Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

LOL- Saddam is suing the UK for war crimes

http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30000-1135099,00.html :lol:

I'm really looking forward to his trial. It could yet prove a major embarrassment for the US and British governments.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Unless they manage to have him executed in time ...
  • Options
    Re: LOL- Saddam is suing the UK for war crimes
    Originally posted by Aladdin
    http://www.sky.com/skynews/article/0,,30000-1135099,00.html :lol:

I'm really looking forward to his trial. It could yet prove a major embarrassment for the US and British governments.

Personally I'd prefer to see Saddam face justice for the tens of (hundreds of?) thousands he's killed and tortured.

Based on Saddam's record on human rights and war crimes how can he sue anyone for war crimes?

Perhaps the new Iraqi government could sue, or an organisation representing the families of the prisoners.
  • Options
    And why the hell not?

He is just as entitled to justice as ANY one else. Yes this bloke is defending Sadam, but everyone should have the right to a fair trial.

Its a mockery that the US hasnt signed up to this court given all their talk about human rights abuse else where.

I think this should go ahead, if there is evidence that this happened (and I think it did) then why shouldnt they get punished in the same way?
  • Options
    In theory anyone could sue on regard of the victims couldn't they? Even a member of the public from another country.

And yes, maybe Blair but particularly Bush have done enough in the last 2 and a half years for a war crimes trial to go ahead. Don't expect that to happen though...

As for Saddam, I remain highly skeptical of the 'trial' he's to be put to. At the end of the day any normal trial would have round the clock coverage and maybe even live TV feeds. Would the Americans risk having Saddam take to the witness box and spill the beans on the very long and productive relationship he had with successive US governments for many years?

Or the stockpiles of WMDs we sold him?
  • Options
    Justice should be blind.

We bitch about suspects being held without trial and without a lawyer in Cuba, and just as they should get all the rights, so should he.

But as you say, its quite probably not going to happen. Too many vested interests.

Plus, would it not be better to put him before some sort of Iraqi court? That way maybe it wouldnt string along for years like anything in the Hague is bound to.
  • Options
    Aladdin, seems as if enjoying the shit which the US and UK are in...
  • Options
    What shit would that be?

Soldiers being killed, making an utter mess of their occupation and killing countless Iraqis in the process? Certainly not.

Saddam suing Britain for alleged war crimes, bringing Blair into account for waging an illegal war under false premises and causing the deaths of some 15,000+ Iraqi civilians plus tens of thousands of conscript soldiers, and being responsible as head of government for British troops' unlawful killings and human right abuses of Iraqis?

Yes, I would enjoy that IMMENSELY. And I make no apology whatsoever for it. Who wouldn’t enjoy it?

If only the mad murdering Texan had signed to the International War Crimes Tribunal like the rest of the civilised world did, we could be having an even more interesting day at the court.

As a matter of fact it's a damn shame Saddam, Bush and Blair are not made to sit on the same bench in The Hague and be tried together for their crimes.

Don't you actually agree?
  • Options
    You forgot Sharon in that line up.
  • Options
    Aren't you being a bit hard on poor Sharon Lukesh?
  • Options
    Whatever Blair / Bush have done will not equal the cold-blooded psycopathacally evil reign of terror that was Saddams
  • Options
    That might be true but still does not mean Bush and Blair are necessarily innocent or that they should be excused for their actions because Saddam is worse than them.

And while we are at it other people could be brought to justice as well; namely past heads of government and their ministers from the US, Britain, France and any other nation that happily supplied Saddam with all sorts of weapons and even encouraged him to commit the atrocities he committed.

No wonder the Americans don't want Saddam to be tried properly by The Hague. Imagine the Pandora’s box that would be open if the defence start calling ex-Presidents and Prime Ministers as witnesses.
  • Options
    The lesser of two evils still isn't a defence. The coalition has done nothing compared to the horrific things that took place under Saddam, but coalition forces and their governments are still doing wrong and should be punished, only to a lesser extent.
    Lets see him hanged on TV! Actually put him in prison so he can get beat up all of them time.

Hey, even better, let's cut his head off.
  • Options
    Realistically does rule of International Law apply to the US president, I don't think so

I'd enjoythough the sight of Blair arrested and imprisoned
  • Options
    What shit would that be?

Soldiers being killed, making an utter mess of their occupation and killing countless Iraqis in the process? Certainly not.

Saddam suing Britain for alleged war crimes, bringing Blair into account for waging an illegal war under false premises and causing the deaths of some 15,000+ Iraqi civilians plus tens of thousands of conscript soldiers, and being responsible as head of government for British troops' unlawful killings and human right abuses of Iraqis?

Yes, I would enjoy that IMMENSELY. And I make no apology whatsoever for it. Who wouldn’t enjoy it?

If only the mad murdering Texan had signed to the International War Crimes Tribunal like the rest of the civilised world did, we could be having an even more interesting day at the court.

As a matter of fact it's a damn shame Saddam, Bush and Blair are not made to sit on the same bench in The Hague and be tried together for their crimes.

Don't you actually agree?

I don't agree, and the majority of British people won't agree. Why? Who the hell do you think will end up paying for it? How much did you pay in taxes last month? Being a foreign national, do you actually pay taxes?
    I hope somebody shoots that fucking French lawyer, any other lawyer sueing the government and Saddam for even attempting the idea.
  • Options
    Whatever you think of Bush & Blair, Saddam doesn't deserve to be heard, he should just shut up and accept a life in prision which is what he deserves.
  • Options
    Originally posted by J
    That'll cause some confusion in the minds of some of the muslims. I thought America was predominantly christian, now they execute people instead of giving them some form of forgiveness? :confused:
    (I guess it's ok for the top bods to hide behind the numbers)

I'm just not into executions. Some people change and end up doing good things, things that just couldn't have been done any other way.

I was actually being facetious. I agree with you wholeheartedly.
  • Options
    No, Sadam totally deserves to be heard, he deserves to be treated in the same way as ANY other person who has been acused of a crime.

Thats the way it should work. Human rights are NOT selective.

As for being pleased the war is going badly, and that war crime trials may take place, how can I, or anyone be pleased about that?!

You may not like either Bush or Blair but to be pleased its going wrong is just sick if you ask me. We're talking about people lives!
  • Options
    Originally posted by Whowhere
    I don't agree, and the majority of British people won't agree. Why? Who the hell do you think will end up paying for it? How much did you pay in taxes last month? Being a foreign national, do you actually pay taxes?
    I hope somebody shoots that fucking French lawyer, any other lawyer sueing the government and Saddam for even attempting the idea.
    Not that it has anything to do with this issue but I suspect I've paid many more thousands of Pounds in taxes in this country than you have.
  • Options
    Originally posted by bongbudda
    You may not like either Bush or Blair but to be pleased its going wrong is just sick if you ask me. We're talking about people lives!

Whose lives? If it's not ours it's the people trying to attack us. At best war is only 50% efficient since at least one side has to lose.
  • Options
    I was suggesting that being pleased the Iraq war is going badly because you want to see Bush fail is crazy.

I would love to see this going really well, not because I like any of the people who took us to war but because of the problems it is creating.

The Middle East is in serious termoil, the English are getting to be as hated as the Americans, terrorism is going up, 100's if not thousands of Iraqis are dying...the list goes on.

How can ANYONE be happy about that?!
  • Options
    Who is happy about it?
  • Options
    Not that it has anything to do with this issue but I suspect I've paid many more thousands of Pounds in taxes in this country than you have.

And you want to see that being spent on something like this?
    I don't, they can fuck off if they think we're paying for Blair's mistake.
  • Options
    Frankly money doesn't come into it. What it would cost is insignificant compared with the importance and significant of addressing alleged war crimes commited by our government.

And even in pure economic terms, whatever such trial might cost would be a piece of piss compared with the tens of billions we are spending on the war and subsequent occupation.