Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Britain "to get its referendum on EU Constitution"

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    There is no such thing as a country called Europe.

There is never going to be such thing as a country called Europe.

No nation is going to lose power over their judiciary or military.

Continental Europeans are not an alien race of paedophiles bent on ruling the world and destroying Britain.

The amount of horror tales and scaremongering from the xenophobic tabloid press we have to put up with is truly unbelievable.

P.S. Michael Howard on the other hand is a blood sucking vampire from deepest Transilvania who needs to be given the wooden stake treatement ASAP.
  • Options
    Originally posted by lukesh
    Anyone heard what Blair is up to now? he will keep giving the British people a vote until he gets what he wants, a yes vote. What a dictator... what an hypercrite!!

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2-2004182190,00.html

*shakes head* I cannot beleive that someone would regulary read that anti-europe right wing trash! If we need more than one referendum so be it! Other countries have had to do it before. Ireland had to over the 2000 Nice treaty.

If you want a balanced argument, featuring pro european views, anti europe views and the actual parts of the constitution i suggest that you read a broad sheet paper and look in today's guardian. It has a full page about it. I will find the link on the net if there is one.
  • Options
    the Guadian is an left wing basing paper too!

facts show that 90% + of the population are aginst the Euro.

What did you think of the Guardians points? You infavour or not?

The guardian may be a left wing paper but it does not out right bend the truth in order to pump fear into the population. I beleive it is regarded as one the most intellagent newspapers.

I have not had a thorough read yet as it was interupted by my dinner. I beleive that it does give a balanced view though, of course it is using others view points.

And yes I am in favour of The European Constitution, Further European intergration and the Euro.

I do not have the time for a debate right now, I must go and finish my Politics Coursework.
  • Options
    Racist?

How so?

Michael Howard is known in political and media circles as a 'vampire' just as many other politicians were known by different nicknames (Two Jags, Paddy Pantsdown, Iron Lady, etc etc etc).

And he certainly doesn't know what's best for this country. As usual the Tories are forgetting about their promises on public services and improving things for everyone, and turning to their two favourite obsessions and object of all their hatred: immigration and Europe.

And errr... there's not such thing as ''Europe's objective''. Europe is a continent made up to some 50 countries. The EU is made of 15, soon to be 25 independent nations. None of those nations has expressed its desire to cease to exist as a country and become part of a new country called Europe.

Quit reading the S*n with its fantasy tales and horror stories if you really want to be informed of current affairs.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Renzokuken
    The guardian may be a left wing paper but it does not out right bend the truth in order to pump fear into the population. I beleive it is regarded as one the most intellagent newspapers.

You're right here, I looked at their site earlier and it had both the yes & no arguments without any obvious bias.
  • Options
    Keeps you filled perhaps but informed is another matter altogether.

Tabloid press is to informed debate what McDonalds is to nutrition.
  • Options
    the sun is my bible!! keeps me well imformed with the horrible united states of europe build up.
    See what I mean, everyone? This just cannot be the honest input of a young man.

There is a word for this. Guess which one...
  • Options
    the sun is my bible!! keeps me well imformed with the horrible united states of europe build up.

A word has yet to be invented for your ignorance to politics and current affairs. Somehow i do not think a paper with headlines on David Beckcam can give someone the information they need in order to take part in an informed political debate. Read a broadsheet then come back.
  • Options
    lmao i do read them. I often read the times, the telegraph and the independant at school.

so why not atleast back up your arguments with articles from those? Instead of the lies that are printed in the tabloid
  • Options
    proove they are lies? they are hard plain facts that you don't agree with.

The paper prints fiction! I don't think anyone has suggested a United States of Europe since Winston Churchill after World War 2! Except for the editors of your choice of "newspaper" of course.
  • Options
    To be fair the S*n has been known to tell the truth from time to time.

The other day for instance it said on the front page Tuesday, 13th April 2004 and it was indeed that date!
  • Options
    I've got news for you: probably the same proportion of Germans, Frenchmen, Spaniards, Italians and others are also 90% against a United States of Europe.

And your point is?

Do you want me to explain to you what the EU Constitution is? Well, rather, I can tell you what it is not: it is not about a 'United States of Europe'.

There is no such thing as a 'United States of Europe.'

There have never been plans for a 'United States of Europe'.

Get it in your head.
  • Options
    omg a United States of Europe is th objective idiot!! Get your facts right.

if not then whats all this intragration about?

The intergration is to enable the countries of Europe to work together in order to use their collective weights in world affairs both ecomically and politically with for emphisis on the former.

Where does it say a united states is the aim? In the Murdoch press? :rolleyes:

May i suggest you read this it is a balanced debate with articles of the constitution in it. Tell me where the constitution mentions a 'United States Of Europe'
  • Options
    lmao left wing Guardian as I'm going believe what that load of crap says.

Why does it take all our laws away? They control it all!

britis don't want that as it shows in the polls.

THEY ARE ARTICLES FROM THE CONSTITUTION YOU FOOL
  • Options
    yes I know!!!

EU Consitution is bad for Britian, we don't want to be independant.

If you know then, you avoided my question. Tell me where the constitution mentions a 'United States of Europe'

and we dont want to be independant do we, surely thats what the constitution is for ;)
  • Options
    Fantastic, I am so excited.

PS I am disgusted to think that you would interpret a S*n poll as representing the views of 'Brits'.

I feel sure I am as 'ritish' as any S*n reader yet probably have a different opinion on almost every major issue, weird!
  • Options
    At least this referendum going to actually give the people a chance to have a proper debate on the subject of the EU.

It is long over due and i hope that in the end sensible debate will win not xenophobic right wing drum bashing that the tabloids take some much delight in doing
  • Options
    ow yes please expalin what the Consitution is.... a tidy put like Blair says? If it's that why the need a of a vote?
    EXACTLY!!!

Ask your beloved master Rupert 'the tax-dodging Dirty Digger' Murdoch. He's the one ultimately responsible for forcing a referendum.
  • Options
    JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    May i suggest you read this it is a balanced debate with articles of the constitution in it.

I would highly recommend people read this article, it presents the view of both the pro-Europe and Euro sceptic camps on the 'top ten points of contention' in a really straightforward and factual way...
    Cheers Renzo!!
  • Options
    Has anyonme ever met someone who properly understands what this constitution is about really, I haven't and never will probably.....

What do you think will be the turnout for this referendum?

My guess is that it will be less than the combined daily readership of the S*n, the Mail, the Express and the Telegraph. If this is so I hope they will admit that they are knobs and shut up in the future.........
  • Options
    lmao typical left winger.

god it's not a tidy up it's a move towards a Federal United States ofEurope and Brits know this!

No it is not. Go and read the article. And brits don't know this, the xenophobic right wing press wants you to beleive it.
  • Options
    brits don't want to listen/read the crap the liberals come out with.

We want to be on own own and not with Europe... surely this is possible?

if you don't want to read crap then throw your pathetic little tabloids away.:rolleyes:

If we are out of Europe we will fail to function on the world stage, can you not see that?

Did you not take note of LadyJade giving her approvals to the article?
  • Options
    JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    Did you not take note of LadyJade giving her approvals to the article?

I thought it was a good balanced view. Just as you criticise everyone for dismissing the tabloids out of hand, lukesh, you yourself dismiss the Guardian. I seem to remember you agreeing recently that all reporting is biased one way or another - surely the important thing is to process the information from a variety of sources, with that in mind?
  • Options
    lmao typical left winger.
    Says the not-very-informed, brainwashed kid who worships a xenophobic sex-obsessed little rag the whole world laughs at for its pointlessness and its extreme bias.
    god it's not a tidy up it's a move towards a Federal United States ofEurope and Brits know this!
    Rubbish.
    Why is it that you guys always spell the Sun like this... S*N?
    For the same reason most newspapers choose to spell 'fuck' like this: f**k or wanker like this: w*****rs.

Because it is a foul offensive word that causes great offence.
    brits don't want to listen/read the crap the liberals come out with.
    Oh yes they do.
    We want to be on own own and not with Europe... surely this is possible?
    Of course it is. People like you can join the racists, purists, xenophobes and homophobes of this country and emigrate together to a desert island. We'll even let you call it 'New Britannia' or something like that, and in there you can live in perfect pure harmony for ever after and free of all those evil asylum seekers, gypsies and Europeans.

Or you could emigrate to America and apply for a job with News International.
  • Options
    I didn't say you were... I said if you are so disgusted by Europe and want to live completely independent of your Continental neighbours, then the most viable solution would be for you and anyone else who hold such extreme views to piss off to a desert island and create their own country there.

And whereas you might not be racist, I suspect the great majority of people willing to move to the said island would be.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Man Of Kent
    Am I right in thinking that you live in New Zealand?
    Little letters under my avatar confirm your guess.
    Originally posted by Aladdin
    There is no such thing as a country called Europe.
    There is never going to be such thing as a country called Europe.
    Fact. There never was a country called Roman Empire or British Empire or Soviet Empire. An empire is not a country.
    This anti-Euro-stuff is a nice proof that Right-wing guys are right sometimes. While anti-war protesters confirm Lefties are right too…
    To Lukesh.
    ‘Sun’ can’t be a Bible! Excuse me but saying this is like a blasphemy. If you are a Christian you shouldn’t say such things.

PS Did you ever read that Giscard’s masterpiece you intend to vote for or against? Stalin would swallow his pipe from envy…
  • Options
    I like europe but we should get close on the politcal agenda.

You don't even know what you mean by that. I get the feeling you're just repeating stuff you've heard your dad say.
  • Options
    Originally posted by LabRat
    Little letters under my avatar confirm your guess.

I can just see the irony in your comments then.

In either case being suggested we would retain our head of state.

Funnily enough, the same head of state that your little country has...
  • Options
    Back up your opinion with reasons or I'll continue to think you're an idiot.
  • Options
    Tell me what you mean by this "I like europe but we should get close on the politcal agenda." then.

What political agenda in particular? And why don't you like it?