Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

2 problems

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi,

I basically have two problems at the moment, the first is a really acidic stomach after I drink alcohol and increasingly frequently. I have tried taking anti-indgestion tablets and drinking water and milk but still get the burn.

Also, I keep getting a tight feeling around the left temple. Could this be stress??

Thanks,

James

PS. Is there a good medical discussion web site?

Comments

• Options
    firstly, my only suggestion is to stop drinking.

secondly, yeah, tightness in your head could be stress, but it could also be lots of other things, so i'd get it checked out.

and lastly, there are lots of medical discussion sites, but i wouldn't recommend any of them. it's no substitute for seeing a doctor. the only time these sites are beneficial is after you've been diagnosed and you want to share exeperiences with other sufferers. self-diagnosis, or diagnosis by someone on the net who probably isn't even a real doctor, is not a good idea.
  • Options
    Originally posted by kaffrin
    firstly, my only suggestion is to stop drinking.

secondly, yeah, tightness in your head could be stress, but it could also be lots of other things, so i'd get it checked out.

and lastly, there are lots of medical discussion sites, but i wouldn't recommend any of them. it's no substitute for seeing a doctor. the only time these sites are beneficial is after you've been diagnosed and you want to share exeperiences with other sufferers. self-diagnosis, or diagnosis by someone on the net who probably isn't even a real doctor, is not a good idea.

:yes: Agrees.
  • Options
    I'm gonna third that. The best thing you can do is visit your GP - or try calling NHS Direct if you can't get to a doctor easily:
    NHS Direct
    Advice and information on all health-related issues.
    Telephone: 0845 46 47
    :)
  • Options
    Ok

The stomach thing sounds like the beginnings of what I suffer from and have for some time now (a couple of years). It was all caused by drinking too much and it got to the point where I threw up so much blood I passed out (this happened a couple of times).

I suffer from Gastritis (not gastro enteritis which everybody tries to correct me with) and at it's worst my insides were bleeding so much that I was leaking blood out of my arse. Yes. Nice side effect. It feels like the worst heart-burn/acid indigestion you can possibly imagine and it is almost constant. It just gets worse after drinking.

I am gonna hazard a guess here that eating spicy/acidic food does you no favours either?

Do you find you burp a lot as well? Nice...

I was told to quite drinking by the doctor - although with me being me and having the lifestyle I lead, I didn't do that. It got a hell of a lot worse and only recently have I cut down (to basically nothing through the week). Stupid really. I still occasionally throw up blood after a drinking session.

I would cut down the drink and also go get checked out by the doctor.

G.
  • Options
    Thing is i only drink once a week at most but I seem to be getting the stomach acid more often than that. Going to see doctor on friday. Thanks for your help.