Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

hcg, ovarian cysts and pregnancy

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
a good friend of mine has had a lot of problems recently with an ovarian cyst. it got a lot bigger than it should have and she should have gone for surgery to have it removed, however because of certain situations at the time she decided not to. it since decreased in size but is still present.

she's been late to come on her period this month, and has had a lot of unprotected sex as of late. so she did a pregnancy test and it came up positive, so she did another one and that was also positive. she then called her gynocologist (she sees a private guy about this cyst) as he said to her thewre was a chance she wouldnt be able to have children. he called her in straight the way and said it was probably the cyst that was releasing the pregnancy hormone (hcg), and that she would come on her period soon, and he was pretty adament about the fact that she is nearly infertile.

I dont understand how a cyst could release the pregnancy hormone, how it could get there without her being pregnant? now she came on her period the day after she saw him, and i've told her to wait til she comes off sagain and do another test, as neither of us really believe whats going on.

How on earth would the pregnancy hormone be in her sytem without her being pregnant? i know it can happen, but would a regular ovarian cyst honestly contain that particular hormone?

anyone have any knowledge of this? thanks

Comments

• Options
    Im not sure about your friends case obviously, but my mum was told she couldnt have any more children after my brother because of ovarian cysts and only having one fallopian tube. Noone believed her when she said she was pregnant and they tried to tell her it was a phantom pregnancy, but here I am :)
  • Options
    aw, so i could be aunty kat soon after all?! just wait till friday i think, hopefully we'll know more then, and hiya :wave:
  • Options
    I think i read sumwhere that it releases the same hormone because the body thinks its having a baby, not a cyst. And that theres only a small percentage of women that are able to get pregnant afterwards. Ive just asked jeeves n he brought loads of information up on it. But not much about the hormones. Sorry :(