Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Laser eye surgery

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Ok my dad put the idea in my head this morning when I moaned about the cost of glasses-about £100 for thinned and coated lenses with frames, times this over my life and yeh it would probably cost the same as an operation!

So dad suggested having the surgery. Howver I'm not sure, he mentioned Boots doing it which would be good and said he was sure the cost has come done to £750 per eye. (think he's been researching!)

So has anyone on here had it done or someone they know? if so do you recommend it?

I know I should google myself but any sites I shoukd refer to-moderators do you have any on here?

thanx for any help guys!

Comments

• Options
    There's lots of sites on lasik and stuff. Just google. At the end of the day though only you can decide because there are sites that say do and sites that say don't.
  • Options
    Doesn't in some cases that when you have the op you still have to wear glasses for reading or whatever?

I would love to have laser eye surgery because my eyes are really bad and I hate wearing glasses or contacts.
  • Options
    Originally posted by *lil~miss*
    Doesn't in some cases that when you have the op you still have to wear glasses for reading or whatever?

I would love to have laser eye surgery because my eyes are really bad and I hate wearing glasses or contacts.

The surgery can't prevent the natural degredation of the eye that means you might need reading glasses in later life, and it doesn't always correct to 20/20 or better, but it mostly does, methinks.
  • Options
    Laser eye surgery can correct your eyes to near perfect vision. But, if your eyes are unstable - ie the prescription keeps changing, which it must be if you need to keep getting new glasses, then whilst your eyes will be fine after the operation, they will continue to deteriorate - the surgery doesn't stop that, so you would need to continue wearing glasses anyway. And you can't go for surgery more than once.
  • Options
    My brother went for an appointment last year but they said he had to wait til he was 20/21 because you're eyes don't stop growing until then. Not sure how old you are so no idea if that effects you or not! My ex's dad had it done and he recovered pretty quickly and everything was fine! I think it's def worth it if you can afford it and aren't squeamish with people messing about with your eyes :nervous:
  • Options
    Yeah my boyfriend recently wrote off for some information on it but they told him he had to be at least 20 to have it done with a stable perscription of at least two years.

I've talked to people who have had it done and they say there is some discomfort for a couple of days afterwards but after that its been fine and they're glad they had it done.

It is quite expensive however but it depends how you are with glasses, my boyfriend loses or breaks glasses quite often so for him to pay to get laser surgery done will probably work out better financially in the long run.
  • Options
    I always assumed it was a pretty risky venture but my Politics teacher has had it done and he's had no complaints. Interestingly enough the leading experts in laser eye surgery are all former Soviet doctors...
  • Options
    Thanx guys! well I'm 22 so the age thing is a problem! I think cus I have a very bad prescription that it may be unsuitable but boots offer a free consultation so I may take that. I googled and am reading around just to get the facts and stuff because I have plenty of time as don't intend having it til i finish uni in august.

Anyways thanks guys!
  • Options
    I'm having it done in a few years. I'm 17 now, so I'll have to wait a few years but I don't mind.

I have one of the worst eyesights, and have rugby ball shaped eyes instead of the normal 'football' shape. Contact lenses cost me £250 per pair, so they're a no go.

And to have ultrathin lenses, my glasses cost £250, and as I'm only 17 I have to have new glasses every 6 months.

So, I'm guessing lazer surgery is the best option.

Ilora x