Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

If you know .......

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
the fiddles when your unemployed, then your laughing.
People who have been on the dole all their lives, or vast majority of their lives know all the fiddles. They know exactly what they can claim, but when you get people who have worked most of their lives they just have not got a clue.

I think people who have been unemployed for X amount of years should be made to do voluntary work, let them start putting something back into society, not just go once a fortnight and sign their name on that dotted line.

What do you people think ?

Comments

• Options
    Re: If you know .......
    Originally posted by BeckyBoo
    the fiddles when your unemployed, then your laughing.
    People who have been on the dole all their lives, or vast majority of their lives know all the fiddles. They know exactly what they can claim, but when you get people who have worked most of their lives they just have not got a clue.

I think people who have been unemployed for X amount of years should be made to do voluntary work, let them start putting something back into society, not just go once a fortnight and sign their name on that dotted line.

What do you people think ?
    for years in north wales guys have been forced to maintain cliff top walks etc ...they get a tenner week extra for expenses ...never leads to anything.
    in a wy it looks like a prison chain gang when you come across them on your picnic ramble in the sun.
    looks more like some kind of pointless punishment.
    most jobs in the comunity are spoken for ...paying wages.
    if the governmentt sudden;ly send in chain gangs ...it brings wages down or creates job losses.
  • Options
    not just go once a fortnight and sign their name on that dotted line.

It's not like that, huge pressure from Client Advisors to connect with a non-existent dead-end job

I was watching the nu-Kilroy show , a young guy was saying he'd have to earn 2k a month to find dole-equivalent what with rent... Sonds a bit high but the rents in London are steep
  • Options
    Originally posted by ladymuck
    I was watching the nu-Kilroy show , a young guy was saying he'd have to earn 2k a month to find dole-equivalent what with rent... Sonds a bit high but the rents in London are steep

It's probably not all that extraordinary, £2k a month is only £24,000 pa, which is nothing in London. Or anywhere, in fact.

Simple fact is that for a lot of low earners the dole doesn't pay much less, or anything less at all, then actually going out to work. If they can get these tax credits to work then it'd help, because when you earn over £4,600 pa you pay tax, which has to be factored into job earnings but obviously not benefit earnings.

I'm still unsure what I think, because tempting as "making them work" sounds there is still the point about "chain gangs" and punishment. I've said before that if someone on the dole can afford expensive luxuries then they are earning too much, but how to solve the problem is a difficult one. Frank Field was sacked for "thinking the unthinkable" after being ordered to do so, so it's a problem that isn't going to go away for a while.
  • Options
    What fool is unemployed for YEARS??? How can they possibly survive on the dole for that period?

Unemployment benefit is wrong anyhow.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit
    It's probably not all that extraordinary, £2k a month is only £24,000 pa, which is nothing in London. Or anywhere, in fact.

Simple fact is that for a lot of low earners the dole doesn't pay much less, or anything less at all, then actually going out to work. If they can get these tax credits to work then it'd help, because when you earn over £4,600 pa you pay tax, which has to be factored into job earnings but obviously not benefit earnings.

I'm still unsure what I think, because tempting as "making them work" sounds there is still the point about "chain gangs" and punishment. I've said before that if someone on the dole can afford expensive luxuries then they are earning too much, but how to solve the problem is a difficult one. Frank Field was sacked for "thinking the unthinkable" after being ordered to do so, so it's a problem that isn't going to go away for a while.

£24,000 is around the average wage. So most probably earn around that figure.
  • Options
    oops i cant even remember posting this last night :blush:

I think i was annoyed that spongers/scroungers who have no intention of getting a job and expect the state to pay them to sit at home and do nowt need a good swift kick up the ass.
    Id been talking to someone and he was dead chuffed cos he knew all the fiddles so he got whatever he could off the social.
  • Options

How have you managed to survive being a student?

i assume you have less than 24k a year through uni?

:confused:
  • Options
    Originally posted by the sole liber

and 3.5 is the average throw of a dice, but have you ever done that?

The problem with averages like this is that they take into account those who are earning £1m which bring the "average" up. A better way of analysing this would be to look at the mode...
  • Options
    Would they be used for target practice? Would they be segregated from 'normal' people and sleep in their own barracks? Do tell...
  • Options
    Originally posted by Man Of Kent

The problem with averages like this is that they take into account those who are earning £1m which bring the "average" up. A better way of analysing this would be to look at the mode...

Median is best for wages actually........

That will be lower than the mean, 24k is a lot of money in my opinion, don't see how you can say otherwise really........
  • Options
    Originally posted by Toadborg
    Median is best for wages actually........

That will be lower than the mean, 24k is a lot of money in my opinion, don't see how you can say otherwise really........

Really? Yeah, I suppose I can see why median would be good.

£24k is a lot of money, certainly more than the majority of nurses earn. In fact, when you think about averages, it is probably much higher than the earnings of over 50% of the population...
  • Options

What the fuck are you on about?
  • Options
    Unemployment benefit is not wrong!! It's is needed.

However, my brother was on the dole for well over 7 years and never did a thing to get work. Now he's got work he's much happier but he definately enjoyed taking the piss for 7+ years.
  • Options

You suggested that as the average wage in this country is £24k then most people must be earning that, or thereabouts.

That is a moronic suggestion because averages include the highest and lowest figures. Although the lowest wage is only likely to be approx £20k less than the average, the highest wage is in excess of £1m higher than "average". The variation between the two is enormous and leads to meaningless statistics.

If you knew anything about statistics then you would understand that the highest wages here would drag the "average" to an high level and that, in reality, less than 50% of the population would earn £24k or even close.

In fact, it is more likely that 80% earn less than £24k.

An example of the massive variation, which ultimately leads to crap averages, is the average throw of a dice, which no-one will ever achieve. Thus underlining the futility of uch a statistic. I could also have used the example of having one foot in boiling water and one in ice. This would mean that "on average" my feet were at the perfect temperature. In reality I'd be in fucking agony.

Now, if you don't understand statistics like averages, I suggest that you don't use them. Unless you like looking stupid...
  • Options
    Just thought I would note that it is also mostappropriate to consider household rather than individual income.
  • Options
    You suggested that as the average wage in this country is £24k then most people must be earning that, or thereabouts.

That is a moronic suggestion because averages include the highest and lowest figures. Although the lowest wage is only likely to be approx £20k less than the average, the highest wage is in excess of £1m higher than "average". The variation between the two is enormous and leads to meaningless statistics.

If you knew anything about statistics then you would understand that the highest wages here would drag the "average" to an high level and that, in reality, less than 50% of the population would earn £24k or even close.

In fact, it is more likely that 80% earn less than £24k.

An example of the massive variation, which ultimately leads to crap averages, is the average throw of a dice, which no-one will ever achieve. Thus underlining the futility of uch a statistic. I could also have used the example of having one foot in boiling water and one in ice. This would mean that "on average" my feet were at the perfect temperature. In reality I'd be in fucking agony.

Now, if you don't understand statistics like averages, I suggest that you don't use them. Unless you like looking stupid...

Like I give a shit.

You spend most time on here correcting others and making yourself look big. Lack of self-esteem? Why so anal?
  • Options
    :lol:

sole liber you are digging to new lows of utter patheticness, amazing..........
  • Options
    Like I give a shit.

You spend most time on here correcting others and making yourself look big. Lack of self-esteem? Why so anal?

Better anal than arsehole.

If you think that it makes me "look big" then I'd ask which of us had the "esteem" problem.

Anywa, get it right and I wouldn't have to correct you in the first place, doofus.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Toadborg
    How have you managed to survive being a student?

i assume you have less than 24k a year through uni?

:confused:

Factor in two kids and £24k isn't very much.

As a couple the missus and I get about £7,000pa. We barely survive, and even then only due to the generosity of Mastercard, who I kindly keep putting my credit limit up. The fact that the rent is cheap saves me- if I lived in University, where rent is pushing £1000 per term, I wouldn't survive.

Simple fact is £2000 per month, for a family, isn't all that much, so it is believable. It's more than a lot of people have, but that is more a sad indictment of the state of the British employment market than the actual value of £24,000pa
  • Options
    JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    Like I give a shit.

That was uncalled for and well out of order. Cut out the personal comments and play nice.
  • Options
    Re: If you know .......
    Originally posted by BeckyBoo

Wouldnt that be a bad idea? I mean whats the point of forcing them to work when they clearly dont want to? Then you have the small percentage who really want to work, but cant find employment because of their status or academic record, and on top of that, the people who literally cant work.

There will always be unemployment, thats the only way society can maintain a balance, total employment wouldnt neccessarily be good for the economy or the environment.

As for the "im a tax payer, theyre scroungers" rant that im sure everyone has heard a million million times before...what? the government wouldnt tax us just as much with out the unemployed to support? of course it would, the MPs would just have Bentleys instead of Jags.
  • Options

Most who? :confused:
  • Options

Basic maths.
  • Options
    Factor in two kids and £24k isn't very much.

As a couple the missus and I get about £7,000pa. We barely survive, and even then only due to the generosity of Mastercard, who I kindly keep putting my credit limit up. The fact that the rent is cheap saves me- if I lived in University, where rent is pushing £1000 per term, I wouldn't survive.

Simple fact is £2000 per month, for a family, isn't all that much, so it is believable. It's more than a lot of people have, but that is more a sad indictment of the state of the British employment market than the actual value of £24,000pa

Didn't realise you had two kids!

You really need to get some perspective though, Britian is one of the richest countries in the world. Earning 24k makes you one of the richest people that has ever lived in the history of humanity, this is the basics........

I get by on a few hundred a month fine........:confused:
  • Options
    We have an income of just over £35k. I have two kids and, as Kermit says, it can be a struggle.

However, we used to get by with just unemployment benefit and Income Support.

I would argue that our expections have changed and so we will commit to many more expenses that we would have previously. Certainly our diet has changed, and I have a car, Sky etc.
  • Options

I would argue that our expections have changed and so we will commit to many more expenses that we would have previously. Certainly our diet has changed, and I have a car, Sky etc.

Precisely.

People think things are tough only in comparison to the incredibly high standards that are the norm in our incredibly wealthy society.

If you have education, enough food, heating, shelter, water and sanitiation then you are doing wel by international and historical standards.

Pretty much everyone in Briatin has these things and there is certainly no cvhance of not having them on 24k.

People think they are badly off now if they don't have a car, Sky TV, a decent mobile etc like MoK says.......
  • Options
    What fool is unemployed for YEARS??? How can they possibly survive on the dole for that period?

A friend of mine has been unemployed for over ten years.
    Try living in the real world. Getting work isn't always that easy.

Depends, personally I've never had a problem. If all else fails then go to an agency and get the work there... hey it's hardly fun, but it's money. However, living is a completely different matter, especially in inner cities where living is expensive. Personally I don't believe it's that hard to get work... it just means a lot of earnest looking... but that's going by Wrexham standards.

If somebody really wants a job, can't be that hard to find one.
  • Options
    Arbeit Macht Frei, eh mixin?
  • Options
    Come on, you know the significance. If you don't, then you're even more ignorant than I thought.
  • Options
    A touch of the ol' Godwins there

You lose