Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Do i really need to see a doctor/councillor (sp)

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
My mum thinks i need to go and see a doctor and/or a councillor. I have really bad mood swings as in one min im really happy and the next im really down and feel like or will cry. Ive also had a rough past year or so, more probs, for different reasons, which can really depress me at times. Do you think i need to go see someone about it? Its only recently started, and sometimes it feels like its getting worse, but i dont know. Thanks :)

Comments

• Options
    Re: Do i really need to see a doctor/councillor (sp)
    Originally posted by *TiNK*
    I have really bad mood swings as in one min im really happy and the next im really down and feel like or will cry.

Sounds like part of being a teenager to me!
  • Options
    Are you taking the combined oral contraceptive pill?

Some particular brands are said to make mood swings worse.

Otherwise, like, totally cheer up. You're a successful model, or something.
  • Options
    Yeah but its not just a teenage thing, i mean its really getting me down, a few things have happend to make me like this, one being my ex bf atm, he wont leave me alone etc, has knocked my confidence, made me feel like shit, i cant go out where i used to cuz of him, stuff like that :(
  • Options
    Originally posted by ginner
    You're a successful model, or something.

and thats going to make me happy? :confused:
  • Options
    Originally posted by *TiNK*
    and thats going to make me happy? :confused:

If you're career or public perception orientated then yes.

Why is it you think that you can't go out incase your boyfriend's there? Surely a few public verbal sparrings will ensure he leaves you alone?
  • Options
    Because he does not, under any cercumstances leave me alone, he follows me, shouts at me, has me in hysterics, crying etc etc. The polive are involved now.
  • Options
    what good will seeing a doctor/counceller do? they wont make your problems go away...
  • Options
    There's no harm in trying. Sometimes people just need to have someone they can talk to, to put things in perspective. Or maybe there's an organisation you can use over the phone (isn't there one called Nightline?) before trying other things? It's up to you though, it has to be your choice.
  • Options
    Originally posted by go_away
    Or maybe there's an organisation you can use over the phone (isn't there one called Nightline?) before trying other things?
    Actually, Nightline is a uni thing, but you could call the Samaritans, Tink (you do not have to be suicidal or something to call them!), or Childline.

The Samaritans 08457 909090 or jo@samaritans.org
    Childline 0800 1111

Do be aware that I don't think the Samaritans number is freephone, so it will show up on your phone bill. Childline won't.

Hope this helps some.

Incidentally, there's no harm in seeing your GP. They will refer you to a counsellor if they feel the need to (this will probably take a few months to come to anything).

PM me if you want to chat.
  • Options
    ide go and see your gp and just tell him how your feeling. they should be able to help you decide what to do to help your moods, of course they cant take away your problems but sometimes they can give you something to elevate your mood and help you to deal with your problems more easily.
  • Options
    well i'd give it time. if you've had a lot of stress and upset lately then it's not wonder you're feeling like this and having mood swings. i also agree that it's part of being a hormonal teenager!! you don't know how to control situations or how to handle things as well as you do when you get older.

take time out and relax with friends, family or on your own. and put things into perspective too.
  • Options
    A friend of mine recently started going to counselling because of issues with her mum and her dad dying. She says it's one of the best things she ever did. It can work, and it helps to talk.

A counsellor won't sit there and tell you that you are wrong to fell the way you do. They won't try to blame anything on your parents/childhood/life. They will instead let you talk through the issues in your life and help you to understand how to overcome them. Hopefully they will also teach you how to take responsibility for your own life and your own decisions. making you a stronger person who is more in touch with her feelings and the ways to control them.

Your mum is trying to help you.
  • Options
    Counsellors are IDEAL for working through incident-caused depression and stress. They give you a safe place to vent frustration and anger at things that have happened, and a comforting ear to help you come to terms with them.

So yes, you probably should go and see a counsellor. At least for two or three appointments- if it's crap, it's crap, but give it a go. I don't know if you NEED to, but if you are down then it's a good idea to. Counsellors are there for everyone, not just the depressed and mental cases.
  • Options
    yus. i don't think there's anything abnormal about the way you're feeling, but if there are problems there, it's sometimes helpful to get a third party on the job.

they won't solve your problems, but they will let you talk everything through and get a handle on how you're going to deal with them.

although, it has to be said, in a lot of cases, talking to any calm, impartial person can work just as well. there's a lot to be said for getting it off your chest.

you can find counsellors through your doctor, but they also tend to be attached to schools, unis and workplaces - and taking the second option would probably get you seen quicker. in my area at least, there's quite a hefty waiting list for counsellors.
  • Options
    Like the others have said, counselling is a good way to talk through any issues that are seriously affecting you and your well being, you needn't necessarily have a serious mental health problem, counselling really is about helping you to maintain good mental health :)

However it is a true that you may have to wait a while to see someone through the nhs because you aren't an extreme case. That said, aren't you still at school? In which case there probably will be someone at school who can set up counselling sessions for you.

In the meantime there are several good helplines out there including careline:

Careline
    Telephone counselling service for children, young people and adults on any issue, including relationships, depression, mental health, child abuse, bullying, rape and sexual assault, domestic violence, addictions, stress etc.
    Telephone: 020 8875 0500

TheSite factsheet on counselling

Take care

Susie

:)