Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Need advice quickly please...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Well, my mate rang me up this morning and she thinks she's pregnant but I don't know which direction to point her in, she's done about 5 home pregnancy tests, 2 negative and 3 positive but she wants to know for sure so what I'm asking is, does anyone know of anywhere where you can drop in and have a pregnancy test done that same day??? I would be very grateful for any suggestions... :(

Comments

• Options
    GP. :yes:
  • Options
    GP indeed.

but for the record, she's probably pregnant.

the reason some of them are coming out negative and some positive sounds like she's not very far gone - some of the tests are different sensitivities, so some will pick up on the hormone, and some won't.

false positives are very rare.

oh, and try a family planning clinic, or even a chemist, if she can't see a GP.
  • Options
    Can you just drop in to family planning or do you have to make an appointment? She tried to make an appointment with her gp today but couldn't get one and she really wants to know today. Think we're gonna take a trip to Connexions...
  • Options
    i'm pretty sure you should be able to just drop in.

also, do you have an NHS walk in centre nearby? they're also good, and will see you whenever you wander in.
  • Options
    Yeah I heard about the NHS walk-in centre but I don't know whether there is one nearby, I'll have a look for one. That would be good if we could just go and get her seen today.
  • Options
    Ok, I just rang her and we're going to go to connexions so she can speak to someone, get advice etc. If they're no good we're going to the NHS walk-in centre. Thanks for your advice. :)
  • Options
    If she's had two positives then she's pregnant- home tests are now so accurate that they don't bother doing their own test if she's had positives.

The tests work by detecting a hormone- if the hormone isn't detected, then you can get a false negative, but false positives are so rare as to not be worth thinking about. The hormone is there, she's pregnant.
  • Options
    Oh, and now I've given the advice I'll point out that we have a "sex" and "health" forum for a reason:)
  • Options
    home tests are now so accurate that they don't bother doing their own test if she's had positives.

That's not actually true, if you get a positive result with a home pregnancy kit, you still have to have a test done by your GP because they have to confirm it for their records and yes I know there's a health and sex forum but thanks for pointing it out all the same :rolleyes:
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit
    If she's had two positives then she's pregnant- home tests are now so accurate that they don't bother doing their own test if she's had positives.

Oooh, David David David! I've never known you to be more wrong, tsk tsk! :p

(And yeah, for the record, the GP does need to do their own tests, you can't take their word for it as they might just want free maternity benefits... yes, it does happen I'm afraid.)
  • Options
    Originally posted by BumbleBee
    (And yeah, for the record, the GP does need to do their own tests, you can't take their word for it as they might just want free maternity benefits... yes, it does happen I'm afraid.)

not always true - maybe it depends on the surgery.

my brother's girlfriend wasn't tested by the GP for either of her pregnancies - they just took her word for it. they told her they could do a blood test if she wanted to find out how far along she was, but because she was already pretty sure, they didn't do one.

but yeah, i'm totally understanding the free benefits thing. my mental cousin has lied about being pregnant (even to her doctor) so many times that now she is alledgedly due in a month, and we still don't know if she's actually pregnant. god help the baby if she is.
  • Options
    ClaireBearClaireBear Deactivated Posts: 467 Listening Ear
    This is a little late now but for future reference. Here are the places you can go if you're in this sort of position:

1) Your doctor (GP). If you haven't got a GP you can find the one nearest to you here.
    (Not all GPs will give you a free pregnancy test)

2) Your local family planning clinic. To find the nearest one look here
    (You can get a free pregnancy test at family planning clinics)

3) Your local Brook centre, you can find the nearest one to you here.
    (You can get a free pregnancy test here too)

All of these places will also talk you through your options and next steps and they are entirely confidential services.

CB
  • Options
    Originally posted by BumbleBee
    Oooh, David David David! I've never known you to be more wrong, tsk tsk! :p

Not true, mine only did one for me as i asked for it & he said, " i will but its the same test you buy in the shop!".
  • Options
    ClaireBearClaireBear Deactivated Posts: 467 Listening Ear
    Sorry to butt in again, but Tweety is right. Basically home pregnancy tests are highly accurate if done correctly so doctors are phasing out the practise of doing ones for their patients.

For more information look at this link.

This doesn't mean to say that if you go to a clinic and ask for a pregnancy test that you won't get one - if you need confirmation at a family planning clinic or a Brook centre you will get it.

CB