Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

The POlice: Last Bastion of openness and fairness

Source: Private Eye.

A police officer who used his car to stop a black youth in Brixtion who was riding a moped (suspected stolen but legitimately borrowed from a friend) was found guilty of being "neglectful in his perfomance as a police officer". His punishment by the police? A fine equivalent to thirteen days pay.

The youth was a promising basketball player; four years after the incident he still has to walk with the aid of crutches. A random quote from a police officer caught on tape by the ambulance service:
He's conscious and screaming, yeah, teach him to nick mopeds
. A paramedic at the scene had to shout at another officer for laughing about the incident.

It's no wonder that faith in the police force has plummeted to an all-time low. As with any professional body, they only ever look after themselves, and only ever help themselves. The officers in question should be in jail (instead of all those single mums who didn't pay the beeb-tax) but instead they get away with a slap on the wrist.

I still am unsure about the racism argument, but when I read things like this I begin to become more convinced. Certainly the police are self-centreed and self-serving, and have completely lost sight of their role: to protect and serve, not run down people with cars, and then cover it all up.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Re: The POlice: Last Bastion of openness and fairness
    Originally posted by Kermit
    A police officer who used his car to stop a black youth in Brixtion who was riding a moped (suspected stolen but legitimately borrowed from a friend) was found guilty of being "neglectful in his perfomance as a police officer". His sentence? A fine equivalent to thirteen days pay.

Whatever happened to "assault"?
  • Options
    If this young man was on the right side of the road, driving below the speed limit then it is irrational to run him down, whether the vehicle is stolen or not.
  • Options
    Re: Re: The POlice: Last Bastion of openness and fairness
    Originally posted by Man Of Kent
    Whatever happened to "assault"?

Sorry, I should clarify.

This was an internal punishment given to him by the police, no criminal charges were ever brought against the officer.
  • Options
    Originally posted by the doc horatio
    If this young man was on the right side of the road, driving below the speed limit then it is irrational to run him down, whether the vehicle is stolen or not.
    Even if he was going at 80 mph I would still find it very hard to justify running him down.
  • Options
    Re: Re: Re: The POlice: Last Bastion of openness and fairness
    Sorry, I should clarify.

This was an internal punishment given to him by the police, no criminal charges were ever brought against the officer.

Kermit I read this and unfortunately I am not shocked or surprised in the least. I watched the documentary the other day on the Black ex-marine who died in a police station while the officers stood around, while my White friend watching with me was shocked and surprised, again I wasn't.

Over the years I've heard too many stories of this type, it happens again and again and will continue to do so. The fact that these things go unpunished should explain to you why people like myself and McPherson believe there is a culture of institutional racism within the Police Force. You may never agree with that idea but I hope you are beginning to understand why a lot of people do.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Aladdin
    Even if he was going at 80 mph I would still find it very hard to justify running him down.

This may be a very Whowhere opinion, but if the person is a danger to others, they should be taken down. Unfortunately, there is no reasonable way to do this, so rationality goes out of the window. However, I don't think he was. The motive was that the officer thought the moped was stolen so what he did was out of order.
  • Options
    Re: Re: Re: Re: The POlice: Last Bastion of openness and fairness
    Originally posted by BlackArab
    You may never agree with that idea but I hope you are beginning to understand why a lot of people do.

I think I'm caught in the middle because I know coppers and they aren't like this, not even slightly. So when people complain about it I can't see it.

But the more I read the more I'm inclined to believe it, to be honest. The one case that made me think was that of Gurpval Singh, again in the Met.
  • Options
    the problem here is always the same ...dealt with internaly as opposed to a court of law ...happens time and time again.
    they should face the legal process the rest of us do ...it might make them behave themselves ...might.
  • Options
    Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: The POlice: Last Bastion of openness and fairness
    I think I'm caught in the middle because I know coppers and they aren't like this, not even slightly. So when people complain about it I can't see it.

But the more I read the more I'm inclined to believe it, to be honest. The one case that made me think was that of Gurpval Singh, again in the Met.

Most OB I meet are perfectly fine towards me and I have no reason to complain about their individual behaviour. The problem as I see it lie within the culture of the institution especially within certain forces like the Met. If people know they can break the rules and get away with it a significant minority of people will do so.

What needs to change is that the Police need to enforce the rules in the same way civilians do, if we do certain things in our job we get disciplined, sacked or even prosecuted. The Police need to act the same way more often if they are to gain more trust and support from every sector of the population.
  • Options
    The police deserve critisism when it's due, but they rarely get the praise they deserve when they do something good.
  • Options
    What should be instituted in our societies would be Civic Review Boards comprised of local citizens to whom the police in every area would be accountable and which would have the authority to deny promotions or pay increases to those deemed abusers of their position.
  • Options
    Re: Re: Re: Re: The POlice: Last Bastion of openness and fairness
    Originally posted by BlackArab
    I watched the documentary the other day on the Black ex-marine who died in a police station while the officers stood around,

i watched that too and was totally shocked. it was disgusting and i cant believe these guys were never cross examined in court. it disgusts me.
    these arseholes make the job ten times harder for the people in the police force who want to do thier job properly.
  • Options
    Kermit I read this and unfortunately I am not shocked or surprised in the least. I watched the documentary the other day on the Black ex-marine who died in a police station while the officers stood around, while my White friend watching with me was shocked and surprised, again I wasn't.

I also watched that documentary and I found it absolutely dispicable, so many things went unanswered in that case, that man and his family have been failed by the system. Institutional racism is a big problem in the police force, whether anyone admits it or not.
  • Options
    Dunno what to say about this. I think the officer's actions were unjustified, but at the same time I think if this guy really were a criminal he should expect that one day he would recieve his comeuppance.
  • Options
    He wasn't a criminal. Thats the point. The police officer assumed he was because he was black.
  • Options
    Which is what I said....
  • Options
    Not really.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Originally posted by Braineater
    The police deserve critisism when it's due, but they rarely get the praise they deserve when they do something good.

It might sound bad, but I don't think the police should expect to get any special praise when they do their job well. They signed up for this and are expected to help people, it's not exactly being a samaritan.

On the main subject: It seems many (if not most) cops today view their job as a position of power and want to be able to do more than "mere mortals" without having to answer for it.
    Over here many people are racist against albanians. About a year ago, an albanian was shot in the head and killed by a cop while he was driving a truck. The cop said that he had asked him to pull over but he didn't. The other passenger in the truck said that he just shot, without saying anything. About the firing, the cop said that "the gun fired by itself". He was charged, but found innocent.
    The most suspicious thing is that the self-firing gun excuse has been used many times, and somehow all victims of those guns happen to be albanians.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Whowhere
    Dunno what to say about this. I think the officer's actions were unjustified, but at the same time I think if this guy really were a criminal he should expect that one day he would recieve his comeuppance.
    and when and where are the coppers going to recieve theirs i wonder ...
  • Options
    Originally posted by Whowhere
    I think the officer's actions were unjustified, but at the same time I think if this guy really were a criminal he should expect that one day he would recieve his comeuppance.

Two things.

One, he wasn't a criminal. The officer assumed he was because he happened to be young and black.

Two, "his comeuppance" would be delivered via the legal justice system, should he be convicted of a crime. If you think that the police should be allowed to "teach people a lesson" by driving a car at them then I should be allowed to run over the police officer in question with a bus and get away with it scot-free.