Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

**milk**

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Does anyone know if drinking too much milk is bad for you?

I ask as it seems to be the only thing my boy is drinking at the moment. He must drink about 6-8 glasses a day. Sometimes even more.

Comments

• Options
    not sure, but my brother has been drinking 2-3 pints a day for about the last 10 years, and he's ok.

although my mum told him it'd make him grow all tall and stuff, and he's only 5'4'' :lol:
  • Options
    I know that milk helps bones and stuff grow stronger in kids but not sure if too much of a good thing is bad. Think I'll go ask Jeeves. :D
  • Options
    Originally posted by kaffrin

although my mum told him it'd make him grow all tall and stuff, and he's only 5'4'' :lol:

awwwwww :)
  • Options
    my dad got a hernia because he drank too much milk.he doesnt drink it no more.
  • Options
    Originally posted by curiouslad
    my dad got a hernia because he drank too much milk.he doesnt drink it no more.

:crazyeyes

I doubt the milk caused it. They might have been a slight correlation but you couldn't say that drinking the milk alone caused the hernia.

And as far as I'm aware, there's no problem with drinking lots of milk. Unless he's lactose-intolerant, but I think he'd have realised by now. :p

I'm the same, easily finish off 2 pints in a day. My favourite non-alcoholic drink by far! :D
  • Options
    You could try replacing cows milk with soya milk? Or half and halfing it?

Cows milk apparently isn't great for the human digestion and it can build up mucus in the gut. if you are black it can often mean you're intollerant to it.

But, yes, it's great for bones. Everyone should drink more water though!
  • Options
    If you drink too much milk, you get calcium spots just above your eyelids. I seen it happen to a mate of mine, and he is pretty addicted to the white substance. They do clear after a few weeks though.
  • Options
    I tried to search for some information about it recently as I drink a lot of milk, and mom brought up that it might not be so healthy.

I mainly found stuff about breastfeeding, but some of the stuff I found regarding this issue suggested that it might help cause iron deficiency (I think it was that).

I've not heard anything concrete though..

Edited to add: Ahh.. just found a source (in Icleandic so I wont link to it ;)) that says that too much calcium can prevent the body from being able to absorb as much iron, zink, and magensium (hope those are the correct words :p). It didn't say how much was too much though.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Fáfnir VII
    Edited to add: Ahh.. just found a source (in Icleandic so I wont link to it ;)) that says that too much calcium can prevent the body from being able to absorb as much iron, zink, and magensium (hope those are the correct words :p). It didn't say how much was too much though.

I found a similar source also (in English :p ) and it also said that too much could cause the above problems. But again never said how much as too much. :mad:
  • Options
    Originally posted by z0ma
    :crazyeyes

I doubt the milk caused it. They might have been a slight correlation but you couldn't say that drinking the milk alone caused the hernia.

And as far as I'm aware, there's no problem with drinking lots of milk. Unless he's lactose-intolerant, but I think he'd have realised by now. :p

I'm the same, easily finish off 2 pints in a day. My favourite non-alcoholic drink by far! :D

I know it wasnt just the milk but it was one of the few factors that caused it.