Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Tuition fees

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Having been rejected from Edinburgh, I decided to try for an independant year-long course in the same city which would hopefully allow me year two access to the place which originally rejected me.

The interview today went well, and the environment seemed relaxed and comfortable. It boasted great shops nearby, nice scenery and basically everything you could ask for in a place.

HOWEVER, just recently I discovered this course would cost me a staggering £4000 in tuition fees! Apparently, it's because they're not government funded.

I'm wondering how this compares to the tuition fees in universities? I don't want to turn down such a great opportunity, but that sort of debt at this stage isn't particularly healthy! I haven't even added the rent on yet.
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    Well in England, the fees are £1125 a year, so £3375 if you're doing a 3 year course.

Can you apply for help with your fees?
  • Options
    Well, they claim it's a foundation COURSE opposed to degree, so (although I'm Scottish by birth) I doubt I'd be eligible for the free tuition.
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Re: Tuition fees
    Originally posted by Neil
    Having been rejected from Edinburgh, I decided to try for an independant year-long course in the same city which would hopefully allow me year two access to the place which originally rejected me.

The interview today went well, and the environment seemed relaxed and comfortable. It boasted great shops nearby, nice scenery and basically everything you could ask for in a place.

HOWEVER, just recently I discovered this course would cost me a staggering £4000 in tuition fees! Apparently, it's because they're not government funded.

I'm wondering how this compares to the tuition fees in universities? I don't want to turn down such a great opportunity, but that sort of debt at this stage isn't particularly healthy! I haven't even added the rent on yet.

at edinburgh university they used to be £1150 per year. but now there is the new system in place where i think you pay £2000 after you graduate in a similar system to paying back your student loan. £4000 seems alot for a year long course imo.
  • Options
    You will not be eligible for free tuition at an independent college or university because they are not government funded. The LEA will not subsidise the cost of your course, so you ahve to subsidise it yourself.

The cost is so high because your LEA doesn't provide any subsidy. People mistake the "tuition fee" at university with the actual cost of your degree- it isn't. You pay £1150, and the Government pays the rest of the £8,000 pa for arts or £15,000 pa for science. The real cost of a university degree is what the International Students pay- i.e. a lot.