Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Dry mouth

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I just wondered if any of you know how to reduce the nasty dry mouth side effect of some medicines. My mouth is really dry and I have a really unpleasant taste in my mouth. I keep brushing my teeth and eating mints to get rid of the nasty taste. Does any one have any other remedies?

Comments

• Options
    i chew gum a lot...which i know isnt great for your stomach and my boyfriend tells me off for it but...it keeps saliva in ur mouth
  • Options
    Try and find this stuff called Salix. Apparently it stimulates saliva O_o
  • Options
    If you smoke, could try cutting that out.

Hmm... Try taking sips of water regularly by carrying a bottle of water with you or something -

Try using a mouth wash which is alcohol and peroxide-free -

Whilst trying to avoid salty foods. Also cut down on your caffeine and alcohol, if possible, as these increase water loss by triggering frequent urination, thereby causing further dehydration.
  • Options
    I assume it's because of fluoxetine, which tastes vile.

Drink plenty of water, and brush your tongue when you brush your teeth. If you have a lot of water on board then your mouth won't dry up so much, though a slightly dry mouth does seem to be a common side-effect.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit
    I assume it's because of fluoxetine, which tastes vile.
    I've stopped fluoxetine. I'm on amitriptyline now tho and it tastes horrid.

I'll try brushing my tongue tho... I hadn't thought of that.
  • Options
    I suck those things called 'aqua drops' because they are minty and juicy and make a nice taste in your mouth and keep them all watery :)
    x
  • Options
    it's a very common side effect of amitriptyline, i had the same thing, especially when i first started taking them, but it did subside after a while though.

i used to have chewy mints.