Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Aged 16-25? Share your experience of using the discussion boards and receive a £25 voucher! Take part via text-chat, video or phone. Click here to find out more and to take part.
Options

Another reason to hate immigrants....

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru

Comments

• Options
    Eee, by gum!
  • Options
    Why is it a reason to hate immigrants? Language is a living evolving thing, not a dead static entity. We've always taken on words and phrases from other cultures. Why should it stop?
  • Options
  • Options
    Originally posted by Aspartame
    Owt and nowt are good because they're shorter, and quicker/easier to say.

owt and nowt are good :D
  • Options
    Originally posted by girl with sharp teeth
    the ;) indicated that it was tongue-in-cheek.

I'm really not half as much of a Nazi as you think I am.

I gather that you think you're being witty. But this could have been an interesting debate about language. Maybe it still could be actually, but given the preponderance of anti-immigration feeling and racist subtexts on this forum, it was a little misjudged don't you think?
  • Options
    Some of those other new ones look and sound stupid. I bet they'll just be said by annoying morons.
    Just as bad as "bling bling".

Babymother, irie and facety have been part of Jamaican speech and patois for ages.
  • Options
  • Options
    Originally posted by Blagsta
    Language is a living evolving thing, not a dead static entity. We've always taken on words and phrases from other cultures. Why should it stop?
    it stopped centuries ago with the welsh language. it never takes on new words. listen to a welsh conversation ...littered with english words. welsh doesn't grow. it doesn't stagnate ...it slowly fades away.
  • Options
    Originally posted by girl with sharp teeth
    Not really. You're the only pompous git whose actually made anything of it.

Aaaah, more abuse. Lovely to see hypocrisy is alive and well on The Site.
  • Options
  • Options
    Did I say anyone was being racist? No. You're the one creating the situation here. I was trying to steer the thread in a direction where we could debate the merits of changing use of language.
    And its OK for you to throw abuse my way, but when I do it, you feel the need to call me immature etc.
    Hypocrisy, eh? Gotta love it.
  • Options
    Coming from the North East area I saw the fun in it, Andrew is just getting taught the basics of Northern twang however he still has a lot to learn :D
    What am i waffleing about ?
    Shit, anyway Ellie werent being racist or 'owt' and I didnt see 'nowt' wrong with it :D
  • Options
    I didn't suggest she was being racist.
  • Options
    Originally posted by BeckyBoo
    Coming from the North East area I saw the fun in it, Andrew is just getting taught the basics of Northern twang however he still has a lot to learn :D
    What am i waffleing about ?
    Shit, anyway Ellie werent being racist or 'owt' and I didnt see 'nowt' wrong with it :D
    well i'll go to the foot of our stairs ...welcome back nun!
  • Options
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    welcome back nun!

Thank you, hello to you :D
  • Options
    Originally posted by Blagsta
    given the preponderance of anti-immigration feeling and racist subtexts on this forum, it was a little misjudged don't you think?

...either implies she was or we all are.
  • Options
  • Options
    Some might say English is a foreign language brought to this country by immigrants.
  • Options
    Originally posted by BlackArab
    Some might say English is a foreign language brought to this country by immigrants.
    aren't we all the descendants of imigrants ...
  • Options
    :thumb:

Got it in one.

I was refering to the Celts originally but you've made a good point there we shouldn't forget.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit
    ...either implies she was or we all are.

No it doesn't. It implies exactly what it says - there is a prepoderance of anti-immigrant feeling on the boards.
    That does not mean everyone has those feelings. Read a dictionary.
    http://dictionary.reference.com/search?q=preponderance
  • Options
    I'm sure they have.
    In all honesty, the words themselves don't sound stupid.

They will do when adopted by those who seem to think that "y'know what I mean, yeah?" must be added to the end of every sentence, though.

If people say these things in a misguided attempt to be "cool", then its stupid. But people pick up the language of those around them. I found myself using the word facety the other day, not to try and be cool but because I hear it used by the people around me in Brixton.
  • Options
    The majority of words in modern English come from foreign, not Old English roots.

source:

http://www.wordorigins.org/histeng.htm
  • Options
    JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    Bitch bitch bitch bitch bitch. Just drop it and get back to the topic would you?
  • Options
    I was trying to get an interesting discussion going, until someone had a hissyfit.
  • Options
    Originally posted by LadyJade
    Bitch bitch bitch bitch bitch. Just drop it and get back to the topic would you?

I thought the topic was about the English language and the influence of immigrants upon it.
  • Options
    Originally posted by BlackArab
    The majority of words in modern English come from foreign, not Old English roots.
    [/url]
    The majority of 'fancy' words are borrowed, but alot of the basic word stock is actually Germanic, Old English, or Old Norse in etymology. And I don't think that these words will become part of Standard English for a long time, its geographical distribution doesn't seem all that widespread, although saying that the article didn't have much on that. It does take more than a minority to use a word for it to be accepted into the standard canon of language.
  • Options
  • Options
    JadedJaded Posts: 2,682 Boards Guru
    Then start a new thread about the preponderance of anti immigration feeling on these boards and leave this one for language? (Despite the title.....)
  • Options
    Originally posted by TheKingOfGlasgow
    The majority of 'fancy' words are borrowed, but alot of the basic word stock is actually Germanic, Old English, or Old Norse in etymology. And I don't think that these words will become part of Standard English for a long time, its geographical distribution doesn't seem all that widespread, although saying that the article didn't have much on that. It does take more than a minority to use a word for it to be accepted into the standard canon of language.

Define 'fancy'? I'm assuming you mean words of Latin or French origin but I could be wrong.
    Geographical distribution is spreading even faster with the use of modern media i.e the internet, text-messaging etc. Even magazines like The Face which used to signify what was new and cool are being left behind and losing relevance to the net.