Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Specsavers or Boots?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
I need to go get my eyes tested again and I wanna know which in your opinion gives the most accurate eyes tests, Boots or Specsavers?

Comments

• Options
    I think both are fine but I am starting my own personal boycott Boots campaign so would say SpecSavers!

Actually I have glasses from both: my Boots ones are posh designer ones that were expensive and my SpecSavers were cheap as a spare set and I got some prescription sunglasses there too. My Boots ones are nicer but I'm not really comparing like with like.

As for accuracy of testing I would hope that your prescription is the same at both as both will use qualified opticians. And if there is a difference it would be down to the individual opticians employed there rather than the chains in general.
  • Options
    I've been a glasses wearer for 13 years, and found that boots is best for actual tests, but specsavers is best for cheaper glasses...

Ilora x
  • Options
    Ive had my eyes tested at Boots twice now, and they were really good. Never bought glasses from there though. I got my last pair from Specsavers, as it happens. Good value for money and just as good as any other glasses. I would recommed them for getting frames anyway :)
  • Options
    littlemissylittlemissy Posts: 9,972 Supreme Poster
    I just recently had my eyes tested at Boots in Edinburgh and the test was very good (I thought, and I'm quite fussy).

The glasses now are the clearest vision I've had for a while, though the others were getting old, and my only complaint is that the fitting could have been a bit better.
  • Options
    An eye test is an eye test.

Though you wil find that you will get a service ten times better than at the chain stores by visiting your local independent optician- they have the time and the expertise to treat you individually. I've been going to the same independent for ten years, and I don't think I'd ever swap unless I moved away.

Chain stores = crap.
  • Options
    Kermits right (thats a phrase I never thought I'd say!)

For 15 years I went to dolland and Aitchinson (can't spell), always had to wait ages for appointments and it felt like hey weren't interested in me as I was a child and got cheaper glasses. When I had to pay more they were only interested in selling me extras. I never had a good experience there. They once were running so late they asked us (after we'd waited an hour) if we'd come back another day as they wanted to go home! My dad said no and then they treated us like shite. Last time I went there.

Dad then found a wonderful indie shop that had the factory right next to my dads! so we went directly there and the boss (who looked dickie attenbourough!) actually sat and made the lenses there and then. No extrortionate fee, no waiting weeks for lenses to arrive and totally friendly treatment.

I found out they hada shop in my town where i work so now I go there. I cannot begin to tell you how good they are. Very cheap too. I have v bad eyes and lenses did cost over £200 but here they cost £90 with frames and special coating-that was for thinned lenses too!

Ok maybe I'm biased but I think an indie shop is better as they not just trying to sell products, they actually care.

If anyone wants the details of this place pm me!
  • Options
    I think it can vary immensly, I have had some bad eye tests from big places and little places, so it's just going to come down to your personal experience.
  • Options
    Have to agree with Kermit...independents all the way!

The only thing I've found is that they sometimes have to charge more than usual since they're smaller but the service is always better. Now that I'm an impoverished student, I tend to go to my local then take my prescription to somewhere like Specsavers and buy them there because they seem to always have some kind of offer on.
  • Options
    vision express hurt my eyes more than they helped. and the place is too bright as well