Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Finding the right tattoo

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I'd really like to get a tattoo but I know I'm going to be totally anal over what and where it is. I'd rather have a custom one than a flash one, but I need inspiration for concepts etc. Any ideas? I don't want anything morbid or grungy if you get my drift, (i.e no black demons across my forehead etc.) but any other ideas would be greatly appreciated!!!

Comments

• Options
    Yeah that's the thing - it's going to take me a couple of years to figure out what I want, and then I'm going to get a temporary one of it to see how I like it, and THEN if all goes well, I'll get a real one!
  • Options
    Hopefully I should have enough money to get my tattoo done soon! I know what you mean about making sure it's definitely what you want... I've wanted mine for ages, but haven't had it done just to make sure. I'm getting my name in egyptian in black, with red, orange and yellow colours sort of wound around it, at the bottom of my back.

Sorry to kinda take over the thread, but who here has a tattoo, and what have you got?
  • Options
    Sorry to be pedantic, but make completely sure that it really is your name in Egyptian before having it done - it could say anything! (Unless, of course, you actually know Egyptian.) I have a butterfly on my ass, had it nearly a year now, it's the same as Anouska from Big Brother's, I saw hers in the News of the World and really liked it. I'm planning on getting a butterfly on my right shoulderblade too, when I find a design that I like.
  • Options
    Sometimes I don't think it's a case of finding the right tattoo, I think it's a case of the right tattoo finding you. One day you may just see something and just think "Yes!".
    Even if that does happen, don't rush into it, think about it for a few months, and if you're still keen on it, then it may be the right tattoo for you.

As I suggested to my_name when she was talking about getting another tattoo recently, you could have a "W" tattood on each arse cheek, so when you bend over it says "WOW" :D
  • Options
    Originally posted by Mr_Wobble
    Sometimes I don't think it's a case of finding the right tattoo, I think it's a case of the right tattoo finding you. One day you may just see something and just think "Yes!".
    Even if that does happen, don't rush into it, think about it for a few months, and if you're still keen on it, then it may be the right tattoo for you.

*nods* That's what happened to me! Only I didn't wait, I had it done within a fortnight.
  • Options
    Originally posted by stressedstar
    ok......

think about what you think looks good on others

DO NOT do this, getting a tattoo is an individual choice. you have to remember that just because something looks good on somebody else, it might look pants on you. choose something you like. i advise goin to the tattoo parlour and speaking with the artist and see if they can come it with a custom design for you. it might cost a bit extra but at least you'll know its right for you :D
  • Options
    If you're going to get more of a design rather than something recognizable, I would advise getting a book or checking a website on symbols / signs before getting it. While the average person may not know what a certain symbol in your tattoo means, you don't want some symbol in your tat that you don't know what it means and could be offensive to certain people.
  • Options
    I got a cool Tattoo, Id talked about getting one for ages before I actually did, just walked into the shop picked a design, made an appointment changed the colurs on the design ( a Keltic sun symbol thing) and got it done everyone says its good and apparently the tattoo'er was good I didnt know you could get bad ones that actually had a shop but apparently you can.

Ill never regret it but my gran was a bit shocked
  • Options
    make completely sure that it really is your name in Egyptian before having it done - it could say anything! (Unless, of course, you actually know Egyptian.)

Good job I know what my name in egyptian is then :)

I know what you mean though, I've often wondered what tops with chinese writing actually say... who knows what people are saying as they're walking around wearing them!
  • Options
    I have a desing I drew during a scot lit lecture, and loved it so much I decided to go for it. Was gonna get it temporary, but that can staint he skin so I decided to juts go the whole hog and get it permanent. I got mine done at the base of my spine, and was quite worried about that cause that's normally a girl#'s placem, but I really like it. Just make sure of that before you do it.
  • Options
    Ok. well for starters. I absolutely 100% agree with the 'dont go in search of a tattoo' thing. Your tattoo should be because it's something u want to be a part of you, not because u wanted a tattoo and it was the best thing you could find.

I have a tattoo of the Aum symbol on my right hip. I saw it in a book and fell in love with its meaning. And then i went on the net and read everything i could possibly find about it. And the more i read the more i knew it was perfect for me.

So i did a search for designs. But i didnt want anyone else to have the same one. So i did it myself. adapted from basic pictures i found.

And i got it on my hip becaus its somewhere no1 ever sees unless i show them. And i feel that a tattoo should be something personal. I got my tattoo for ME. not for anybody else. So thats why its somewhere private.

So thats my story. Hope it helps
    p.s--> here is my tat

My lovely Aum :D
  • Options
    I so want a tatoo [random/]