Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

NEWS in NI

Nearly a third of young lesbian and gay people in Northern Ireland have tried to kill themselves because of ongoing persecution and bullying, according to a new survey.

Just over 29% of gay respondents to the Department of Education poll said they had attempted suicide, with as many as 50% saying they suffered some sort of bullying regarding their sexuality.

Additionally, 26% of young people self-harmed as a way of dealing with the pressures they faced regarding their sexuality.

Carried out online through the Youthnet group, and supporting partners throughout the region, the survey also reveals that lesbian and gay teenagers and young people are 20 times more likely to suffer eating disorders then their heterosexual peers.

Campaigning groups say the research is evidence that authorities in the region need to "wake up" to the issue of young lesbian and gay people.

"This report makes very stark reading which reflects the isolation these young people are facing here," Youthnet director Dennis Palmer says.

It follows a survey last year that found homophobia to be "normal and justifiable to many" throughout Northern Ireland, with 8 out of 10 people suffering verbal and physical abuse at a regular occurrence.

The study led to a stand off between local police and gay rights groups Northern Ireland Gay Rights Association (NIGRA), who warned that the police were not acting quickly enough to stamp out homophobia.

However the PSNI said they worked hard to ensure all reports were followed up and homophobic hate crime was dealt with effectively.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Heh, I didn't realise the Christians there were so conservative.
  • Options
    They can be.
  • Options
    I heard about this on radio four a while ago, its not only the gay issue that is causing the massively high sucicide rates in NI.

There is the somewhat un-othodox enforcement of law and order by other groups which can cause problems.
  • Options
    True very true they don't help sutuations.
  • Options
    There is also a rising problem of glue sniffing if the reports I heard are to be believed. Thats surely not going to help anything.
  • Options
    I have not heard any thing about that :eek:
  • Options
    They mentioned it in the report I heard and interviewed one person who was caught sniffing by a certain 'group' who then in an unpleasant way showed him the error of his ways.

I'll try and look into it and see what I can dig up. But as I said it was a radio report so somewhat difficult to quote.
  • Options
    I know what you mean i work with lots of young people who do drugs and rape and lots of diffrent situations so i can go into much about what i do.
  • Options
    Holy shit I'm good, have a look at this link;

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/northern_ireland/3317629.stm
  • Options
    Thanks that is a good report.
  • Options
    Its a little brief of course, but then you could go to the 'solve it' website as well, they are a purely solvent based information service and presure group. I'm not sure of their actually address though.

What sort of work do you do with young drug users if you dont mind me asking?
  • Options
    I help to get them support to get off the drugs. And if they want suppport from me only i will arrange to give this support.
  • Options
    Like what sort of help?

I'm a bit of 'interested party' in that field myself, if you stray into the 'Drugs' section you might realise that.

I'm just curious as to what sort of help there is out there.
  • Options
    I would like to add to that that perhaps it is not simply persecution that is to blame. I've found in my experience (albeit limited) that uncertainty about sexuality can lead to depression, and on to suicide, ratehr than it being a direct resulty of bullying.

I'd not be surprised to see similar figures in most parts of the country, and most parts of the world.
  • Options
    To be honest, I believe the place in which the vote has taken place is unfair. What I mean is many people who come onto the youthnet site already have problems and are seeking help - so would vote for suicide bids/self harming.

Before I get my head bitten off I said a lot of people - not all, I know I have not come onto the site for help regarding problems etc. but many people do, so what I'm saying is a greater percentage of people with problems will come onto the sites over people who are perfectly happy - making the vote slightly biased

Still, a third is a hell of a lot of people
  • Options
    I haven't been to NI so I can only repeat what has been reported in the press, but apparently the number of racist abuse incidents and beatings is absolutely shocking. I would imagine the same bigoted invididuals behind this would happily have a go at gay people too.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Aladdin
    I haven't been to NI so I can only repeat what has been reported in the press, but apparently the number of racist abuse incidents and beatings is absolutely shocking. I would imagine the same bigoted invididuals behind this would happily have a go at gay people too.

Unfortunately Yes - It's becoming a joke with the amount of narrow minded people you would find here.
    I mean, having religious issues is not enough, they have to bring colour and sexuality into it now -
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit
    I would like to add to that that perhaps it is not simply persecution that is to blame. I've found in my experience (albeit limited) that uncertainty about sexuality can lead to depression, and on to suicide, ratehr than it being a direct resulty of bullying.
    You're right, in my (limited) experience. Personally I've never had to deal with persecution over my sexuality, although it caused problems in a friendship when I came out, but my sexuality as something I had to deal with probably contributed to the fact that I started self-harming around the time I came out to a few of my friends. Obviously, I was depressed at the time as well, but I don't know how far being confused about my sexuality contributed to that. Again, I imagine it didn't help. Trying to come to terms with it took me years and there are still some days when I'm feeling really low that it just seems something else about me that's "wrong".

Hope that makes some kind of sense!
  • Options
    Out of interest because it still puzzles me, why did you come out to your friends?

Maybe its just me, but frankly I'd rather not discuss my sex life with my friends.
  • Options
    the reason why we have higher levels of attacks on these people is because it is mostly oragnised by paramilitary groups, something the rest of the Uk doesn't generally have, people become intimitated and commit suicide, sad situation i think
  • Options
    Originally posted by bongbudda
    Out of interest because it still puzzles me, why did you come out to your friends?

Maybe its just me, but frankly I'd rather not discuss my sex life with my friends.
    Well it's not about my sex life (I don't mind admitting that I have none and never have!), it's about relationships, isn't it? And it's harder than you might think to have everyone assume you like guys when you really don't. I guess it's not a big deal to come out. It's easier than making excuses for your total lack of a love life and trying to worm out of being set up with every guy going.
  • Options
    Fair enough I suppose. I have somewhat been there myself actually, a few of my mates thought I was gay. At the time my lack of female accompliment was far more to do with the girls in my town being scrubbers. But thats not the point.