Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Police taking photos for £10

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
A few months ago, 2 PC's approached my boyfriend and his friend in town and asked if they could take a photo of them, and they would give them £10. My b/f said yes, and his friend said no.

They didn't take down any details such as name or address, just took his photo in a little room and gave him the money.

I was just wondering what they used these photos for, cos my b/f is worried about it now, what if someone falsely identifies him as having commited a crime?

Comments

• Options
    It'll be for an advertisement or something. I highly DOUBT it'll go anywhere but on a website or for use in an ID parade or something.
    It's surprising they didn't tell you why though, did he not think to ask?
  • Options
    I think they did tell him but his English isn't very good so he didn't understand.
  • Options
    It'll be for ID parades. They're done now on a system called v.i.p.e.r using photos and videos instead of lineups.
  • Options
    I would guess WhoWhere is right - that it was taken for a lineup of pictures. Perhaps he looks similar to someone that they've recently arrested and they were looking for more similar pictures to show the victim?

If you're worried about it though you should get him to go down and talk to them with you. If you explain that he didn't understand why his picture was being taken I'm sure that they would be able to go over it with you, and probably remove his picture if he isn't comfortable with the idea.
  • Options
    Yeah I would imagine that it will be used for ID parades. Don't worry about him being falsely identified, usually the police get witnesses to try to ID the criminal they've already arrested or have supicions about and if the witness identifies the wrong person then they simply don't deem that witness to be reliable.

Its like if you take part in an ID parade, the police know you're not the one to have comitted the crime!
  • Options
    How is the police going for you anyway whowhere?