Home Drink & Drugs
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

How much alcohol do you consume...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Like on a weekend? On a Friday night I will drink maybe 5 pints of Fosters or Worthingtons, then go on to the JD 'n Cokes, maybe drink about 4 doubles and then proberly 2 or 3 vodka and Red Bull's and a few After Shock. :yum:

You?

Comments

• Options
    Oh god knows. Depends on how much money I have on me.

On Saturday I managed to knock back 3 peach schnapps, 4 Goldschlagers and 5 or 6 Smirnoff Ices.

I was cabbaged.
  • Options
    none :)
  • Options
    I had a pretty serious bender last weekend, knocking back about 15+ units made up of vodka, meed, and apple schnapps.

But on average I will consume about 2 bottles of beer a week and maybe a couple of brandies.
  • Options
    I like JD n Coke, n Coke.
  • Options
    I only really drink once a week so you gotta make the most of it.
  • Options
    Thats a really bad way of doing it Felix, very bad on your liver and will do almost as much damage as full on heavy drinking on a regular basis.

Having said that, I did binge drink quite badly on Saturday, you know its going to get weird when your opening Meed half way through the night!
  • Options
    I don't really get this binge drinking thing. Are we sposed to not get drunk at all, just have 1 or 2 beers and thats it?
  • Options
    When i go to the bar on a Friday night, i often have as many cans of Bundy Rum and Cola as i can until either:

a) I run out of money

b) I feel like crap (usually about 4 - 6)

Hopefully i'll be beating my all-time record, 6, on Friday night. :D
  • Options
    Ok, Well, I'll give you the rough run down.

First and most importantly alcohol is a poison and as such is harmful to the body if taken to excess.

The term binge drinking refers to drinking to excess.

Each time you drink you are putting strain on your liver because this is where the poison is broken down.

This isnt of great concern if you only drink a few units, but when you drink 10+ units your putting a lot of pressure on your liver to remove the poison.

It takes a healthy liver one full hour to digest one unit of alcohol, so if you go and drink 6 pints of strong lager it will be 12 full hours till your body is clear.

This is obviously MUCH harder for the body to cope with than 6 pints spread over the week.

There is also the violence, accidents etc. and general £20bn a year price that goes with over drinking.
  • Options
    I'll have as many tart piss's until the funds run out. 9 is my max so far but could consume far more if the kitty doesn't run out of pennies.

.:Crispy:.
  • Options
    Are you seriously going to the pub with the sole intention of blowing ALL the money you can lay your hands on to get as pissed as possible?

Why not just buy a big bottle of White Lightning and stay home?

Why the fuck not just buy a bottle of meths and lay in the street?
  • Options
    Originally posted by bongbudda
    Are you seriously going to the pub with the sole intention of blowing ALL the money you can lay your hands on to get as pissed as possible?

Nope I don't clear out my bank account on a night out. I mean if I get £20 out then i'll spend it then that will be it for the night.
    Why not just buy a big bottle of White Lightning and stay home?

Because i'm 18 & don't need to be hanging around in the park getting drunk on crappy cider. When I can just go to a nice warm pub & sit down & have a drink.
    Why the fuck not just buy a bottle of meths and lay in the street?

Because i'm not that stupid & I use meths for cleaning car parts so I sure ain't putting it any where near my mouth.

.:Crispy:.
  • Options
    Fair enough Crispy, I didnt really mean to have a go at you, I just really hate people who's sole objective for a night out is to get as fucked as they possibly can, fall over, swear loudly, pick fights, lear at women... and so on.

There needs to be patrols of high streets, anyone behaving badly gets treated like they would in a club, a not so gentle reminder that they are ruining other peoples night out.
  • Options
    i'm a bit of a lightweight, 1 glass of wine and i'm pretty tipsy. but saying that i drink far more than i need to. i'm planning on cutting down actually because i get far too drunk.
  • Options
    Fair enough Crispy, I didnt really mean to have a go at you

No worries:) I had a go back to even it out;)
    I just really hate people who's sole objective for a night out is to get as fucked as they possibly can, fall over, swear loudly, pick fights, lear at women... and so on.

There needs to be patrols of high streets, anyone behaving badly gets treated like they would in a club, a not so gentle reminder that they are ruining other peoples night out.

As do I, it spoils the whole night out the going home part having to deal with people trying to pick fights with you for no reason & watching girls & feeling sorry for them because they've had to much to drink & have no common decency anymore:mad:

However, I do believe in getting totally hammered if there is a reason to do so like a birthday or wedding etc. But then when i'm in that state i'm just in an extremely silly mood & find things like street lamps highly amusing:D
  • Options
    I know what you mean, I find really 'finishing time' outside most pubs a very depressing place to be.

You've got the usual collection of women wearing shoes that are uncomfortable, skirts that are too short and are waving about while standing up.

Then you've got blokes being sick while their mates laugh and the usual "you looking at me", I'll vent my anger at my shite life fights.

Its all grim and sends me into a deep funk even thinking about it.

Others are right, we are going to hell in a handbasket, lets turn the clock back to when everything was nice.
  • Options
    i drink until my body tells me to stop...which in some cases wont be until ive finished a big bottle and a bit of vodka...bad me!
  • Options
    On Friday night I'll drink about 5 cans of Strongbow Super. On Saturdays I might drink the same, or if I'm feeling lucky I might try 3 or 4 Special Brew.
  • Options
    i drink at least a couple cans of beer and a shot or two every day. just enough to feel good. some days if i want to get drunk i'll share a 1.75 liter bottle of vodka with my roomate and finish it off. doesn't matter weekdays or weekends though. i dont see why it should. when i'm lucky enough to have alcohol in the house. if not. you dont want to be near me :mad: :p
  • Options
    I'd only have 4 or 5 drinks when I go out now (no more than twice a week), maybe 6 drinks at the most. Usually it's beer but sometimes I'll through in the occasional shot or JD and coke. I used to go overboard quite regularly but now I prefer to keep my wits about me for the journey home.

Out of interest, how many units are in a pint of beer, shot of spirits etc?
  • Options
    A pint is about 2 and a shot 1 (if I remember rightly).

Yea, it depends. Sometimes I'll drink just enough to get tipsy (could take 2 - 6 shots), but sometimes I like to get full blown drunk (could take 5 - xx) shots. I rarly drink lager (tastes like shite) and I only keep strong stuff in the house (20% bare minimum)

Had quite a bad weekend this time. Never been as drunk as I was on Friday night, and I got quite tipsy on Saturday night, and again on Sunday. I've missed the first two days of school this week 'cos I've been feeling like shit.
  • Options
    usually a bottle of buckfast for a carryout then in the pub i'd drink 3 or 4 pints, it really does vary from weekend to weekend.
  • Options
    Normally a bottle of buckfast and then a few bottles or pints, depending on where I am, it's different every weekend but the bottle of buckfast always seems to be there.
  • Options
    Originally posted by my_name
    i drink at least a couple cans of beer and a shot or two every day. just enough to feel good. some days if i want to get drunk i'll share a 1.75 liter bottle of vodka with my roomate and finish it off. doesn't matter weekdays or weekends though. i dont see why it should. when i'm lucky enough to have alcohol in the house. if not. you dont want to be near me :mad: :p

You might want to seriously consider the amount you are drinking, having more than 100 units a month seriously impares your mental functions. Memory, learning, communicating, emotions etc. are all effected.

As for how many units are in what measure?

Thats a hard one really, especially if you are at home because then most people just rough shots.

A 25ml (the standard) shot of 35-40% spirits should be about 1 unit.

A pint of normal strength lager is about 2, but many of the stronger lagers (stella for one) are closer to 3.
  • Options
    I drink usually at least 2 pints of Stella a night, I usually consume 1 - 1 1/2 pints of Stella at lunch time as well..

A normal Friday night used to entail a bottle of vodka or JD then double and triples all night in town, normally at least 15 doubles minimum along with an aftershock with each ..

As you can imagine though, I currently attend an Alchohol/Drug self help group..
  • Options
    I'm really sorry to hear that mate, sounds nasty, thats a lot of units your clocking up every week.

Even the stella alone is going to add up to about 9 or 10 units a day.

Good luck.

My brother used to drink upwards of ten pints a day, very heavy drinking and the nasty effects that went with that.

He got himself in trouble and he cut down drasticly for a while, it wasnt pretty but he got through it.
  • Options
    JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    theSite has some info on alcohol use and abuse here and here and the government guidelines on safe drinking levels are here. Some of you should really take a look......
  • Options
    Alcohlo is an evil life changing drug - one minute you're a respected person with morals and ideas - next thing you're chewing the carpet or waking up with a random stranger with no recollection of getting there and a hazy if not total blank of the night before. Normally involving a loss of clothes or taking a piss in an unappropriate place eg.outside pub doors (Yeah me, after particulary memorable JD and coke binge.) Am currently seeking professional help for alcohol misuse - Moderation is the answer - or move where no one knows you - and get as wrecked as you want!
  • Options
    Changes every week, but on a big night out..a lot! Pints,then more pints- then vodka oranges and may shots after depending on the occasion!

Im not an Alcholic, im a drunk
    Alcholics go to meetings"!
  • Options
    Anything I can get my hands on. Whenever i feel the need for it.