Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Enlighten me...

I would post in here *coughs* but i dont know anything bout politics.

Someone tell me the basics. Like what left and right wing means and all that. Never did understand.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    a'right moi babber!

This was asked recently see Kermits post reply.

http://vbulletin.thesite.org.uk/showthread.php?s=&threadid=63009

Doesn't have to a political post here, can be just a topic for debate.
  • Options
    Oh you bristol people you!

Lets start a debate here....why should i be bothered to search? :p

Ok links fine, i'll take a look.
  • Options
    I was gona make a new thread but didnt want to spam.

How does everyone here know ther'ye political knowledge? I really feel I should know about what our government and political parties stand for, I want to vote but refuse as I dont know what i'm voting for. My friends and family all seem to know their stuff, espicially my mum, so where did i miss out? I think i've just turned a blind eye to things, I was a bit of a wild child up until a year ago. I'm beginning my adulthood now I feel. I'm nealry 22 and I want to be in the know, where do I go from here?
  • Options
    The internet - the BBC websites a good start.
    The quality papers usually do good editorials apart from the news.
  • Options
    I guess I learned a lot from my parents and from reading.

Theres a really good simple description of each party (A summing up in one line kind of thing) in a book called Politics UK...I'll have to hunt it down.

When there's an election I always buy the Party manifestos (am looking forward to the Labour one next year!!)
  • Options
    I've learned a lot of detailed knowledge about politics from studying it at Durham University. A few of us have done political degrees, so don't be put off by knowledge.

If you want to learn more about politics, read broadsheet newspapers most days. As you are at university, you can buy both the Daily Telegraph and the Guardian for 20p each- well worth the cost. People will flame me for recommending the Telegraph, but in my opinion the best two broadsheets are the Guardian and the Telegraph, and it is always good to read the news from more than one political viewpoint.

Eventualy you'll agree with one more than the other, and stop buying both, but if you know little see what both the left and the right think. It's healthy.

Oh, and BlackArab, thanks for the link. It does still amuse me how I was the only one who tried to be neutral about the definitions...
  • Options
    Politics is a history of exploitation of the Proletariat by the Bourgeoisie, a history of class struggle in which the poor have no option but to sell their labour to the owners of the means of production, for exploitation, but not for long brothers and sisters OH no,,
    Come the glorious revolution there will be cheering on the streets of London and we will march to the tune of the new workers paradise.
  • Options
    Lacy and Vicky, I would also recommend that you supplement your regular review of the broadsheet coverage of events with independent media articles which may often provide much greater historical context than any mainstream media would care to provide in order to better recognise what is fact and what is spin.

Two particularly good media watchdog sites are:

http://www.mediamonitors.net/aboutmmn.html

and

http://www.spinsanity.org/

Enjoy!
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit
    It does still amuse me how I was the only one who tried to be neutral about the definitions...

You're not as neutral as you think you are. You're a typical Lib Dem type really.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Iknowyourmum
    Politics is a history of exploitation of the Proletariat by the Bourgeoisie, a history of class struggle in which the poor have no option but to sell their labour to the owners of the means of production, for exploitation, but not for long brothers and sisters OH no,,
    Come the glorious revolution there will be cheering on the streets of London and we will march to the tune of the new workers paradise.

LMFAO
    burncommieflag.jpg
  • Options
    Originally posted by Blagsta
    You're not as neutral as you think you are. You're a typical Lib Dem type really.

lib dems are TRADITIONALLY abnout as central as they come, now i dont know
  • Options
    I'd say Kermit is fairly middle, maybe a touch to the right.
  • Options
    lol is this now turning into a debate about where everyone is on the political spectrum :p
  • Options
    Politics is the science of caring for this society but this society doesn't care about politics.

Very dangerous if you ask me.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Iknowyourmum

Marxist, huh??
  • Options
    Originally posted by Blagsta
    I'd say Kermit is fairly middle, maybe a touch to the right.

Any view is subjective, just being in the middle gives a better view of the pros and cons of both sides:p

When I do the political compass I come out slightly to the left, apropos of nothing. A tough one, I think the poor need to be protected but making those who have worked to earn more pay it all back isn't the way to do it (I aren't talking about the Fat Cats, I'm talking about people like my family who work hard to afford things, then get twatted by the taxman because of the overtime).

But politics is the history of conflict, placebo- politics is about realpolitik, and getting and maintaining power.
  • Options
    Re: Enlighten me...
    Originally posted by LacyMay
    I would post in here *coughs* but i dont know anything bout politics.

Neither do I but I still post in some politic threads. I suppose it depends how heavy they are, I would never get into anything too deep because id just lose the plot.

Also in this forum its not just politics we also have debateing topics, so I think thats why more members come here now.