Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

The combined pill and spots

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hello!

Did a quick search and didn't find what I was after, but you have my apologies if I didn't look properly...

To stop my period-pain issues I've gone onto the combined pill (Microgynon 30) and it did occur to me that in some cases hormone pills help clear up bad skin - does anyone know if microgynon does this? I don't have major acne issues, would just be interested to know!

Cheers
Picc
x

Comments

• Options
  • Options
    Originally posted by girl with sharp teeth
    Dianette is the one usually prescribed to help with acne. I have to say, I never noticed any improvement in my skin with Microgynon, and one of my friend's skin actually got worse until she switched.
    Ah, thanks for that. Least I know what to blame if I break out. Sucks though!
  • Options
    i started taking mycrgynon for the same reason as you. i did find for the first couple of months of taking it that i got a few spots and stuff but its all fine now. sometimes there are changes whilst your body gets used to it.
  • Options
  • Options
    i find that my skin is clearer on microgynon than it was before, but that could just be down to my teenage hormones calming down, cause it happened at around the same time.

i also find my hair is shinier and sleeker. oddness.
  • Options
    Yeah I'm on Dianette and I used to get quite a few spots but now I am completely spot free. :D
  • Options
    Originally posted by *Lisa*
    Yeah I'm on Dianette and I used to get quite a few spots but now I am completely spot free. :D
    i don't know how long you've been on that for but apparentl you should be on it for no longer than 6months. then there is a milder pill which you go onto next. i think it's called 'marvelon'. my doctor didn't tell me this when i was on dianette but i requested 'yasmin' after a while anyway,
  • Options
    Originally posted by kaffrin
    i find that my skin is clearer on microgynon than it was before, but that could just be down to my teenage hormones calming down, cause it happened at around the same time.

i also find my hair is shinier and sleeker. oddness.
    Aren't the two connected? Greasy hair and greasy skin/spots I mean. Because they're caused by the oils your something glands produce.
  • Options
    Cilest is also sometimes prescribed for bad skin. I was originally put on Dianette but that gave me awful period pain so I changed to Cilest :)
  • Options
    Originally posted by lipsy
    i don't know how long you've been on that for but apparentl you should be on it for no longer than 6months. then there is a milder pill which you go onto next. i think it's called 'marvelon'. my doctor didn't tell me this when i was on dianette but i requested 'yasmin' after a while anyway,

I've been on Dianette for about 2yrs without changing to a milder pill. I have to see the doctor before they will give me my pills each time i need a new packet and they've never mentioned it before.
  • Options
    Originally posted by xXxHelzxXx
    I've been on Dianette for about 2yrs without changing to a milder pill. I have to see the doctor before they will give me my pills each time i need a new packet and they've never mentioned it before.

Same. My mums been on it for like 5 years too.
  • Options
    Originally posted by piccolo
    Aren't the two connected? Greasy hair and greasy skin/spots I mean. Because they're caused by the oils your something glands produce.

my hair wasn't greasy. it was really dry and frizzy and bushy. when i'm on the pill it's soft and shiny and sleek. i came off the pill for a while a few years back, and it went back to being frizzy and bushy :crazyeyes:

i have dry skin too, my spots were always hormonal. trouble is with most spot creams, they dry out your skin, cause they presume it's going to be greasy. which was a pain.
  • Options
    I used to take microgynon and it made me throw up all the time. Since then I have found out I have "poliptic ovaries" and my face, chin in particular, broke out in megga spots just before my period every month, it was horrid...untill I found...(now this might sound like an advert:eek: )...Clinique.
    Yes the stuff might cost a bloody fortune but since I started using it last November I have had about 4 tiny ones, that vanished in a day or so. Its the 3 step thing that has worked but I have to say the "claryfing lotion", second stage acctually hurts:( but its a small price to pay for no spots...just a big price to pay on my credit card!:naughty:
    :D
  • Options
    Marvelon is another one that helps skin.

(But I'm on Marvelon and still get spots :rolleyes: )