Home General Chat
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

I've just come back from watching 'The Passion of the Christ'...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
edited January 2023 in General Chat
I thought it was a great film. Not recommended for anyone who can't bear violence. Has anyone else seen it, what did you think?
Post edited by JustV on

Comments

• Options
    No, I havent seen it. I dont plan to either. I dont think I could handle the voilence though (from what ive heard).
  • Options
    I'm going to see it on Tuesday.
  • Options
    no need to see it, i was there when it happened ;)

well, no need to see it as i already know the ending... 'tis just violence to get the reaction of the god squad, and usually i like a little dark humour with my violence.
  • Options
    Originally posted by big_man_with_a_
    well, no need to see it as i already know the ending... 'tis just violence to get the reaction of the god squad, and usually i like a little dark humour with my violence.

Did you not watch Titanic either (which would have been understandable as it was shit)?

I see it as just another way for white America to have a good old whinge about the Jews.
  • Options
    Originally posted by the doc horatio
    Did you not watch Titanic either (which would have been understandable as it was shit)?

I see it as just another way for white America to have a good old whinge about the Jews.

The thing with the titanic film was it was so predictable:), if I had of directed it, I would have kept it as it was until the “iceberg” where I would have had them steering and just missing it, with rose saying to jack, pheww that was a close one. No one would have seen that coming.:D
  • Options
    watched the last 30 minutes or so of titanic... only cos i'd heard the cg was pretty good.

but if i want to watch someone get tortured i'll go to ogrish.com where it's real.
  • Options
    Originally posted by big_man_with_a_
    watched the last 30 minutes or so of titanic... only cos i'd heard the cg was pretty good.

but if i want to watch someone get tortured i'll go to ogrish.com where it's real.

nice!!::eek2:
  • Options
    Originally posted by Anti-Christ
    The thing with the titanic film was it was so predictable:), if I had of directed it, I would have kept it as it was until the “iceberg” where I would have had them steering and just missing it, with rose saying to jack, pheww that was a close one. No one would have seen that coming.:D

if they'd have done that they would have made everyone on the ship American, and it would have set sail from San Fransisco to New York or summat :)
  • Options
    Re: I've just come back from watching 'The Passion of the Christ'...
    Originally posted by Capacity
    I thought it was a great film. Not recommended for anyone who can't bear violence. Has anyone else seen it, what did you think?

I want to see it, but havent yet.

I dont mind "violence", but i cant stand watching "suffering" so im not sure how i'll deal with it. I read its pretty detached from Jesus' feelings and thoughts, so maybe it will be okay.

whatcha think...?
  • Options
    Saw this last night and I have to say when I came out of the cinema I didn't feel particularly strongly about it but all day today it's made me think about the inhumanity of mankind. I enjoyed one particular scene towards the end that I won't reveal now ;)

Also, just before the film began, there was an announcement that there was a paramedic at the doors incase anyone dropped dead during the film :eek2:
  • Options
    Originally posted by Tim the Enchanter

Also, just before the film began, there was an announcement that there was a paramedic at the doors incase anyone dropped dead during the film :eek2:

No way :lol::lol: - panicky english!
  • Options
    Sounds good then, I'm getting to it on Tuesday i think.
  • Options
    Is there anything in this movie that might embaress you if you were watching it with your parents?

My mum and Aunt may want to go see it at the cinema, so was considering taking them.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Tim the Enchanter

Well someone in the US did die of a heart attack whilst watching the film.
  • Options
    Re: Re: I've just come back from watching 'The Passion of the Christ'...
    Originally posted by draven
    I want to see it, but havent yet.

I dont mind "violence", but i cant stand watching "suffering" so im not sure how i'll deal with it. I read its pretty detached from Jesus' feelings and thoughts, so maybe it will be okay.

whatcha think...?

Maybe not. The film is based on suffering and torture through most of the duration. You could just turn away, but you'd be missing it. Also, the 'suffering' just increases in intensity as the film goes on.

Posted by Tim

I enjoyed one particular scene towards the end that I won't reveal now

Go on...
    Posted by Diamond

Is there anything in this movie that might embaress you if you were watching it with your parents?

Nothing I can think of.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Rocks
    Well someone in the US did die of a heart attack whilst watching the film.

Ahh bollocks, I probably should have anticipated that...

I don't understand why though, if it wasn't Jesus being given a right royal flogging then there would be nearly as much hype about the violence. I've seen a lot worse in mainstream cinema.
  • Options
    Apparently a couple in the US saw the film, then came out, argued about the existence of God, and stabbed each other to death. I don't know if that's strictly true, but if so, it could only have happened in America.
  • Options
    i went to see this film on friday night with a group of about 30 from my church.
    as a Christian i felt i had to see it even though i had heard it was very violent.
    i have to say it completely broke me. i cried from start to finish, and i cant even describe in words the impact it has had on me spiritually.
    yes it was a truly horrifically violent film, but even at that it still doesnt portray, in my opinion, what Christ went through on the cross for us humans. yes it was hard to watch, but the violence wasnt the point of it for me.
    i wouldnt say i "enjoyed" this film, as only someone who likes to watch violence would trulY "enjoy" this film.
    all christian views aside, technically, visually, directorally (is that a word?) its an amazing piece of film-making and there are some scenes (not talking about scenes of violence) which are soo utterly touching and just force you to think.
    i have to say that as a Christian it has had an amazing impact on me, but it is a must see for anyone, whether a believer or not. the reason for all the violence is to show people what Jesus had to go through to show God's love for the world. but violence aside, there flashback scenes to Jesus's teaching, in which there are many other messages. without giving too much away for those who havent seen it, the last scene is the most important in the whole story.
  • Options
    scarlettcloud summed it up really.

The bit at the end is what Christians base their whole religion on, the resurrection.

It did seem to have a wierd kind of feel to it throughout the whole film, i wonder what Mel Gibson is trying to do releasing this.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Shogun
    i wonder what Mel Gibson is trying to do releasing this.

because he is a religious man and he wanted to make a film about the greatest figure in his religion.

but if i was a jew i'd say "because he's an anti-semite nazi hellbent on creating another holocaust"
  • Options
    Originally posted by turlough

but if i was a jew i'd say "because he's an anti-semite nazi hellbent on creating another holocaust"
    Straight to the point - you're a cunt.
    An ignorant one at that.
  • Options
    why are you being so politically correct for, it was a joke for fuck sakes and it has been well documented that Jews are angry at that film
  • Options
    why are you being so politically correct for, it was a joke for fuck sakes and it has been well documented that Jews are angry at that film

Because that frankly, you and the shit you keep writing on these boards, annoy the hell out of me.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Jacqueline the Ripper
    Because that frankly, you and the shit you keep writing on these boards, annoy the hell out of me.

i don't give a FUCK what you think of me because frankly, what you say doesn't mean shit on an internet site, its just words when you think about it, you don't know me, you don't know my life and i don't know yours so please shut up.
  • Options
    i don't give a FUCK what you think of me because frankly, what you say doesn't mean shit on an internet site, its just words when you think about it, you don't know me, you don't know my life and i don't know yours so please shut up.
    Get a grip. I just told you that you're a cunt - no one made any assumptions.
  • Options
    What do bees do with their hunny? They cell it.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Jacqueline the Ripper
    Get a grip. I just told you that you're a cunt - no one made any assumptions.

so if i called you a silly slut on the basis of a couple of posts thats ok, you called me a **** becasue i made an apparent racist joke, what my point is is that you don't know me as an individual, i've never talked to you in my life, probably never will, you can't call someone a **** because of words they write on an internet site, you can say that was ****ish off you to say that but i'm not a ****.
  • Options
    Selfishness is taking over my thread. You two clearly want each others bodies, give in to temptation.
  • Options
    Well i haven't seen the film yet and i'm not sure that I will. I am jewish but regardless of that I'm not sure i want to see a film that is so violent as i've heard. I also read some reviews of it that said as a film it's not very good due to some of the storytelling. The only thing I don't understand is if Jesus died to build the bridge between God and man as christians believe that he did, why would having someone in the angry mob saying "let his blood be on our hands" back this up? Have I got it completely wrong but isn't the point of it that Jesus wants to die and whatever happened he would have died to save the souls of everyone?

I think that also some of the criticism of anti-semitism raised at this film is because mel gibson's father is a holocaust denier and mel has said in the past that he agrees with his father's views(without being specific about this)

All the accusations of anti-semitism must have knocked millions and millions off the publicity budget.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Agrofrog
    Well i haven't seen the film yet and i'm not sure that I will. I am jewish but regardless of that I'm not sure i want to see a film that is so violent as i've heard. I also read some reviews of it that said as a film it's not very good due to some of the storytelling. The only thing I don't understand is if Jesus died to build the bridge between God and man as christians believe that he did, why would having someone in the angry mob saying "let his blood be on our hands" back this up? Have I got it completely wrong but isn't the point of it that Jesus wants to die and whatever happened he would have died to save the souls of everyone?

I think that also some of the criticism of anti-semitism raised at this film is because mel gibson's father is a holocaust denier and mel has said in the past that he agrees with his father's views(without being specific about this)

All the accusations of anti-semitism must have knocked millions and millions off the publicity budget.

Jesus died because God predestined it.
    there is a lot of controversey about this film and who is "to blame" for Jesus's death. to be really honest, i dont know much about the whole politics of the crucifixion, as a Christian i should but i have only been a Christian for a year and a half and im still learning alot.
    but is not the Bible that Jews have a problem with rather than the film specifically? well i suppose the film is based on the Bible so obviously they would have a problem with the film too.
    i have not heard that about mel agreeing with his father about the holocaust denial. maybe he did say this, although you say in the past? mel gibson, although from a strong roman catholic baackground, is a born again Christian, so maybe his view of this has changed since becoming a Christian.
    you could say, that we are all "to blame for Jesus death, jews, muslim, athiests, christians, cos we are all humans! it was because of the fall of mankind into sin that Jesus came to die! But God predestined that, he had it planned from the very beginning of time. so really i suppose you could say it was Gods "fault" altho really, its no ones "fault" because God wanted it to happen and Jesus said "no one takes my life from me i willingly lay it down"