Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Telling your parents your moving out

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
How did you tell them? How old were you? How did they react.

Im moving out in a months time...ish and will have to tell them shortly, just want to find out how this job interview is gona turn out then tell them once i know.

Comments

• Options
    I was 17..and was half kicked out, half wanted to go. My Dad was working abroad at the time and I er, kind of didn't tell him for several months. It was more because I moved in with a boyfriend than being scared of telling him I had moved out per se. (Kind of traditional family-"living in sin" not the ideal situation :rolleyes: )

My Mum was mean about it...kept saying "this isn't your home anymore" and seemed quite bitter. Think some parents find it hard, especially if you're an only child or the youngest.

How old are you?
  • Options
    well i moved out for college. obviously they had no problem with that. then i came back after a month. and i go, i wanna live in chicago. they were hesitant but "it made me happy" and thats what they like so they again didn't have much of a problem with it.
  • Options
    I don't think I'll tell mine... I'll just move my stuff bit by bit over a few years before they realise one day that my room is empty. I don't think my mum could take it if I told her I was going!
  • Options
    I'm thinking about moving out at the moment. My boyfriend is hopefully buying a flat, and as my dad's a qualified financial adviser, he's pretty involved in helping us out. So I don't think I'll tell them as such - cause they've already just assumed!
  • Options
    I will be going to Uni in October. So i have to go lol. My mum is bound to get all weird about it though, but they know now.
  • Options
    I moved out after 4 months of freedom in America. I was sure I wouldn't be able to live at home when I came back, so started organising shit before I left and had a place sorted when I got back. Although I have since moved another 2 times, I wouldn't look back, or move back home. I love living in Glasgow, neds excepted, and could face living out in the sticks again. I was 19 when I moved out.
  • Options
    21. and they were over the moon :lol:

but i moved out when there were 5 adults, a teeny baby and two dogs in our house, so they were glad of the room.

since my brother, his girlfriend, the baby and one of the dogs moved out, my mother's been pestering me to move back.

so i am. on monday. :)
  • Options
    I was 20 and I told my Dad while he was driving the car so he couldnt do anything too drastic! We were on the way to pick my Mum up from her work and then drop me at mine so I told her when she got in the car too and then they dropped me at my work and I didnt have to be around while they moaned about it :D

Turns out they were fine about it, all that worrying over nothing.
  • Options
    I went to Uni, so it was a bit obvious! Not sure they'd have been bothered anyway though to be honest... :D
  • Options
    I was 16 and it happened over an argument.
  • Options
    Re: Telling your parents your moving out
    Originally posted by Lynx
    How did you tell them? How old were you? How did they react.

Im moving out in a months time...ish and will have to tell them shortly, just want to find out how this job interview is gona turn out then tell them once i know.

i was 17, i told my aunt to tell my mum because i knew my mum would flip and she did.

My mum would happily have me at home paying her bills and doing her cleaning while she gets drunk moans and throws stuff at me for the rest of my life though, dont expect your parents to be even slightly as loopy.
  • Options
    im gona tell my parents over the weekend, but a bit scared as i know my mum will be upset and maybe cry. Duno how to say it either.
  • Options
    I'm moving out in June. It's so exciting!
  • Options
    i'm planning on moving out end of july/beginning of august and still have no idea how parents will react/how to tell them :s
  • Options
    I am planning to move out next year to get a place with my bf, my mum knows and she seems please (can't wait to get me out of the house really).
  • Options
    just break the news to them, hey mum... i'm found a really nice place and i'm moving out and assure her you can afford it and look after yourself.

start helping out more around the house before telling it to show you don't mind doing the chores that's required with having your own place because keeping a house clean it's usually a load of hassle.