Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Questions for John Bercow M.P.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
In a similar style to last week, i have the opportunity to listen to and questions to the Conservative M.P. John Bercow. I have tried some researching, but it seems the only relevent thing at the moment is his anti Europe stance. Can anyone help me with some questions to ask him please? Good ones, i want to give him a hard a time as possible and i want him to know that i don't support the Conservatives one bit. So far im probably wearing my 'Red Ken' t-shirt ;) Seriously though, i would like some good things to ask and if you could help me it would be great :)

Comments

• Options
    'Do you think you would be more electable if you rediscovered the values you espoused when in the Monday club?'

answer is probably yes
  • Options
    Why do the right try to portray Blair as a control freak megalomaiac but then claim he is trying to give power away to Europe? :confused:
  • Options
    Originally posted by Toadborg
    Why do the right try to portray Blair as a control freak megalomaiac but then claim he is trying to give power away to Europe?
    :lol: Classic!

What about why do his party try to be elected to Europe if they are opposed to the European parliament. Standard question, I know.
  • Options
    Cheers, i am particually fond of the latter two. I want to watch him squirm :p
  • Options
    Well then, he seemed ok ish, for a Tory though he did seem a bit of a smug git as well anyway i managed to ask the questions.

Why do his party try to be elected to Europe if they are opposed to the European Parliament?

What he replied was basically:

They are relevent public elections (although he says for not for a good parliament) and said something about the Conservatives making sure things dont to fast. To which i replied "So the role of the Conservatives is to just get on the nerves of the parliament and hold everyone back" He replied that they are there to scrutinise. Then he also made reference to him being asked something similar about the Welsh Assembly in 1998.

Why do the right portray Blair as a control freak but then claim he is trying to give power away to Europe?

He basically said that the two things can go together and that the Prime Minister is a centraliser. (Though he said he thought as a person he was a good man:confused: )

I also asked him as he is the Shadow Minister for International Development, Should Third World debt he cleared?
    He answered No to this stating that they would just get into debt again.

Other generally factoids about him. He thought Major was useless, was against Maastricht, had no respect for Duncan Smith and seemed to think that he was a good impressionist parodying Hague and Blair.

That is my report. :)
  • Options
    Thanks for asking my question!

Not a very convincing answer though.....

The debt thing interests me, it is quite a complex issue. Did he say that they were against any debt relief or do they want conditional debt relief?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Toadborg
    Thanks for asking my question!

Not a very convincing answer though.....

The debt thing interests me, it is quite a complex issue. Did he say that they were against any debt relief or do they want conditional debt relief?

Yeah he didn't answer it very well, i was taking notes and everything so i am going by what i have written down...

The debt issue, He argues that totally clearing it will be wrong because they will just do the same again. I am not sure what he thought about the type of debt releif. I would assume he would be more in favour of the latter. As he did suggest that some more corrupt LEDC governments have just been pocketing the money.
  • Options
    Yes I have read some interesting studies, basically the nations that get the most debt relief tend to be those that get back into debt the most easily and there is little to show for the money because it is spent in the most effective way.

It is difficult though because if you say they can only have the money if they behave better, and they refuse then you leave the noirmal polulation in a mess and the govt ain't gonna care because it will probab;ly not be the most democratic place.........