Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Anemic (sp?)

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Can anyone give me some ideas as to how you'd get any idea you are anemic, my mum said i might be the other day, and i dont know :confused:

Comments

• Options
  • Options
    a quick check is to pull down your bottom eyelids and see if they're still pinky, or if they've gone kind of white.

of course you should still get checked out/blood tested, but my doctor always does this as a good indicator of if your blood's ok. they have trouble telling cause my face goes so pale sometimes i look kinda anaemic, but my blood's usually fine.
  • Options
    Originally posted by kaffrin
    they have trouble telling cause my face goes so pale sometimes i look kinda anaemic,

I do that.
  • Options
    they used to think i was anemic cos im so pale and theres no reason for it at all (my mum's got greek colouring) and i was ridiculously skinny (5'2 and 6 and a half stone) numerous blood test proved them all wrong though
    if you're worried about it just eat more red meat - good source of iron or nuts etc if you're veggie (i think)

you can always go to the doctors.
  • Options
    Being anaemic is not very nice, you get palpitations, feel breathless and pass out an awful lot. I had to take iron tablets for ages and felt generally awful! I needed a blood transfusion after I had my son, but they couldn't get the drip in me, so they gave up and gave me tablets instead.

I think if you push down on your fingernails until they go white, take the pressure off and then seeing how long they take to go back to their normal colour is a pretty good guide. Might be one of those old wives tales though.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Joolyknockers
    Being anaemic is not very nice, you get palpitations, feel breathless and pass out an awful lot. I had to take iron tablets for ages and felt generally awful! I needed a blood transfusion after I had my son, but they couldn't get the drip in me, so they gave up and gave me tablets instead.
    that might be a very severe case of aneamia though.

i just used to feel really faint/dizzy on my period and passed out a couple of times. maybe if you're tired a lot too.

best thing to do is make sure you have a healthy diet especially with meat, brocolli, spinach and go see a doc!
  • Options
    Originally posted by lipsy
    that might be a very severe case of aneamia though.

i just used to feel really faint/dizzy on my period and passed out a couple of times. maybe if you're tired a lot too.

best thing to do is make sure you have a healthy diet especially with meat, brocolli, spinach and go see a doc!

Oh god yeah it was!!

Make sure you don't drink tea with your meals as that prevents your body from absorbing the iron from your meal. Orange juice and dried apricots are supposed to help you absorb more iron.
  • Options
    I did the eyelid thing Kaff, and they r pale apparently, so my mum said. Ive got a docs apt tomorrow, so il check it up there. Thanks guys :) x
  • Options
    Originally posted by *TiNK*
    I did the eyelid thing Kaff, and they r pale apparently, so my mum said. Ive got a docs apt tomorrow, so il check it up there. Thanks guys :) x
    Good luck at the doctors :)

I had a blood test for this but apparently I'm far from aneamic. I think it was just the doctors being extra careful though as I never had any of the symptoms the others have described.