Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Channel 4 to show graphic abortion footage

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    Originally posted by girl with sharp teeth
    Go to the Sex forum then :p
    i'd prefer to trust the latest medical papers that back up years of research ...
    did you know that the bibles instruction on circumcision tallys with modern science?
    doing it to an adult carries certain small risks but ...doing it on the 8th day of the childs life just happens to be when the blood flow and the pain receptors are at there lowest functioning in the life of that male?
    clever stuff.
  • Options
  • Options
    I dont see why they shouldnt show it on TV. In a programme about abortion why wouldnt they show footage? Its entirely appropriate. Apparently the footage of the actual operation os only short anyway, but its been sensationalised for the sake of the media. I might watch it if im in. I Know thats what happens during an abortion as does everyone who has one. Be interesting to see it, but then again Ive watched `under the knife with Miss Evans` thats got to be worse.
  • Options
    Originally posted by rachie004
    Why do I get the impression that being anti abortion is deemed to be a bad thing?
    Being anti abortion is a personal choice and not a bad thing.

Trying to impose your views on others and demand they do as you say is however a bad thing.

If the anti-abortion fundies had it their way they would ban abortion for everyone. Fuck them.
  • Options
    Originally posted by byny
    yes sometimes people take no precautions, get pregnant, have an abortion as if it's another form of contraception but it is impossible to tell who these people are.

It's not another type of of contraception, because contraception is trying to stop conception; whereas in abortion the baby has already been conceived.

Having said that; it's a completely pro-choice option in my books. There used to be so many backstreet abortions that pro-choice is the only way forward really. It's determining where to lie in the shades of grey that matters though - like who is elligible for abortion.

This type of program should be shown; why should we hide anything? I watched open heart surgery and I thought it was amazing. Not of course that I'd find anything great about the feotus; but I think it is a good idea to be able to show these things. If people hide the worse parts... they all build up then everythings a conspiracy :p
  • Options
    Originally posted by TheShyBoyInTheCorner
    It's not another type of of contraception, because contraception is trying to stop conception; whereas in abortion the baby has already been conceived.

Yeah - what I meant was that some women actually think - 'oh what the hell, so I have no protection - I'll have an abortion if the worst happens' - I know people who have done this!!
  • Options
    I can actually see more why pro-life people wouldn't want it to be shown. If you believe that those cells are a person beginning from conception- then watching an abortion would be equivalent to watching an execution. I can see how it would be very upsetting to watch something like that. I've actually had debates before with people in the US about whether or not to televise executions. Some people say that it will be a deterrant to commiting a crime. I personally have never seen the logic in this - people are going to do as they please. Similarly I don't think that watching an abortion is going to make anyone practice safe sex

Having said that though, I do think it's a good idea to show it. Yes, it has the shock value that the media is going for... but it may also force people to think through how they feel on the issue before getting into the situation. I am personally pro-choice but I also see some of the arguments of the pro-life side. I feel like this show may have its merits in the fact that it is forcing people to discuss the issue and form more concrete ideas about how they feel before getting into an emotionally charged situation where they are faced with the option of having an abortion.
  • Options
    Yeah - reading that I can see in a way you are right - who wants to watch an execution.

On the other hand - if we're going to do it - (Abortion, execution whatever) then lets be open about it eh?
  • Options
    But isn't there a fine line between being open to something and making a public spectacle out of it? I'm sure no one wants to go back to the days of public executions in the main square of town.

I realize I'm contradicting myself here a bit since I do think the abortion should be shown... but then again I'm not a pro-life person and don't have the strong views about watching an abortion that I would about watching an execution.

Are there pro-life people here who have opinions on this? If you think this abortion should be shown would you also be in support of showing an execution on tv?
  • Options
    Originally posted by carolina_girl
    But isn't there a fine line between being open to something and making a public spectacle out of it?
    Spot on. And in this particular case the programme is leaning towards the latter methinks.
  • Options
    I was completely for abortion for a while thinking that a fertilized egg was no more that a load of cells mashed together in a womb.

However the girl im with now has a 4 year old girl who was almost aborted, that then makes you wonder if the other decision had been made then she wouldnt have been given a chance to exist.

So Im somewhere in the middle now, I agree with abortion for rape, extreem abnormalliy but somehow to take away a childs chance at life because you couldnt be arsed wearing a condom is really selfish.
  • Options
    That wasn't directed at you Rachie.

We all debate here and elsewhere, and in a way we all try to 'sell' others our ideas. But debating and trying to convince others of your points of view is one thing, and trying to ban others from doing what you don't approve of is another. This IMO is what the Pro-life Alliance and all other fundamentalist organisations are trying to achieve: to lobby endlessly, to form political parties, to do all they can to make abortion illegal in this country. That is what I have a problem with.

But as I said I wasn't trying to suggest you were doing that- I was talking about the said groups.
  • Options
    Abortion ~

Such a horrible word - No one can come to terms in saying that word without feeling guilty no matter what we try and tell ourselves.

In another thread I did go against the idea of showing the procedure of an abortion on television. Basically, cause it sickened me.

People would say they're against abortions cause they automatically say it's murder. When we hear that, we freeze.

But then you get people who say, it's the womans choice. It's not human. It's still part of the womans' body and it's her choice if she wants to keep it or not.

But who to we say whats human and whats not ?!

In this situation there is no right or wrong ~
  • Options
    Does anyone think that as a reaction to the programme, this is going to bring protestors outside clinics? I live opposite a Marie Stopes clinic in London, and I hope there's no trouble :no:
  • Options
    We see all types of operations on TV so why not terminations ?

At the end of the day people will get pregnant and not want to bring an unwanted baby into this world. The emotional effects an unwanted baby bring can be very traumatic so thats why I am pleased that people go ahead and have terminations of unwanted pregnancies.
    Its ok saying adopt the baby but how many families are torn apart by adoption ? how many people grow up wanting to know why their mother put them up for adoption, it causes them much more pain when they are older.
    Also supposing I had 3 children, one being 6, one being 4 and one being 2, i know for a fact that I could not cope with another baby so I decide not to keep the baby but have it adopted, can you imagine what this child would think when it gets older knowing that I gave him away yet kept his Brothers/Sisters? Yes very traumatic for anyone.........Id say.

Termination needs to be thought about very carefully, im not disputing that but once a woman has decided she wants a termination then she should be supported all the way and not made to feel guilty by it !!!!!!
  • Options
    Originally posted by Adiss
    to take away a childs chance at life because you couldnt be arsed wearing a condom is really selfish.

a. it's not a child. it's a bunch of cells. if we're gonna go on about 'chances of life' then we'd all be racked with guilt every time we threw away our condom and thought about all the millions of sperm that never got a chance to make a baby. and what about the mother's chance of life?

b. most women who have abortions DID use contraception, and it failed. it happens.

c. i'd put abortion as a better option over abandoned children and neglect anyday.

and on the subject of the program, while i see where GWST is coming from, i think it's a bit much. women don't have abortions cause they think it'll be fun. they have them because they have to. showing graphic footage like that is just taking it a bit far. if they wanted to highlight the reality of abortion i think they'd do better interviewing real women who've had abortions about how it felt. cause the actual process is over in what? a few hours? but the emotions that come with it could stay with you for life.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Adiss

So Im somewhere in the middle now, I agree with abortion for rape, extreem abnormalliy but somehow to take away a childs chance at life because you couldnt be arsed wearing a condom is really selfish.

it doesnt always work that way. What about when the girl has been poorly and didnt realise that her pill could fail whilst she was taking prescribed anti-biotics?
    What about when your sterilised and you fall pregnant ?
    What about when you have the coil and it fails ?
    What if you were told you couldnt have children?
    What if the condom split ?
    What if the woman had a mental age of about 12?

All what iffs.............people get pregnant, do you really think the majority want to fall pregnant ? do you really think that the majority just think 'hey i'll have a termination'
    Come into the real world !!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    Originally posted by BeckyBoo
    ...once a woman has decided she wants a termination then she should be supported all the way and not made to feel guilty by it !!!!!!

That is True!

The woman should be supported and not be called out to be murderer for when the woman decides what to do with 'her' body.

Think it just scares people, the thought of an abortion - When we hear 'ABORTION' we all would automatically act negative towards the thought of it. It's kind of intimidating ~

Yes, It should be thought out more.. Need actual 'realistic' facts like what you pointed out - rather than having ones throwing the bible at us, by telling us what we should or shouldn't do.

Need to make people realise that having an abortion ain't that extreme ~ If it's done before a certain amount of weeks (not sure on how many) It's still just a bunch of cells, reacting against each other - You decide whether you want to stop that or not ~
  • Options
    Originally posted by kaffrin
    b. most women who have abortions DID use contraception, and it failed. it happens.

Nope....there is no way of knowing this is true!

When you go and see a doctor about an abortion they ask you about the circumstances and you are supposed to fit certain criteria (ie that having the baby would cause you or the child mental/physical harm)

Thougha doctor is very unlikely to refuse an abortion a woman is never going to be stupid enough to go and ask for one and say 'well actually doctor, I couldn't be arsed to go and get a condom and I'm shit at taking my pills so I thought I'd risk it' - nope, she's more likely to say 'it's a contraceptive failure Dr.' and so stats on how women got pregnant can only be based upon the (mis)information provided by the patient.
  • Options
    Nope....there is no way of knowing this is true!

There's no proof in knowing if the woman did not use contraceptive - That is True!

Just like there is no way in proving if the woman did use contraceptive but failed.

You know, we're just back were we started ~

All that matters, is knowing that the woman has the right to decide if she wants the abortion or not - No matter what reason she got pregnant in the first place.

The woman should not have to justify herself on how she got pregnant. It's her body ~ Her choice ~
  • Options
    No - but as the law stands she does have to Justify why she wants to have the abortion....

Some Doctors do refuse (But of course the patient can just go to another doctor)

I am pro choice.
  • Options
    No - but as the law stands she does have to Justify why she wants to have the abortion....

Some Doctors do refuse (But of course the patient can just go to another doctor)

I am pro choice.

Yes, explain why you want an abortion - Due to making sure that's what the woman really wants.

But does not have to justify herself in how she got pregnant in the first place.
  • Options
    Originally posted by BeckyBoo
    it doesnt always work that way. What about when the girl has been poorly and didnt realise that her pill could fail whilst she was taking prescribed anti-biotics?
    What about when your sterilised and you fall pregnant ?
    What about when you have the coil and it fails ?
    What if you were told you couldnt have children?
    What if the condom split ?
    What if the woman had a mental age of about 12?...
    Come into the real world !!!!!!!!!!
    Originally posted by kaffrin
    a. it's not a child. it's a bunch of cells. if we're gonna go on about 'chances of life' then we'd all be racked with guilt every time we threw away our condom and thought about all the millions of sperm that never got a chance to make a baby. and what about the mother's chance of life?

(if my spelling is bad i dont care, im tired and a lil hungover)
    Chance of life refers to the possibility of a child... a big heap of sperm on the floor will never become a child so i dont feel guilt when i dispose of a condom. But when a load of cells have moved into a further stage of development that is when (imho) the chance of a life arrises.
    The mothers chance of life was a risk of sex, if you have sex you should take on the possibility that you might create life. Men are expected to pay maintinance if a mother gives birth to a child, and that is a legal/financial risk men take.
    My stance is not that abortion is wrong only that it should not be a default option. What about the preventative step of being a lot more responcible for what your doing. Giving a child up for adoption? why is everyone so negative about it. Neil Morresy (SP?) was an orphan and he turned out fine. May couples who cant have children look to adopt.

[in closing... sorry i babble on]
    Women who abort a child are always looked upon as a victim. In the majority of cases the reason they became pregant was down to some kind of mis-judgement/preventable accident on their own (or their partners) part. Im all for a womans choice, however I think abortion is thought of as an easy way to 'get rid'.
  • Options
    Originally posted by rachie004
    I don't understand why those who are against abortion say it'd be ok in circumstances of rape, incest and abnormality

I'm not saying it's right or wrong but does the bunch of cells/baby/foetus (depending on your beleif) change in the circumstances?

Its not that process that I am against more it's over-use. Its a valid procedure for unwanted pregnancies, but those who use it will simply say that they have not aborted a child but a bunch of cells because it takes away the guilt. And nothing is learnt from this experience, but to acknoledge that you have taken away someones chance to exist in this world because you weren't on the pill and he didnt wear a condom, might make a decent impression next time you have sex to perhaps consider what your doing
  • Options
    Why should women who have an abortion feel guilty?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Blagsta
    Why should women who have an abortion feel guilty?

becuase the woman is terminating a potential life, there should be a certain degree of guilt attached to that.

Are you saying that to end any life is without guilt? (potential for a serial killer)
  • Options
    Its not life. Its potential life. Massive difference.
    No, a woman should not be made to feel guilty about having an abortion.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Blagsta
    Its not life. Its potential life. Massive difference.
    No, a woman should not be made to feel guilty about having an abortion.

Wheres the difference? I have the potential to continue my life tomorrow ... if you kill me should you feel no guilt.
  • Options
    Eh? :confused: That analogy makes no sense. You already are alive.
  • Options
    But the development of that child has already started so its now a living organism ... as in is alive ... as in has life. Ok it might not feel much, do much, say much but what about tomorrow. Just because on a sundays i choose to lie in bed not feeling much, not doing much and not saying much doesnt mean my mother can come round my house and terminate my existance.