Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Throat infection?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
What are throat infections like? The left side of my throat just under my jaw feels really bruised and swollen when I press on it or swollow. My nose is a little blocked but I don't feel like I got a cold altough I did feel like I had one coming on the other day.

:confused:

Comments

• Options
    feels like you're being stabbed in the throat every time you swallow, your mouth tastes metallic and horrid, the glands in your neck swell up, and feel tender to the touch, you might be feverish, maybe a headache... i've had it twice in 2 months :(

if it hurts when you're pressing it from the outside, it's probably your gland swollen up. that can be a sign of infection, so it's best to get it checked out.
  • Options
    The doc just said that my glands were a little swollan and me throat is a little inflamed so she gave me some antibiotics.
  • Options
    It feels like you have razor sharp barbed wire in your throat and death will seem more appealing than swallowing.

Unless it is just a mild sore throat rather than an infection. There is a huge difference.
  • Options
    my throat swelled up so much io could barely breathe one time. that was nasty.
    but yeah, like someone's grabbed your throat and twisted it up in knots
  • Options
    throats and that area can be bad. i've had my fair share of 'bad' throats.

i once had a quinsy (not quincy "gentlemen, you are about to enter the most fascinating sphere of police work. the world of forensic medicine" :) )
    it's an absess on the back of the throat or tonsil, and isn't nice at all. it becomes unbelievably painful to swallow, and i ended up not eating for a couple of days.
    i had to get it lanced to drain all the pus, then i was in hospital for 4 days, and on a drip for 1 to try and replace the fluids i'd lost.

but at least it wasn't glandular fever, which can knock you back for a long time.

this has probably been no help whatsoever, but if your doctor says its slightly swollen glands and has given you some antibiotics then you should be ok.