Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Restrictions that should be attached to the main "Freedoms" in this country.

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
By restrictions attatched to freedoms, I mean for example defamation as a restriction to the freedom of speech. So, while it is ok to speek freely, it is not ok to publish defamatory statements about people.

Another example, the freedom of assembly is the freedom to meet with people; in this instance lets say in a public place. A restriction attached to this freedom is the offence which is committed when a person willfully disrupts free passage along a highway.

Does anyone have issues with any restrictions on freedoms? Does anyone think that certain restrictions should be put in place?

It was a discussion I had earlier in a class, that's the reason for the topic.

Feel free to let this drop if you think I'm talking crazy.

Comments

• Options
    I do think that there should be some restrictions on extreme and hateful comments. For example in the tabloids they print items that seem to be backed up with no proper evidence which verge on rascism.
  • Options
    Yes I believe in restrictions. In particular concerning freedom of speech. No racist or hatred comments should be allowed.

I think every last rational person can tell the difference between suppressing freedom of speech and stamping out racist or otherwise hatred-filled comments.
  • Options
    Restrictions are necessary, we are free to become what we want to be - in our society - if you want to be free to do whatever then you must leave our society. But then there's the problem that to my knowledge there aren't many more liberal societys than ours. You could make your own on some scottish island I guess, but then again you would never be free of being human and therefore being bound by the universal constitution of human rights. And even if you weren't human - every living creature has 'rights' to some extent doesn't it?

Anyway - I think that at the moment our society is a bit too mixed with too many people with too many beleifs. Now beleive me I don't beleive in segregation (theres a posh word I just cant remember it) but currently in our society different people have so many different sets of morals, and the people in power are generally white (or brought up in a 'good' school rather than black slum living) and from middle to upper class. Because of this, and because of so many small communities that are unable to break through to this level the politicians are out of touch so there is an area for self-governship.

This self-governship allows hateful, or racist comments in some places but in others it is strictly frowned upon. This breaks down to even very small communities and even family households. In mine racism is strongly discouraged against and we have good cultural links. My cousin is half-cast and my old best friend (he moved away) was black. But in another household of someone I know househole racism isn't seen as bad but merely matter of factly. They just see themselves as better than black people.

And this is true in all aspects of society that different places have their own rules. Sometimes the government must allow people to govern themselves because there cannot be a representative for every single person in the house of commons. I beleive that if someone goes into a town centre and is actively hateful and upsetting people then the police should move him on but nothing more serious. We can't make Britain into a police state.
  • Options
    The only restriction that should be attached to freedom is- ‘ freedom of your fists ends before my nose’, all other restrictions are usurpation.
    Defamation doesn’t make physical harm so it’s everybody’s right to insult me in any way they like. This doesn’t make them my friends but nobody has an obligation to be my friend.
    It would be wonderful if duels were legalized but whining to mommy ( authorities) that bad boys call names? Thank you.
  • Options
    In a free society, people should be free to do as they please whilst respecting rights to person and property. That means all narcotics should be legal, for instance.

In the case of freedom of assembly, then you should acquire the permission of the property owner BEFORE you congregate.
  • Options
    Originally posted by LabRat
    The only restriction that should be attached to freedom is- ‘ freedom of your fists ends before my nose’, all other restrictions are usurpation.
    Defamation doesn’t make physical harm so it’s everybody’s right to insult me in any way they like. This doesn’t make them my friends but nobody has an obligation to be my friend.
    It would be wonderful if duels were legalized but whining to mommy ( authorities) that bad boys call names? Thank you.

Defamation is making a false statement about someone which damages their reputation. Under the catagories of defamation falls obvious examples of libel defamation such as articles published in newspapers, videos, CD's and even paintings.

It's not quite as simple as calling your best mate a little bitch down the pub. The statement has to be false, and it has to cause damage to the persons reputation. Would you want someone printing that you favoured sex with dead sheep? Or would you rightfully 'whine to mommy'?

Back to topic...

Edited* Misuse of word.
  • Options
    How about freedom of speech vs. freedom of integrity, both physical and emotional?

That some people claim not to be affected by insults is irrelevant. The fact is that emotional harm is every bit as real as physical harm, and if you don't believe people should have the right to punch others then they don't have the right to insult them either.
  • Options

If you really believe the old adage "sticks and stones may hurt my bones, but words will never hurt me" then you have a lot to learn about people...

Does free speech include the right to shout "FIRE!" in a crowded theatre?

or "theatre!" in a crowded fire... ;)
  • Options
    Originally posted by Capacity
    Defamation is making a false statement about someone which damages their reputation. Under the catagories of defamation falls obvious examples of libel defamation such as articles published in newspapers, videos, CD's and even paintings.

It's not quite as simple as calling your best mate a little bitch down the pub. The statement has to be false, and it has to cause damage to the persons reputation. Would you want someone printing that you favoured sex with dead sheep? Or would you rightfully 'whine to mommy'?

Back to topic...

Edited* Misuse of word.

Sorry but 'emotional harm' is subjective. Physical harm generally isn't.

If Arsenal beat Tottenham on Sunday, Spurs fans would be 'emotionally harmed'. Should there REALLY be a law against that??!:lol:

And take offence. SO many things offend people and THAT is truly subjective.

Really you can't make legislation based on 'emotional harm'!!!
  • Options
    You're putting too much into the 'emotional harm', much more is based upon the damage that it does to your reputation. Particularly, when you effected in ways such as being dismissed from work, or being refused admission to somewhere. Just random examples.
  • Options
    If we gave society too much freedom, wouldn't people take the piss? I mean I know the media's a good brainwashing tool and all... but who will control us? And where do you draw the line about how 'free' somebody is?

Complete and absolute freedom is limited by thought and physics. If we could fly and walk through walls... now that would be freedom.

But I don't see how we can live in a free society as I don't believe freedom exists at all. mainly because we can't completely trust the government. For example if we were in a free society and went to the supermarket... would we really know what's in our food? Shouldn't we have the freedom to eat cruelty free meat and GM free food? What if we wanted coffee beans that were fair trade? Surely in a completely free society food labels would say 'this product comes from exploited workers in Columbia' because technically we'd want the freedom to eat exactly what we want and to know where it came from. Not allowing us to do so would be restricting our freedom...

But then some people might want the ignorance of what they are eating... and putting the source on the label would restrict their freedom. How do we keep everybody happy?

If we knew everything about the companies we buy from and about the government (so we have enough knowledge for complete freedom of choice) the country would be haywire... wouldn't it?

Just an idea...
  • Options
    Originally posted by the sole liber
    Sorry but 'emotional harm' is subjective. Physical harm generally isn't.

If Arsenal beat Tottenham on Sunday, Spurs fans would be 'emotionally harmed'. Should there REALLY be a law against that??!:lol:

And take offence. SO many things offend people and THAT is truly subjective.

Really you can't make legislation based on 'emotional harm'!!!

Psychological harm often causes more lasting damage than physical harm. If you haven't worked this out yet, you don't understand people very well...
  • Options
    But it is SUBJECTIVE!!

You cannot make laws against it for that purpose!
  • Options
    Originally posted by Aladdin
    Yes I believe in restrictions. In particular concerning freedom of speech. No racist or hatred comments should be allowed.

I think every last rational person can tell the difference between suppressing freedom of speech and stamping out racist or otherwise hatred-filled comments.

Fuck racism!

I ain't no racist, but there's too much of a brew-ha-ha surrounding 'racism' these days. I say people have a right to be racist!
  • Options
    Fuck racism!

I ain't no racist, but there's too much of a brew-ha-ha surrounding 'racism' these days. I say people have a right to be racist!
    As long as they don't say it publicly...
  • Options
    You know this racist thematic is getting boring… of course everybody has the right to be a racist , the sole liber is absolutely right ( he is right in 99% cases) I just think you all are too …how to say it correctly, addicted? to this. For me everybody may say that the Earth is flat, the Moon is made of cheese, blacks are stupid, democracy is for people , LabRat is a loony ( that is true)- what the difference? Think and sing whatever you wish, but please don’t shut up others.
    To Aladdin. Do people have the right to think publicly?
  • Options
    To think, yes. To say, for instance, "blacks are nothing but a bunch of sub-normal fucking n******", certainly not. May your unrestricted freedom of speech be damned. :rolleyes:

And if one person (you) thinks monocrat is right 99% of the time and 100 others (the rest) think he's wrong 99% of the time, what percentage of the total time is monocrat actually right? Get those calculators out!
  • Options
    Exactly what I say. A word of a wise man is gold , while words of millions of millions of millions idiots aren’t worth shit they produced thinking this about. The real value of democracy.
  • Options
    :lol::lol::lol:
  • Options
    But it is SUBJECTIVE!!

You cannot make laws against it for that purpose!

Just because something is subjective doesn't make it any less real. Love is subjective. It still exists.

You need to grow up a bit I think.
  • Options
    You know this racist thematic is getting boring… of course everybody has the right to be a racist , the sole liber is absolutely right ( he is right in 99% cases) I just think you all are too …how to say it correctly, addicted? to this. For me everybody may say that the Earth is flat, the Moon is made of cheese, blacks are stupid, democracy is for people , LabRat is a loony ( that is true)- what the difference? Think and sing whatever you wish, but please don’t shut up others.
    To Aladdin. Do people have the right to think publicly?

Yes you have the right to think what you like. No one has ever said otherwise. Same as I have the right to call you an immature fool.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Blagsta
    Just because something is subjective doesn't make it any less real. Love is subjective. It still exists.

nobody wants tp make laws regarding love - and dot say marriage cause marrying for 'love' has only been popular in the last 100/150 years at most
  • Options
    Originally posted by Blagsta

But if someone thing is purely subject to personal feeling, how can you make an OBJECTIVE law against it!!?

It's simply not possible!
  • Options
    Oh yes it is. It already exists and it works perfectly well.

Pain is subjective anyway. Some people feel no physical pain so presumably it's okay to punch them then?
  • Options
    Pain is subjective anyway. Some people feel no physical pain so presumably it's okay to punch them then?

And those people aren't normal since pain is a natural respsonse. A non sequitur.

Offence (a form of emotional harm) is clearly subjective. You cannot have laws outlawing ANY imaginable form of offence.
  • Options
    Isn't the definition 'normal' itself subjective?

And yes, you can have laws governing verbal/hatred/racist abuse. They exist on every country in the world and work perfectly fine for 99.9999999999999% of the population. If you and two others disagree, that's too bad matey!
  • Options
    Sorry but pain is the normal response to injury, just as heartbeats are normal.

It's got nothing to do with anything subjective.
    And yes, you can have laws governing verbal/hatred/racist abuse. They exist on every country in the world and work perfectly fine for 99.9999999999999% of the population. If you and two others disagree, that's too bad matey!

Well 'matey' I never mentioned racist abuse in my former post! If someone is too sensitive about hearing the word ****** it's their loss.
  • Options
    Sorry but pain is the normal response to injury, just as heartbeats are normal.

It's got nothing to do with anything subjective.

And emotional pain is the normal response to abuse, just as heartbeats are normal as well.

Everybody feels it. If you are immune or indifferent to all verbal abuse, then you are an anomaly.

But the rest of the world isn't. Therefore it is proper that there are laws restriciting abuse.
  • Options
    Sole, do you mind someone calling you a twat then, or insulting you in anyway? Or if you were discriminated at work for being white, or any other of things you say should be 'allowed'? I'm just popping into this thread and will get my footing concordantly.
  • Options
    people have as many rights to do what they like as long as they are repsosible with them

put simply

with rights come responsibilites