Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Baccalaureate or GCSEs and A levels

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
i think really this should go into student, but i'm thinking about the political side of it really, and i know this will turn into a debate so i thought here is the best place.

here, in the spanish state system they have the Baccalaureate, which seems to work well, and students take exams in subjects quite often like once they have finished a module. i don't do that because, really i came out here at an age where i was too old to go into the spanish system, so i go to a tutorial colege which teaches using the british system, which i think dosn't really work for many people, because it puts way to much pressure on teenagers when their hormones are all over the place, and i can't say i know any one in the gcse-a level age group (14-18) that has a totaly stable life, infact i don't even think a stable life is something that can actually exists these days. i'm taking 2 GCSEs this year 2 years early as i skipped the pointless sats year (year 9 i think), and when straight into GCSEs. though, i've now been told that if the Baccalaureate system somes into place in england, my education becomes mucked up because i should still be doing my sats when, i'm already half way through 4 GCSEs and about to finish 2. next year i plan to take AS psycology and Biology, but if this system does come into place i don't know if i will be able to.

yes in the long run the spanish system works better, as it fails very few people, unless they drop out, which a lot do because spanish schools can be very unforgiving to family problems, and bullying is rife.

but in some ways i do favor the british system, because this works better for me, as i can take as much time as i need (with in reason) on my coursework and with most of my subject coursework isn't part of the mark. i spend a big ammount of my time studying, but this is out of choice because i enjoy doing my english lit, science, and IT work. it also alows you to get out of school at 16 with qualifications, where as the Baccalaureate doesn't??

what do you think??

Luby

Comments

• Options
    There needs to be more unity between GCSE and A'Level, but I don't particularly favour a bacc. system. Those who've taken the IB swear by it, but I'm not so sure.

The old system of GCSEs then A'Levels were perfect. Unfortunately Labour have messed it up with the AS Levels, because there is now no let-up in exam pressure meaning that Lower Sixth students don't have the time for extra-curricular stuff, but the old A'Level system worked very well. A Bacc. system spreads the learning out for longer, and has more gradual climbs up the difficulty scale, but the problems with it would be with those who aren't bright enough to get far up the scale, and have no intention of even trying.

GCSEs, old A'Levels, and the opportunity to take vocational courses instead of both would be the ideal system. The fact that apprenticeships have practically died out is a huge problem; unless you are academic, you can't get qualifications.
  • Options
    we just need to put in a decent system of adminstering a levels and gcses, for example GCSE's shouldnt be so specific with lot of options to drop things like languages because noteveryone knows what they want at 14 when picking subjects, i know for my options where i only had the cohice between history or geography and 2 others, i chose a relatively easier eoption (business studies) and im still making my mind up on what i want to do with life and im at uni, studying in the general area ive enjoyed the most, and still find do-able (chemistry)

and a levels, well the as system is okay but so many people resit their 1st year again and as theyre doing 2nd year work which is normally an extention on it you can kill the 1st yr exams with 90%, and the 1st year is worth 50% of grade so it isnt that the exams are easier, its just you get more chances on them so to speak, i think it should be like one 1st yr exam woth 35% or so and the 2nd year is 65% and split up into 2 exam periods, because at uni the exams are like 0% for 1st yr, 20% for 2nd and 40% each for 3rd and 4th to focues on your end results so those who work hard for exams do better and those who just abuse system dont get off as lightly (though i must admit to resitting exams i got Bs that i worked hard for just to put them up cause they were easy in the 2nd year)

and vocational subjects and apprenticeships are needed far more as it helps the people who dont like academic subjects, and helps stop plumbers charing £30/hour because we're so short of them
  • Options
    I do the IB and from what my A-level friends tell me, IB is much better in my view.
  • Options
    in all fairness, why screw around with something that is, quite simply, the 'world standard' for post-16 education?
    nothing in the world quite compares to the a-levels system, although i think it should be optional whether you choose to spread your course in a modular basis throughout the entire two years, or choose to sit all of your exams at once at the end. in all fairness, the AS level is in general a two sided sabre.... yes, it does give one the opportunity to spread the course more rather than having to base everything on the final exams, but no, it does not assist the university placements, the universities only ask for predicted grades and your dropped subject mark, which puts them in no better a position than in previous years, plus they do tend to pile on the pressure.
    whatever happens, keep the A-levels, although granted, it may be possible to improve them
    however, lets be realistic, it isn't about what's good for the students, it's about what the big companies who fund tony blair and his 'new labour' complain about....
    'no diversity of study'... bring in AS level to let kids do another subject
    'absence of core skills among leavers'.... key skills!
    it all boils down to industry anyway....
  • Options
    Numeracy and Literacy should replace Maths and English. Pupils should follow a core of Numeracy, Literacy, Basic Science, IT and PE from when they start school to year 13. The grades should be simple Distinction, Pass and Fail.

From year 7-10 pupils should choose subjects on a year by year basis, each subject has a points tarriff which comes from their overall performance so you can fuck up one year without affecting the others, but the points tarriff increases as the subjects get harder. i.e in year 7 an A would be 5 points while in year 10 it would be 40.

At year 11, pupils must either follow an academic or vocational path based on what they, their parents and their teachers believe suits them. Vocational subjects would involve a paid apprenticeship for the duration of year 11 in the environment of their choice after which they sit an exam based on what they know with distinction, pass, fail as grades. But obviously if they show potential that is all that matters.

While those pursuing academic path would start a 3 year traditional A level course in 4 subjects alongside a higher diploma in numeracy, literacy, IT. As well as taking part in at least one but no more than 3 extra curricular activities be it a sport, society etc. They would gain UCAS tarriff points in the same manner as they do now except there will be more time to spread out teaching time and greater variation in the subjects they do.

The tarriff points from years 7-10 would be included for everyone leaving school as a marker of their overall performance.