Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Yet another pill question

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I came off the pill when I broke up with my long term boyfriend, as I knew I'd be using condoms if and when I ever had sex again and didn't like the idea of continually pumping hormones into my body for no good reason. However, I had sex recently for the first time in several months, and had a bit of an mishap and had to go get the MAP. I've decided that this doesn't bode well seeing as that was the first time in ages, and I want to make sure I'm protected properly by going back on the pill.

Anyway, that's not really relevant, just a bit of background. I was on Microgynon 30 before and although it seemed ok for me, I think it made me a bit moody and uptight all the time. Is that common with this pill? I know it might have been my imagination or just because I was stressed anyway, but I do know I've felt a lot calmer since coming off it so I'm reluctant to go back on it again. A few of my friends are all on Cilest and they say it's really good and doesn't give them moodswings or anything at all - can anyone offer any opinions?

Thanks!

Edited to add: I've already got a doctors' appointment booked, I'd just like a few laywomen's opinions as well.

Comments

• Options
    Well I was in exactly the same situation, I came off the pill when I split up with my ex and am waiting to go back on it at the moment. I was on Microgynon aswell but she's put me on Cilest this time because of leg cramps I was getting quite badly. Like I said I'm still waiting to start taking it so this probably isn't too helpful, but the doctor did say it wasn't that different to Microgynon.
  • Options
    Thanks Faith, that does help! I've got an appointment on Friday. I don't mind it being similar to Microgynon because Microgynon worked pretty well for me, but I'd quite like something which doesn't make me moody!
  • Options
    I was on Cilest and was depressed a lot of that time, I also bled literally the whole time I was on it. I then changed to M-30 and that's been totally fine for me. However, as you said, it's difficult to tell with emotions whether they are caused by the Pill or just you!
  • Options
    Well I've been on M30 for over two years now and I haven't had any problems with moods whatsoever. I think its very much down to the individual as to what sort of effects each pill will (or won't) have on you. If you think it was the pill that was making you moody then ask your doctor if you can try out something different this time round. If you have problems with the new pill you can always switch back if you want to :)