Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

What do you think of Guardian readers?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Matt hates them - read why here and let us know if you agree...

Comments

• Options
    I have just send this to everyone who works in my office because
    a - they all read the guardian
    b - I work for a charity
    c - we work in islington

Totally conforming to all of the steryotypes.
  • Options
    Re: What do you think of Guardian readers?
    Originally posted by spanner

The guy obviously has some serious personal issues.
  • Options
    I read Heat, Hello, the Morror, the Guardian, Closer, The Economist!!

Do you consider yourself middle class? How do you feel about that? YES I do and I feel ok about it.

Would you send your child to a state school? Yes, where else would I send them!?

Did you go to the Anti-Bush Protest, or just watch it on Trevor McDonald? Yes - well the Anti WAR one, does that count

Do you shop at Waitrose or Asda? What's wrong with wafer thin ham? ASDA. nothing wrong with ham wafer thin or not.

Did daddy pay your tuition fees? No fees for him to pay I was old enough to get a grant, back in the days when things were done right!
  • Options
    :mad: He's so ruuuuuuuude...

That said, I am beginning to feel like a stereotype... charity worker, XFM listener, but I truly hope I'm not sanctimonious and patronising. I'm going to crawl under a rock and hide now...
  • Options
    That coming from someone in Bradford *Laughs*
  • Options
    Do you consider yourself middle class? How do you feel about that? Yes. More than happily.

Would you send your child to a state school? Of course not.

Did you go to the Anti-Bush Protest, or just watch it on Trevor McDonald? I happened to approve of the war at the time of the protests.

Do you shop at Waitrose or Asda? What's wrong with wafer thin ham? Neither, but given the choice, Waitrose.

Did daddy pay your tuition fees? No. Mummy. :p

I love reading the Guardian. But I love it for a different reason - online, it's the only broadsheet that's remained free to access online. I can read it first thing in the morning, before lunch, in between classes. It's not an awkward size - ignoring the 5lb weight of my laptop.

But I would, and I will repeat this until the day I die, tut at any male who voluntarily reads Heat in public.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Wyetry
    I have just send this to everyone who works in my office because
    a - they all read the guardian
    b - I work for a charity
    c - we work in islington

Totally conforming to all of the steryotypes.

So you work for TheSite too?
  • Options
    I read the Guardian. And Heat. I'm not middle class and feel fine about that, I do shop in Asda, I went to the Anti-War protests (wearing trakkie bottoms no less), I went to a state school and the only time you'd find me in a university was if I was cleaning it! The only thing I agree about is that the paper is too big. Easy solution: Heat on the bus, paper at home :)
  • Options
    Do you consider yourself middle class? How do you feel about that? Yes. I feel great.

Would you send your child to a state school? No.

Did you go to the Anti-Bush Protest, or just watch it on Trevor McDonald? I actually watch on Trevor McDonald.

Do you shop at Waitrose or Asda? What's wrong with wafer thin ham? Neither. There isn't a Waitrose locally and I wouldn't go if I could as long as there is a Sainsbury's around.

Did daddy pay your tuition fees? Daddy pays my school fees if that counts?

That guy is obviously a tit. The fact that their is a male who is actually interested in "the latest Posh and Becks exclusive" is quite worrying in itself. And I would have thought Black and White photos on a minimalist back drop were rather up-themselves.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Turtle
    So you work for TheSite too?

Lol I so wish I did - I am thinking of stalking them after work one day as its only round the corner..

Unfortunately I am just to old to apply for work experience there

Though I don't actively read the guardian but everyone else I work with does I thought it would only be fair of me to answer matts questions though:

Do you consider yourself middle class? How do you feel about that? YES, I love being midde class, though my mum grew up in a concil flat so I am not sure how middle class that makes me and we have tea in our house rather than diner, which my friends say is incredibly common.

Would you send your child to a state school? Yes if they were cleaver enough to get into a super selective one if not, it would really depend on where I was living and how rich i was feeling, but I would defintely without a shadow of a doubt send them to a state primary school, you can't have them growing up in a total money bubble.

Did you go to the Anti-Bush Protest, or just watch it on Trevor McDonald? I went to the Anti-war one as well, plus have been on loads of other marches.

Do you shop at Waitrose or Asda? I go to ASDA when I am bored in Swanley when I am bored an in need of a laugh, I once though acutally had to go and shop in ASDA once which was a bit depressing, I also went to Kwick Save and got my legs fondled by an old granny - I would shop at Waitrose if there was one near me and I felt a bit richer - I love wafer thin ham though - can't see why anyone would prefer the posh stuff.

Did daddy pay your tuition fees? I am so old there were no tuition fees to pay - but he paid my sisters for her if that counts and he paid my school fees.

I also work for a charity and wear jeans to work so i am clearly a closet Guardian reader - I just get confused by all the big pages.

I hate heat though - its far to horrible about everyone as far as I can see.
  • Options
    I read the Guardian to be honest.

That guy has issues, totally unfounded and untrue statements :mad:
  • Options
    A year and I have never done this:

Dude.Post.Dead.
  • Options
    i read oit ..,have done since the age of around 20. i'm working class in a very middle class life. i like my ham thick ...not cut with a fucking razor blade.
    i can't stand the likes of posh and becks or the royal family or any other fucking celebrity ...
    how can people be so interested in people they don't know ...will never know ...and if you bumped into them they'd on;ly tell you to fuck off.
  • Options
    I really do not understand why on earth people would pay for education for their child anyway! Unless of course this government so shockingly awful that they need to.

I grew up in state education, i loved it, was the best years of my life, i got involved in school life and helped children who had problems, and was a peer tutor.

I have often compared my school, to others nearby which are private schools.

I could never understand the hype with them, when children reached a certain age parents fought over which child was best and the best school. I love the fact that i was not clever enough to get a place at these schools because seeing the imature elite behaviour from teenagers, that this type of school creates its disgusting.

My school is only slightly behind the local private schools.

My view is that you can spend as much money on your child to do well, but if they dont want to learn or they do not have the mental ability to do well then they wont regardless of how much you spend on them.

What i find disgusting is when people will brag about their 2 year old being accepted to a boarding school, and by the time they are 18 they will be at Oxbridge, who on earth made these parents think it was ok, they are disillusioned, why on earth have children if you are going to send them away, and what is there to say that without the parentfigure at home they wont go off the rails causing trouble, thus inhibiting any real chance of getting anywhere?

Seems like a waste of money too me, howver if you can afford it then you have the power to do most things anyway!
  • Options
    That creature has a delicious sense of irony.

What do you mean he's being serious?
  • Options
    Re: What do you think of Guardian readers?
    Originally posted by spanner

For me that links to Graeme ranting about ex-girlfriends :/
  • Options
    Do you consider yourself middle class? How do you feel about that? No no no! I'm not, dammit. I'm in a class of my own. Was talking about this with my dad the other night: I like to think of myself as better than the snobs who think they're better than everyone, and below the 'workers' who actually have to work their asses off.

Would you send your child to a state school? It's up to them. If they get into private education with a scholarship/bursary (like I did) then fair enough, otherwise it's not *really* worth it to send them into private education.

Did you go to the Anti-Bush Protest, or just watch it on Trevor McDonald? Neither. I didn't feel quite strongly enough then. I'd happily whack him one if he came near me though :D

Do you shop at Waitrose or Asda? What's wrong with wafer thin ham? Uhh.. wtf is Waitrose?! I don't think we have them here. And Asda's nice and cheap, but they're organic range is crap. And I just don't like ham.

Did daddy pay your tuition fees? I said above, nope, I didn't have tuition fees.
  • Options
    I occasionally read the Guardian and the Independent - I like both but prefer the smaller size of the independent.
    I occasionally browse some of the tabloids at work, but theyre just a big pile of wank. Mostly I get my news from the BBC site.

1. I work, and have working class income, I dont have a degree, so I think that makes me working class, although I am more middle class in my attitudes I think, but I guess thats just stereotyping.

2.I would send my child to a state school, unless there was a special reason to educate him privately, and someone else was paying for it.

3.I didnt go to the anti Bush protest or watch it on TV. I havent been to any protest in years - the last one was the poll tax march many moons ago. I am very against the war though.

4. I shop at Tescos or the Co-op.
    Asdas crap, and Walmart are nasty union breakers.
    There is no Waitrose anywhere near here.

5. Wafer thin ham is usually reformed, mechanically reclaimed, high sodium, intensively reared (factory farmed) highly processed meat, with enough nitrates in it to be toxic to a child if eaten more than a few times a week.
    Apart from that, theres nothing wrong with it.

6. The course I want to do doesnt have tuition fees. Even if it did, Daddy wouldnt pay for it as hes been on the dole for the last 24 years. Mummy might have if I lived at home, but I dont, so it would have had to be me or my husband - I cant afford to do a degree :(
  • Options
    Originally posted by *DEVIL*
    I really do not understand why on earth people would pay for education for their child anyway! Unless of course this government so shockingly awful that they need to.

There is only one grammar school in the whole of my county. The rest are underacheiving comprehensives. My school is pretty cheap anyway so it is in essense a grammar school. *shrugs*

My year three teacher at my primary school was so pleased that I was going to the prep for my current school because she thought it was a waste for me to stay in the Staffordshire State Education system. Which, looking at my classmates now, is very true.

I don't get what people have against private education anyway.
  • Options
    Originally posted by rainbow brite
    but prefer the smaller size of the independent.

:thumb:
  • Options
    Do you consider yourself middle class? How do you feel about that? ~ yep, and don't have any particular feelings either way.

Would you send your child to a state school? Nope, i've been in both systems and the local comprehensive schools were understaffed and shite.

Did you go to the Anti-Bush Protest, or just watch it on Trevor McDonald? neither, have grown evry pathetic to the whole thing.

Do you shop at Waitrose or Asda? What's wrong with wafer thin ham? neither, i shop at tescos or safeways :) as for wafer thin ham, what i ahev against it is that proper ham tastes so much nicer!

Did daddy pay your tuition fees? Yep, althoughi have worked on and off for the last 7 years at his restaurant mainly without being paid, including most weekends during end of GCSEs and A-Levels, so it's not as though i've sat on my ass and done fuck all.
  • Options
    Originally posted by paperBprincess
    are you joking?

my schools a complete shat-hole and my parents could easily have sent me to private school without even noticing but they chose not to.

in three and a half days i'm leaving and, not to sound pretentious, but have a lot more 'life and social skills' than any of the private school kids i know of.

why would you honestly want to send your kid to a provate school where they would only be mixing with kids of the same finacial, probably, but not only, ethnic group, and god forsake it gender?
    how are you supposed to learn what the real world is like if you only experience a small sector of it?

my school has kids from all different classes, colours and creeds and i think its great, i've learnt loads about people from other cultures etc whilst some of my private schools friends snub them as being 'dirty immigrants' or whatnot.

to paraphrase: my kids are going to be going to comprehensive schools.

you'd send your kid to a private school if you'd want them to have a better education. some comprehensive or state schools are perfectly fine, some are scumholes.

as for the stereotyping of private schools, sure some are like that, but the one i attended around a quarter of the people in my year were from a non-white origin and had different social circumstances and backgrounds.

it's all about finding the right school whether it be a comprehensive or a private school.
  • Options
    Originally posted by paperBprincess
    why would you honestly want to send your kid to a provate school where they would only be mixing with kids of the same finacial, probably, but not only, ethnic group, and god forsake it gender?
    how are you supposed to learn what the real world is like if you only experience a small sector of it?

25% of the people in my year are on scholarships, therefore they are NOT all 'rich' and not (thank god) all snobs.

I went to a state school for primary education - I certainly don't believe in sending children to a private school for primary school. The people in my year who seem to have turned out worst have been to a private school all their lives.

Up here you're struggling to find people of different ethnic groups at any school. In the primary schools now there are beginning to be a fair few kids from ethnic minorities, but in the secondary schools they're still like 1 in 100. That's in all the secondary schools, not just the private ones.

Edited to add that there are more people from ethnic minorities in the private education sector in Aberdeen than in public education.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Maladjusted
    Did daddy pay your tuition fees? Yep, althoughi have worked on and off for the last 7 years at his restaurant mainly without being paid, including most weekends during end of GCSEs and A-Levels, so it's not as though i've sat on my ass and done fuck all.
    your old man sounds very sensible. if you have grafted that long for him mostly without wages then i think you have a cracking attitude to survive and succeed in this world ...it will pay you divedends in the future.
    wouldn't surprise me if your old man was a bit of a workaholic though.
  • Options
    Originally posted by lil_kazzy

I went to a state school for primary education - I certainly don't believe in sending children to a private school for primary school. The people in my year who seem to have turned out worst have been to a private school all their lives.

I totally agree with you on this one - the people in my year who were the most sheltered were those who went to private primary school or worse who went to single sex private primary schools: most of them thought that Boys were from another planet and had no idea how to talk to them - all very strange (This was like when they were 18 btw) Even those that had had boyfriends found it difficult to relate to boys.

x