Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Dress On Ebay...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I bought a dress off Ebay, but it doesn't fit...

How would I go about selling it on Ebay myself?
Has anyone sold anything on Ebay, and if so, any tips or advice for a first time seller?

Ilora x

Comments

• Options
    I sold some CDs on eBay during one of those days where you can sell things without having to pay any fees, so I can't help you there - although they have one of these once every couple of months, if you want to wait.

There's a step by step process once you've chosen to sell something. It gives you categories to choose from, then categories within the categories - for your dress, you would have to categorise it under clothing and accessories, then women's clothing, then maybe size - think that might just be in America though. Then you choose whether to sell it just to the UK, or to abroad, or whatever. Then you put how much postage and packing will be, and whether you will provide insurance as an extra, and how long you want it to be in the listings. Then you create a description. This can include photographs and decorative borders etc, though I think you may have to pay more. TBH, in clothing, everyone's going to want to see a picture so it's worth paying more, if so.
  • Options
    I've sold loads of stuff on ebay, most of the time it only cost you about 20p to list.
  • Options
    I just posted my very first sale yesterday so I can tell you as a first timer it was very easy. Just don't rush and read eveything carefully. Try to do a piccie- i cudn't this time as my dad had the camera but I will for any other sales.

Check your spellings too! You can have one picture for free.

They had one of those free days if you registered yesterday-well i had an email, but I'd already registered so even though i hadn't put nothing up for sale before i still had to pay. Still it was only 15p!!!

Hope you manage ok! If you worry bout P&P costs you can always say you will refund any overcharges if you want.

P.S LOve ya Avator btw! had a dream I got all their cds for free last night, ahhhh
  • Options
    Thanks for the advice guys :) If it only cost 15p or something, then It'll be fiiine! I just don't wanna end up with the same amount of money I paid for it, a liiittle profit would be nice!

*To Jowolvo, www.himonline.tv and http://him-online.bmg-online.com/phpbb - Official UK HIM website and forum... Go check it out ;) *

Ilora x
  • Options
    I'm still needing bids on this dress.... so come on girls, check it out...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=53335&item=4151493499&rd=1

Ilora x
  • Options
    Originally posted by Ilora-Danon
    I'm still needing bids on this dress.... so come on girls, check it out...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=53335&item=4151493499&rd=1

Ilora x
    Ilora, i think i can safely say that your auction is doing incredibly well already, considering you have still got 2 days left on the auction, and have got 7 bids (assuming that you havent got your friends to bid on it for you to raise the price, because thats not allowed and will get you thrown off ebay)
    Most auctions dont get any bids till the last few hours as people keep the auction in their watch list till then, rather than bidding, to try and keep the price down.
    Considering youre a brand new seller with no feedback, your auction is going amazingly and I bet you get loads for it.
  • Options
    I've just put a few CD's for sale up on ebay. Sold my first one at the end of last week! ...for a mighty £2.50 Just about covers the cost of putting the others up for auction. Ah well, hopefully I'll get more interest in the rest.
  • Options
    Originally posted by rainbow brite
    Ilora, i think i can safely say that your auction is doing incredibly well already, considering you have still got 2 days left on the auction, and have got 7 bids (assuming that you havent got your friends to bid on it for you to raise the price, because thats not allowed and will get you thrown off ebay)
    Most auctions dont get any bids till the last few hours as people keep the auction in their watch list till then, rather than bidding, to try and keep the price down.
    Considering youre a brand new seller with no feedback, your auction is going amazingly and I bet you get loads for it.
    Oooh, I didn't think I was doing well...

I don't believe in cheating. All 7 bids are from real bidders, not my mates! That's just wrong.. lol

I hope the reserve is met before it ends.... :confused:

Ilora x
  • Options
    It should go well!
    My mum buys and sells loads of stuff on ebay, she sits on the site for the last 5 minutes of the sale in a bidding frenzy. Everyone tries to get their bids in at the very end so they can't be outbidded! The price can shoot up a lot in a very short time!
    Good Luck :)
    Lol x
  • Options
    is it far to go till the reserve price?
  • Options
    Bidding has just gone up 6 quid :D so the reserve price is about a tenner more than the highest bid atm

Ilora x
  • Options
    just a hint, but you still have to pay ebay fees for something even if it doesnt sell, so that is always a risk by having a high reserve price. I always find things go for more without a reserve price, but then of course you run the risk of it not meeting it and still having to sell for that price.
    I know I tend to ignore things with a reserve price.
  • Options
    I just need my money back on the dress... I'm in debt as it is.. the ebay fee's I can just about fund...!

Ilora x
  • Options
    A fiver more, and it's yours....

Ilora x
  • Options
    I do like the way youve described the dress I must say. I need to hire you to do my descriptions when I sell stuff LOL. I think the way its worded can make a big difference to how appealling it is to buyers.
  • Options
    Oh well, looks like you set your reserve price too high. Are you gonna sell it for that price or try again? Bearing in mind you might not even get that much for it next time.
    Is that less than what you paid for it?
  • Options
    Originally posted by rainbow brite
    Oh well, looks like you set your reserve price too high. Are you gonna sell it for that price or try again? Bearing in mind you might not even get that much for it next time.
    Is that less than what you paid for it?
    That's what I was wondering.
  • Options
    It all worked out fine in the end.. ish. lol.

I then sold the dress for the reserve price 10 minutes after bidding ended.

I then got an email this mornin from the highest bidder asking to pay privately for it. Offering me no more than 60 quid *kick myself in the foot or what*...

But yes, the dress has gone to a good home, for exactly the amount I paid for it lol.

Ilora x
  • Options
    Originally posted by Ilora-Danon
    It all worked out fine in the end.. ish. lol.

I then sold the dress for the reserve price 10 minutes after bidding ended.

I then got an email this mornin from the highest bidder asking to pay privately for it. Offering me no more than 60 quid *kick myself in the foot or what*...

But yes, the dress has gone to a good home, for exactly the amount I paid for it lol.

Ilora x
    I'm glad you got your money back on it!