Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Vegas Wedding

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Okay, so maybe Vegas doesn't mean as much to anyone across the pond, but here's the scoop:

My boyfriend and I want to get married Vegas style, on the fly this summer, at the legendary Little White Wedding Chappel. The problem is, neither of our moms would be too thrilled if we go through with it. Of course, they want to see us do it the old fashioned way, preferably in a church with a big, expensive bill at the end of it all. But the appeal of "eloping" is so huge to us. There's something very romantic about it that just seems so much cooler than a traditional wedding. Besides, both of us have always sort of been the black sheep of our families and if anyone would be the ones to actually do it, it would be us, if you know what I mean. We want to fly in one of his closest friends and two of mine (spoiled rotten, I am) to be our witnesses/wedding party. Then, we'd have a proper celebration at home later, where everyone who wants to be there can, and we'd show the video of our wedding then. Seems reasonable enough to me.

So, any thoughts? Should we do the wedding Sinatra style (our way) or are we being selfish unless we do it full-hog at home????

Comments

• Options
    *Cough Britney Spears cough*

Well it's your day/ decision not theirs. The thing is, it's supposed to be a special day and Las Vegas weddings always look cheap and nasty (no offence).

Could you not have something small at home? Or elope and have a little party or something when you got back.

Just make sure your 100% about getting married.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Infinite
    *Cough Britney Spears cough*

Good god, I didn't even think of that!!!
    *shudder*
    Well it's your day/ decision not theirs. The thing is, it's supposed to be a special day and Las Vegas weedings always look cheap and nasty (no offence).
    To be honest, I've just always had a thing for Vegas. To me, a wedding day should be fun, something the couple enjoys, rather than a big giant stress ball that ends in a crescendo of gravy boats and good china we don't have room for anyway.
    Or elope and have a little party or something when you got back.
    That's exactly what we want to do. The thing is, his sister is getting married this October, and we don't want to be stealing any thunder. If we do it the Vegas way, we can keep it low-key and save the celebration for later.
    Just make sure your 100% about getting married.
    There's one thing neither of us have any doubts about.
  • Options
    Its your day, hopefuly the only one in your life. I'm going abroad for mine. You want to look back at this day and you want it to be one of the happiest memories you have. Its you and your parents decison. Im just so thankful his family and my family just let us get on with our lives and we have their blessing in everything.
  • Options
    See over here we can just pop down to the registery office with a certificate and two witnesses and be married in half an hour.

I didn't mean to mock your dream vegas thing. I'm guessing your not going to get married by Elvis in a Chapel O' Love.

If your sure then I would say go for it.

Oh, my girly person just chipped in with something about eloping being romantic, so there you go!
  • Options
    I didn't mean to mock your dream vegas thing. I'm guessing your not going to get married by Elvis in a Chapel O' Love.
    I was doing some research on the web and there's one chappel in Vegas where you can do a "tunnel of vows" drive-through wedding in a pink cadillac by an Elvis impersonator!:lol: That's too cheesy even for me! No, we'll do it right. No McWeddings for me please!
    Oh, my girly person just chipped in with something about eloping being romantic, so there you go!
    :thumb: :heart: :yes:
  • Options
    you always could go do it and have that fun. and then have the traditional wedding to make your mothers happy. or the other way around depending on which wedding you want to be the "real" one. just a suggestion
  • Options
    Originally posted by PositivePain
    I was doing some research on the web and there's one chappel in Vegas where you can do a "tunnel of vows" drive-through wedding in a pink cadillac by an Elvis impersonator!:lol: That's too cheesy even for me! No, we'll do it right. No McWeddings for me please!

Your clearly not rushing into it so you have my blessing. (As if that matters!)

Edited because I wrote a lot of shit. "you have I blessing" indeed!
  • Options
    Originally posted by my_name
    you always could go do it and have that fun. and then have the traditional wedding to make your mothers happy. or the other way around depending on which wedding you want to be the "real" one. just a suggestion

Ya, I really dig that plan too. Except then things start getting REALLY expensive, which kind of defeats one of the purposes of a Vegas wedding. No, I'm afraid that with our budget, it's going to have to be one or the other, hence the dilema.
  • Options
    That's what I was going to suggest. Have your day, as you want it, but give your family theirs by having a party / commitment ceremony or something. Just a thought.
  • Options
    Your clearly not rushing into it so I have my blessing. (As if that matters!)
    ;):blush: :angel:
  • Options
    are vegas weddings expensive?
  • Options
    are vegas weddings expensive?

Depends which package you get. We're aiming for a middle-of-the-road one at the Little White Wedding Chappel that's $379 US, which works out to about $530 Canadian. We get flowers, garter, limo, pictures and video, but no seranading Elvis (hee hee!). Then there's airfare, hotel, and food to consider (for five of us, if all goes acording to plan), not to mention the rings, the dress, the cake, drinks and probably gambling...come to think of it, it probably WOULD be cheaper just to do it here!! Still, it's the thought that counts.
  • Options
    It *is* your decision and all, but I can sort of see your parent's point of view. It's one of those things that I think they just expected to get to go to. (Not that I'm saying "NO! HOW CAN YOU???")

As far as the accusations of "tackyness", combining a wedding with a vacation/honeymoon is nothing new. Look at all the people who fly to get married on a beach in the caribbean (with a steel band), and then tell me about tackyness!!! It's your day, and if you want L.V., then by god you DESERVE L.V. :)

Weddings just seem to be expensive. Since the aim is to have the lowest possible number of them, I guess the industry has to try to capitalise as much as possible.

VIVA Las Vegas!!

~Dr Smith

P.S. If you change your mind about elvis impersonators and are looking to go on the cheap, I've got this mate... dave....
  • Options
    As someone in the middle of planning a big white (not that I am going to wear white but you get my drift) wedding - which is causing loads of stress and stuff I would definatley say elope to vegas - afterall your parents already have one wedding to get thier teath into at the moment.

Though I would say wait untill after christmas - so your sisters thing has happend - plus it'll be all cold and you can go and warm up in arizona.

I read an excellent book called Diva's Las Vegas all about getting married in las vegas - very funny.

Oh and tackyness is all part of the appeal!!! - tooo cool
  • Options
    I want to get married here!
    http://www.tropicanachapel.com/

"You can choose wedding packages including the Love Me Tender package that features an Elvis impersonator that will perform the wedding ceremony as well as perform Elvis songs or you can choose the Magic Carpet Ride as well as other packages that are perfect for all Las Vegas weddings. If you're interested in getting married in Las Vegas Nevada, then let Tropicana's Island Hotel Wedding Chapel in Las Vegas be your choice to create that perfect wedding for you."

:heart::love::heart:
  • Options
    Thanks for the tip, Infinite!!! I missed that one in my search. Maybe I should consider that one...looks like they have hotel packages too.
  • Options
    Originally posted by dr_smith
    It *is* your decision and all, but I can sort of see your parent's point of view. It's one of those things that I think they just expected to get to go to. (Not that I'm saying "NO! HOW CAN YOU???")
    YES you see, that's the only part of the plan that bothers me...do I owe my mom a wedding, if and when one takes place? She's always been very understanding about me and my (previously) messy relationships. She's shown more restraint and patience in the "daughter's boyfriend" department than any other mother I know. She's always let me make my own decisions, and all she asks in return is that I do a wedding a little closer to traditional, where friends and family can come. I really feel torn over this!
    P.S. If you change your mind about elvis impersonators and are looking to go on the cheap, I've got this mate... dave....
    cheaky :p You know, I probably would if I didn't live half way across the planet.:D
  • Options
    Originally posted by PositivePain
    YES you see, that's the only part of the plan that bothers me...do I owe my mom a wedding, if and when one takes place? She's always been very understanding about me and my (previously) messy relationships. She's shown more restraint and patience in the "daughter's boyfriend" department than any other mother I know. She's always let me make my own decisions, and all she asks in return is that I do a wedding a little closer to traditional, where friends and family can come. I really feel torn over this!

Take your mum to Vegas with you. Treat it as a thank you holiday and have a little family party when you get back. Well that's what I would do.......

Edited to add: I posted that link to laugh at the cheesiness of the Elvis thing but it actually sounds quite decent. Some of the other packages seem quite nice.
  • Options
    Go to Vegas, get married in a chapel of love by Elvis. Enjoy it.
    I can't believe the amount of stress that people put themselves through for a wedding. Hire the suits and dress, get a licence, get hitched.
    It'd probably be cheaper, and a hell of a lot easier to give your close immediate family a holiday out there than organise a full blown wedding. And you're already somewhere that's great for a honeymoon. Go for it! :thumb:
  • Options
    If you want to elope for a Vegas wedding, then do. It's your day, your life, blahblahblah.

But if cost is one reason why you want to then I wouldn't. I'm sure your parents will contribute towards a full white wedding as best they can, so the budget wouldn't be so astronomical.

Oh, and have you considered eloping to Gretna Green in Scotland, the traditional place to elope to? It's probably cheaper to get here than Vegas:)
  • Options
    See over here we can just pop down to the registery office with a certificate and two witnesses and be married in half an hour.

No you can't. It's really not that simple.

Anyway, to the original poster I would say, why not try sounding out your parents to see what they would think. You should be able to judge from their reaction.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit
    Oh, and have you considered eloping to Gretna Green in Scotland, the traditional place to elope to? It's probably cheaper to get here than Vegas:)

hhmmmmMMMMMMmmmmmmm.......
  • Options
    Originally posted by Mist
    Anyway, to the original poster I would say, why not try sounding out your parents to see what they would think. You should be able to judge from their reaction.

She already knows Vegas is the way I want to go. I've always said that's how I'd do it. She, on the other hand, has made it clear that it would "break her heart". In her wise words, "keep in mind, sweety, that in Vegas nothing is real." Just spooky enough that I almost have a mind to listen to her... :chin:
  • Options
    Originally posted by Mr_Wobble
    Go to Vegas, get married in a chapel of love by Elvis. Enjoy it.
    I can't believe the amount of stress that people put themselves through for a wedding.

AGREED!!!!! It just bugs me that most of the time weddings seem to be more about the rest of the family than the actual couple! People always say to the bride (and to a lesser extent, the groom) that it's "her" day, yet almost nothing about the "day" has anything to do with what the couple actually wants! It's maddening!:crazyeyes
  • Options
    I would go - I dont plan on having a traditional wedding either but luckily my mum has encouraged me in that respect! Do you think you could persuade your parents to come too? at the end of the day it's what you and your fiance want that really matters - your mum loves you and im sure she would get over it - I dont think you are being unreasonable at all.
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    Originally posted by Kermit
    If you want to elope for a Vegas wedding, then do. It's your day, your life, blahblahblah.

But if cost is one reason why you want to then I wouldn't. I'm sure your parents will contribute towards a full white wedding as best they can, so the budget wouldn't be so astronomical.

you cant do that either. you need to give 15 days notice. as much as people think that that you can elope to gretna green it is not possible (trust me ... it has been researched recently)
    Originally posted by piccolo
    That's what I was going to suggest. Have your day, as you want it, but give your family theirs by having a party / commitment ceremony or something. Just a thought.

to me this would be the most sensible suggestion. your family want to share in your special day :)