, +œ ) .
    I used œ as the symbol for infinite (there's no such symbol in this font) and u for "connection".

However, I have some things to say:
    1)The way you present a field of definition is possibly different that the way we do, so don't just copy these things over. Also, you might not have been taught about infinite, but I know of no other way to describe a field of definition.
    2)Which grade are you in? This is like what we did in 9th, but you must be older than that.
    3)(And by far most important) Coming to a forum and asking for answers to your problems isn't going to help you. Don't you have teachers and books over there? I'm sure you do. You're supposed to listen to your teachers, ask them questions and read your books so that you will UNDERSTAND how to find the solutions on your own. Asking for a little help isn't that wrong, but if you're going to succeed at your tests you must know how to find a solution to given problems. For example, in your book there's supposed to be proof of why what I said for this answer is correct, and you might be asked to prove it yourself. Studying isn't finding answers in any possible way, but learning what you're supposed to learn. As for the solution to the square (which can't be a square, or it would be x=y) the answer is so ridiculously easy that you could just open your book and read it.

Sorry for the lecture, but you must learn to do things yourself.