Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Changing Anti-Depressant

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
My GP has suggested changing my medication but said its up to me.

At the moment I take Prozac which suits me ok. I'm not fantastic on it but I'm better with it than without it.

I used to take Seroxat which did nothing at all for me really.

She said she thought their may be something that works for me better than Prozac but I'm quite nervous about changing incase it turns out to be worse.

I know there's no point going to the doctor if your not going to listen but the thought of being like I was before I went on Prozac worries me.

Comments

• Options
    my theory on drugs like this is if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

no AD is going to make you all happy-smiley. they're not uppers. all they do is level you out, make you not sad. if you're feeling 'ok', then they're working.

this is the most overused phrase in existence, but people use it cause it's true: the only thing that can make you happy is you.
  • Options
    Originally posted by kaffrin
    my theory on drugs like this is if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

no AD is going to make you all happy-smiley. they're not uppers. all they do is level you out, make you not sad. if you're feeling 'ok', then they're working.

this is the most overused phrase in existence, but people use it cause it's true: the only thing that can make you happy is you.
    Yeah I agree. But I'm not really that stable on Prozac. I feel ok for maybe half an hour a day on average. Actually I spend that time seeming very high which is weird but better than being sad. And then the rest of the day I'm sad again but at least knowing that when my next sudden mood swing comes along I'll be happy again.
  • Options
    ah, well if you're getting mood swings, then it might be a good idea to try something else.

the aim with them is just to feel ok, all of the time. you won't ever feel great, but then you'll never feel awful either. that's how you'll know it's doing its thing.

and i know that doctor knows best and all that, but in my experience, your average GP knows a very limited amount about mental illness. so don't be scared to speak up if they suggest something you're not happy with. you have the best idea of how you're doing, not them. and you know if something's working for you.
  • Options
    What dose of fluoxetine are you on?

When I was on 20mg/day the dose wasn't high enough to stabilise my moods, but on 40mg/day it was. But if you are getting mood swings like that perhaps it isn't working.

Talk to your doctor, but if you aren't feeling "ok" for most of the time then they aren't eworking- eitehr the drug is wrong, or the dose is too low.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit
    What dose of fluoxetine are you on?

When I was on 20mg/day the dose wasn't high enough to stabilise my moods, but on 40mg/day it was. But if you are getting mood swings like that perhaps it isn't working.

Talk to your doctor, but if you aren't feeling "ok" for most of the time then they aren't eworking- eitehr the drug is wrong, or the dose is too low.
    It's just been increased from 20mg per day to 30mg per day. But I've only been on the higher dose for a week now. Not sure how long it's meant to take to be effective.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Randomgirl
    It's just been increased from 20mg per day to 30mg per day. But I've only been on the higher dose for a week now. Not sure how long it's meant to take to be effective.

The increase in dose normally takes about as long to be effective as the original pills did. So wait three to four weeks.

The notice is hard to see, though, which is the awkward thing about ADs. YOu won't feel "happy", you will probably feel quite blah and "ok", maybe even a bit blank. People call them "Happy pills" but they aren't, they are anti-depressants- they stop the depresed feelings, and stabilise mood swings. They are only ever supposed to be a stop-gap meaure, but the NHS is os under-funded and over-subscribed most people on ADS never get anywhere near a psychotherapist.