Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Dye my hair

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
OK for reasons best not gone in to, I need to dye my hair blond. My current hair colour is dark-mid brown but the thing is, when I buy those bleaching kits from Boots, I end up with that snotty-yellow chav kind of blond. What I need is for it to go that almost white blond. The best example I can give of it is if you've seen Fred Durst in the video for 'Behind blue eyes'.

One person I spoke to says I should first use the snotty chav kit from Boots then buy a lightener to brighten it to how I want, but it was a bloke who told me that and to be honest, I think I'm better off asking the women of this site.

I'm not really fussed enough to have it done professionally, I'd prefer to do it myself.

Help! :D

Comments

• Options
    bleach it first. like the ultimate white blonde. then dye it whatever color blonde you wish.
  • Options
    Re: Dye my hair
    Originally posted by Russ T Bitz
    OK for reasons best not gone in to...

:chin:

Aww go on!
  • Options
    you can get something, a pre lightner i think its called, which strips all the pigment out of your hair so you have a the ability to put any colour on your hair. pretty harsh on your hair though!
  • Options
    if you want to get that white blonde blonde, you might have to bleach it a few times. this will absolutely destroy your hair, but if you have pretty short hair, it doesn't matter too much, cause it'll grow back in no time.

get yourself down to boots, and acquire some boots own brand bleach (i think they call it lightener or pre-lightener, but they could also just call it bleach) it's usually by the perming stuff. buy a couple of packs of that.

leave at least a day in between your bleachings, and put it on as evenly as you can, or you'll have strange patchy hair. best to get someone else to put it on for you, really. or employ two big mirrors, angled so you can really see what you're doing.

oh, and buy a hat in case it all goes wrong :p
  • Options
    yeah, your hairs gonna get wrecked serious stylee.
    at the hairdressers we'd usually use 18% peroxide for what you want but i have no idea what that amounts to in shop terms. the only time i home bleached my hair i used a pre-lightener thing (its the one in the bright blue box with a girl with ice-blonde hair and a sorta pixie short cut) and it went orange so stay away from that.
  • Options
    OK cheers everyone.

I work on a late-night radio show (http://www.thewave.co.uk/chrishome.htm - that's me with Jo Guest and scroll down to see me getting waxed and there's a pic of me with a snake wrapped around my head) and we're planning some stunts for the future and my going shocking blond will mix in well :)

As you can see I don't have much hair as it is so if it gets ruined I don't mind - I'll just shave it all off.

The Boots stuff is what I've used before so is there any post-bleaching product I can use to get the level of white that I need?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Russ T Bitz
    The Boots stuff is what I've used before so is there any post-bleaching product I can use to get the level of white that I need?

you just have to bleach it again.

if you have quite dark hair, it won't go white in a single bleach, it'll probably just go a weird ginger shade. it might take 2 or even 3 bleachings to go really light.

in my pink hair phase i became quite the bleaching expert. my hair is naturally dark blonde, and it took me 2 lots of bleach to get my hair really pale. and it wasn't in that bad a condition, but then i did go crazy with the intensive conditioners.
  • Options
    suggestion - ask susie
    she's one for totally whacky dying of hair, surely she's an expert to have got that delicate shade of blue so gorgeous :lol:
  • Options
    Originally posted by kaffrin
    in my pink hair phase i became quite the bleaching expert. my hair is naturally dark blonde, and it took me 2 lots of bleach to get my hair really pale. and it wasn't in that bad a condition, but then i did go crazy with the intensive conditioners.
    my friend has naturally dark blonde hair but dyes her hair a lighter blonde. she wants to go white. so what should she do? does she use pre-lightner? (is that what bleach is called in the shops?)
  • Options
    Originally posted by lipsy
    my friend has naturally dark blonde hair but dyes her hair a lighter blonde. she wants to go white. so what should she do? does she use pre-lightner? (is that what bleach is called in the shops?)

in theory she should bleach it til it's as pale as she wants, then dye it the colour she wants with a toner, or semi-permanent colour. if you ask for this in a salon they tend to tell your your hair will fall out. i did it anyway. it didn't. but it can sometimes make your hair really brittle and liable to snap off.

i bleached mine twice and it felt like straw, but after conditioning it excessively, it recovered. but my hair is pretty resilient. i'd suggest she cut a little bit of hair from somewhere she's not gonna miss, and try bleaching it til it's the shade she wants. then see what the condition is like. if it's ok, then she should be fine.

and for girly hair, my bleach recommendation is l'oreal. it's more expensive than the own brand stuff, but i found it was loads kinder to my hair. it's the one you can get in 3 strengths, and it's about £6. apparently from my googling, it's called 'l'oreal super blonde prelightener'.
  • Options
  • Options
    I have to say... I had a hair disaster, that I wrote about on here, a few months ago due to bleaching my hair so I personally wouldn't recommend home bleaching. But that was partly because I was bleaching it from red, plus it would probably be easier for a lad to put it on evenly, because of the shorter hair! Still, though, it would be better to have it done at a hairdresser I reckon, purely because they are trained to look after your hair and ensure it doesn't fall out.
  • Options
    Be careful though, pre lightenter can turn your hair that horrible orange colour.
  • Options
    i used a pre-lightener thing (its the one in the bright blue box with a girl with ice-blonde hair and a sorta pixie short cut) and it went orange so stay away from that.

I know the feeling, having that orange hair is awful, I used a pre-lightener and my hair went orange, I ended up having to go to the hairdressers for them to fix it
  • Options
    Originally posted by Madgal99
    I know the feeling, having that orange hair is awful, I used a pre-lightener and my hair went orange, I ended up having to go to the hairdressers for them to fix it

Yarr. Cost me £50 (with student discount) to get myself fixed :(
  • Options
    Ah I am the king of bleaching accidents. They usually go orange or ginger...I only got it right the first time and have got it nowhere near blonde the other times :rolleyes:
  • Options
    I'm thinking.."Gazza" more than Fred Durst, here mate.

God, that was when I was 12. Fucking hell..*faints at time that's lapsed*
This discussion has been closed.