Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Sleeping

I've been having awful trouble sleeping this last week or so, probably because of exam stress and the fact that my degree will probably be b0rked. The fact that I'm not sleeping is making it very hard for me to do much work at all, the irony of which I find hilarious :(

Has anyone used something like Nytol before? The missus reckons I should try some, she's used it before, I just wondered who else has?
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    My mums a nurse and her shifts vary all the time, so when shes worked nights she finds it hard to adjust to sleeping in the day, and then after a long stretch of workin nights she finds it hard to sleep normally, anyway she uses nytol and says it helps some. :) hope you get it sorted.
  • Options
    Nytol is rubbish, it makes no difference what so ever. It works for some people but I have never felt any different after taking it.

Personally I would recomend cutting caffine out all day, not even one drop, that should help.

Exercise obviously should help.

There are a massive array of chemical solutions but all the ones which actually will work are only available from your local dealer or GP.

I find a large brandy can help me drift off nicely, but dont get overtly drunk, that wont help.

Oh, and lavender will help too.
  • Options
    Originally posted by bongbudda

:yes:
  • Options
    Re: Sleeping
    Originally posted by Kermit
    I've been having awful trouble sleeping this last week or so, probably because of exam stress and the fact that my degree will probably be b0rked. The fact that I'm not sleeping is making it very hard for me to do much work at all, the irony of which I find hilarious :(

i have exactly the same problem at the moment. A-levels coming up and i'm feeling the stress. plus stress from boyf. find myself sleeping in the day when i should be doing work, and then TRYING to sleep at night and not being able to. my biology teacher told me today it was AVOIDANCE. i'm going insane, can't concentrate on revision. tried lavendar but it made me spin-out... strangely addictive!!!
  • Options
    Personally I would recomend cutting caffine out all day, not even one drop, that should help.
    :crazyeyes
    oh my. i dont sleep much either. but i dont think i could give up caffine.
  • Options
    I cant sleep if i drink caffiene past 5pm, I drink decaff after that time. Ive been having real trouble sleeping lately too - money worries, but my mind just races when I try to sleep. Ive been resorting to nicking some of OHs zopiclone tablets, which are really good and dont give me a hangover the next day - I once took Nytol and I just felt like complete shite for the whole next day, it was major comedown city - maybe im just sensitive to them. Anyway I dont want to take zopiclone every night, but last night i managed to sleep ok, I put lavender oil on my pillow, and I wore earplugs - it really helped and I drifted off easier than I have done naturally in ages.
  • Options
    Although it may make you smell like a little old lady. :D
  • Options
    Lush have some good stuff that you can put in the bath to make you sleepy - I find that a hot bath and a milky drink often does the job. If all else fails, Superdrug have some good herbal sleeping tablets. I take 2, as the packet suggests, but I know people who have to take 3 to feel any effect.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Mr_Wobble
    Although it may make you smell like a little old lady. :D
    yeah, and who wants to smell like grannies drawers.
  • Options
    Take a look at our sleep features for some more tips. The following websites are also really good:

http://www.bettersleep.org/

http://www.sleepcouncil.org.uk/

:)
  • Options
    I've taken Nytol before and it took a few hours to work but once it did it knocked me out for around twelve hours straight! On the other hand my boyfriend had real trouble sleeping for a while and used Nytol but after a few doses it no longer had any effect on him.
  • Options
    Lavendar bath bombs not working either? Nytol works for some people and not others, as with any sleeping pill there are only small windows after you take it where you will get to sleep otherwise it could just antagonise your insomnia. Not on any new meds at the moment are you, some of those can affect your sleeping pattern, and by changing the time you take them you can get back on track.

Regular exercise is the best way to sleep more easily though, much as it pains me to say so! And turning the tv or pc off/ putting the book down half an hour before you go to sleep.

Susie :)
  • Options
    Originally posted by rainbow brite
    yeah, and who wants to smell like grannies drawers.

Oh my, that`s ambiguous!! :lol:
  • Options
    Rainbow Bright; I am on a semi-perm script for Zopiclone myself, I get given enough for about one or two days in four.

I think its the best insomnia drug I have taken, it actually works like a Barbituate, but it isnt one. I prefer it to Benzo's which I find leave a hangover.

Oh, and do you get the metalic taste in your mouth, this can be cured with chalk or milk.
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Re: Sleeping
    Originally posted by Kermit

Has anyone used something like Nytol before? The missus reckons I should try some, she's used it before, I just wondered who else has?

i am in the same predicament at the moment. exam stress keeping me awake, because i am tired unable to study properly, going round in circles.

i tried nytol but it did not work for me at all. it was like taking sweeties. a couple of drops of lavender oil on the pillow works sometimes but not always. i ended up getting sleeping tablets from the doctor. i got zopiclone which worked really well for me. they allowed me to sleep well although i didnt feel as refreshed as i would have after an unaided nights sleep.
  • Options
    i see it's not just me then, hence why i'm up at this stupid hour having not gone to bed yet.

anyone have any ideas other than those mentioned so far? nytol and anything from the chemist have about as much effect as munching on smarties and the smell of lavender oil makes me feel sick...

Have just started on citalopram and i think that along with my already messed up sleep patterns and uni stress is keeping me awake. really don't wanna get back to the stage where i was deliberately sending myself under on gb to finally get some sleep :(
  • Options
    I've had Tamazipan prescribed by the doc before and that worked well for me. I suggest not taking it too late though as I found I was still cabbaged in the morning.
  • Options
    Thats why the newer breed of sedative hypnotics are better, they are less of a blunt tool when it comes to sleep.

Benzo's aren't really supposed to be prescibed for sleep disorders anymore because they arent really sleeping pills. They are muscle relaxants.

The newer drugs such as Zopiclone (which everyone mentioned) along with StilNoct (rubbish) are better.

Zopiclone, as I said, works on the same receptors in the brain as Barbituates, but does not have the same effect on memory or on the CNS.

However, it is really expencive for the NHS to keep dishing out and I have read reports saying that for short term use then Valium probably would do exactly the same job at about 1/10th of the price.