Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

st whatever days

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
i know theres currently threads about what it means to be english etc etc

all i ask is - in these debates some people say "but what is it to be english- curry?" and following argument using our countries openess to other countries to somehow disband the people who want to celebrate st georges day

but noone criticises ireland or scotland celebrating st pats or st whatever it is in scotland lol for celebrating their dys so why should we criticise people who want to celebrate english culture when ireland and scotland dont exactly have their own pure culture either

but i dont like it that it seems the far right have jijacked st georges day :( cause im proud to be english, and im proud of being a diverse and open country :) im just proud to be born and bred here even tho it does seem a dump sometimes :p

Comments

• Options
    yeh i dont want another one of these, what im trying to say is

i cant see anything particulary thats irish only other than their pride on st pats but the english get done for having any pride, and not "white english people rule" pride, just a happy content pride and celebrating that with a few drinks like the irish do, but then again we aint sponsered by guniess, perhaps carling could do it :p
  • Options
    There's nothing wrong in celebrating.
    There's something wrong in racists and bigots adopting the holiday, making it political.
  • Options
    Originally posted by wheresmyplacebo
    yeh i dont want another one of these, what im trying to say is

i cant see anything particulary thats irish only other than their pride on st pats but the english get done for having any pride, and not "white english people rule" pride, just a happy content pride and celebrating that with a few drinks like the irish do, but then again we aint sponsered by guniess, perhaps carling could do it :p

I don't think its that the English get 'done' as such. I certainly can't think of anyone condemning pride the most I see is indifference. your right about the Guinness thing, the big celebrations for St Patricks Day are mainly a marketing exercise for Guinness to sell more pints. Notice that everything has their logo all over it.

I'm currently drinking a can of Carlsberg with the St George cross all over it, do you think they were feeling patriotic when they planned this, hell no, they're a Danish company!

What people should be doing is organising their things rather than sitting around complaining or waiting for someone else to do
    this. Its already beginning to happen again.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/britain/article/0,2763,1201472,00.html
  • Options
    Too much love of your own country can lead to the hatred of others. :yes:
  • Options
    Originally posted by MoonRat

I don't think so.
  • Options
    Originally posted by lukesh
    I can see this getting into another anti english topic, everyone just leave it eh? :)

Another one? :confused: We haven't had one. :confused::confused:
  • Options
    Originally posted by BlackArab
    Notice that everything has their logo all over it.

:D:D:D:D
  • Options

but having no love and respect for your country where you live will cause it to turn into a even bigger s**thole
  • Options
    Originally posted by wheresmyplacebo
    but having no love and respect for your country where you live will cause it to turn into a even bigger s**thole

I disagree...

A lack of love and respect for fellow man and the environment is what makes the world shit. I don't understand national pride... we're all human, all born of the womb and we'll all die... yet so many people have a 'pride' of their country. Sure, there are many cultures out there that are beautiful, incredibly colourful (though in comparison I reckon the 'culture' in the UK is pretty dull), but why favour your culture so much?

Like I say we're all human, we all originated from the same continent, we all evolved from the same species (if you believe in the evolution theory), so why differentiate? Why love your country too much? Every country is shit, all these back stabbing governments... all these wars, in my opinion being overly patriotic is being ignorant to how cruel the world really is..

But then it depends on personal ethics and the fact that we have the right to be ignorant if we want.
  • Options
    I was thinking about this earlier today. Why don't people worry about whether St. David/Andrew/Patrick's Day offend ethnic minorities. Not suggesting they should, just wondering. They have ethnic minorities in the other countries of the British !!!ISLES!!!, don't they??
  • Options
    I disagree...

A lack of love and respect for fellow man and the environment is what makes the world shit. I don't understand national pride... we're all human, all born of the womb and we'll all die... yet so many people have a 'pride' of their country.....
    But then it depends on personal ethics and the fact that we have the right to be ignorant if we want.

i know a lack of respect for fellow humans causes the worst aspects of human behaviour to show, i didnt say that, we all should know that

but you should take some pride in where you live/were born etc i dont know it just part of being human

pride of your country doesnt mean disprespecting others, but its being proud of your heritage and values

but if its okay to celebrate st pat etc and surely they have ethnic minorites there, then surely we can celebrate st georges day is all i say, take it away from the racist evil scum and celbrate it in a proud happy accpeting way