Home Work & Study
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Post Grad courses

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited March 27 in Work & Study
Just a little question...

I've applied to do an undergraduate degree in Antropology at Edinburgh with the intention of possibly changing to Sociology after my first year. After I've got my degree, is it possible to do a post grad course in Journalism or would I have had to do journalism for three years first? I've heard of people doing it but it doesn't make much sense because surely as a post grad student I'd have to take undergraduates in Journalism?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    I wouldive thought you would have had to do a undergrad in jounalism first, and then your postgrad. I dunno though, because I know they do accelerated postgrad 'career' degrees, e.g. law. Checking with the uni is probably the best bet tbh.
  • Options
    I would have thought it would be fine to do a journalism postgrad without having done it as a first degree - after all, there aren't that many undergraduate journalism courses are there?

As long as you can show some experience (e.g. working for university newspaper or whatever) and can bring out your transferable skills, not to mention enthusiam, you should be there.

I've got a place at UCL to do MSc in Public Policy this autumn, and I did History with German as my BA, so not particularly social sciences, yet I got offers from all 5 places I applied to.

Do what you want as an undergraduate - you don't have to tie yourself to journalism. As they say, variety is the spice of life:yes:
  • Options
    You can do one years masters degrees in journalism, and also do professional training courses at certified colleges. You don't need a journalism degree.
  • Options
    For some courses you have to do a one year conversion course if you didn't do the undergraduiate but they tend to be the most technical degreees I think.......
  • Options
    Originally posted by PussyKatty
    You can do one years masters degrees in journalism, and also do professional training courses at certified colleges. You don't need a journalism degree.

What she said :) I did a journalism MA at Goldsmiths after a Psychology BA in Swansea. However a lot of these journo courses are competitive so get some work experience and published work together if possible. I'd worked for my student newspaper for two years while at uni and had something printed in every fortnightly issue!

Susie :)
  • Options
    Cheers for the advice, I'd originally intended to do a post grad in something that would allow me to make documentaries along an anthropological line but since then I've been increasingly drawn to journalism, so its good to know I've got my options open.
  • Options
    there is of cource another way into Journo...... which is through experiance and networking?!

A friend of mine did Geography and is now working for an independent company doing film and war documentaries for the BBC.......

Personally, I did a MPhil in a similar to my undergrad....