Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Is it any wonder

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
.............why we have high rates of violence. Take a look Here .
This is a case where a lawyer was attacked and now will probs never work again, the offender got 2 1/2 yrs.
Please can someone tell me how she can get off with just that ?
We all know with good behaviour how long she will get. So what is your opinion ?

Comments

• Options
    Re: Is it any wonder
    Originally posted by Lucky_Day
    This is a case where a lawyer was attacked and now will probs never work again, the offender got 2 1/2 yrs.
    We all know with good behaviour how long she will get. So what is your opinion ?
    i dny know the stry lucky but ...offences of violencd should be given top senmtnececs as far as i'm concerned ...expt those against burgls an perpertratos odf ...i'll get it grhtr in a mo ...patence ...
  • Options
    Re: Is it any wonder

what a bloody cow. "Tony Davis, defending, told the court how Young had been drinking heavily on the night of the attack to overcome the pain of a family bereavement." - so next time one of my family members kicks the bucket I'm 'ok' (or more ok) to attack people.
  • Options
    You can get off using all sorts of excuses these days. It's worrying. I mean, waiving a parking ticket because you're going to a funeral and forgot to pay and display is one thing, but if you attack someone bereavement doesn't come into it, in my opinion. (Obviously if the person you attack is completely unconnected with said bereavement).
  • Options
    Sometimes the acts of our so called judicial system disgust me.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    That's crazy! Drunk or not, you don't do something like this to a person you haven't met before, even if that person is mocking you or anything. That woman clearly isn't right in the head if she turns to violence that easily.
    If she knew she had such a tendency, she simply shouldn't drink. And 2.5 years is too little for someone who did this, no matter what the reason (self-defence excluded).
  • Options
    I've had people start on me in town for no reason before, maybe the soliciter looked like an easy target (however I'm a rocker, so some people are prejudice against us where I live), like she looked nervous and the girl picked up on that.

My brother, little shrimpy lookin' guy (Mr Roll will back me up, he ain't a big lad) was apparently waiting in a taxi office with his puppy and some bloke threatened to kick his head in and hurt his dog. Now there's no way in hell that my brother would provoke a fight. He ain't the fighting type, y'know?

It just puzzles me some time why people do that, pick a fight with somebody they know they can hurt easier. Used to get it in local rock nights too. Lads would go in and look for gay younguns to target. Most gay lads I know aren't really very butch and built for fighting.
  • Options
    Indrid ColdIndrid Cold Posts: 16,688 Skive's The Limit
    Originally posted by MoonRat
    It just puzzles me some time why people do that, pick a fight with somebody they know they can hurt easier. Used to get it in local rock nights too. Lads would go in and look for gay younguns to target. Most gay lads I know aren't really very butch and built for fighting.

For males who do this, you could often blame the mix of testosterone with the usually awful way they've been brought up by their parents. But for females, there must be something much worse.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Zalbor
    For males who do this, you could often blame the mix of testosterone with the usually awful way they've been brought up by their parents. But for females, there must be something much worse.

Why must there- women are just as capable of being angry as men.

As for the case, if the facts are as spelt out in the article then that penalty is too low, and it is about time that the Attorney General is granted power to appeal sentencing and acquittals- something that I have believed in for quite some time. Just as defendants can appeal, prosecutors should be allowed to appeal tariffs and even acquittals if there has been a mistake of law.

But, as always, the mental state of the defendant should be taken into account when dealing with sentencing. The article doesn't say how much remorse she feels, the article doesn't state what the family bereavement was; those facts obviously don't fit into the whole tone of the article, which is yet again all about attacking the judicial system that we have. Like it or not, circumstances have to be taken into account, and those circumstances are not clear in the article.

One thing that I tire of very quickly is people ripping the judicial system to shreds for apparently "disgusting" decisions when they do not know the facts of the case. And in ALL news articles the facts are not made clear, unless they suit the agenda of the journalist.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit
    Why must there- women are just as capable of being angry as men.

As for the case, if the facts are as spelt out in the article then that penalty is too low, and it is about time that the Attorney General is granted power to appeal sentencing and acquittals- something that I have believed in for quite some time. Just as defendants can appeal, prosecutors should be allowed to appeal tariffs and even acquittals if there has been a mistake of law.

But, as always, the mental state of the defendant should be taken into account when dealing with sentencing. The article doesn't say how much remorse she feels, the article doesn't state what the family bereavement was; those facts obviously don't fit into the whole tone of the article, which is yet again all about attacking the judicial system that we have. Like it or not, circumstances have to be taken into account, and those circumstances are not clear in the article.

One thing that I tire of very quickly is people ripping the judicial system to shreds for apparently "disgusting" decisions when they do not know the facts of the case. And in ALL news articles the facts are not made clear, unless they suit the agenda of the journalist.

still though.. this girl has ruined someones life through a violent act that she undertook of her own free will.
  • Options
    Originally posted by TheShyBoyInTheCorner
    still though.. this girl has ruined someones life through a violent act that she undertook of her own free will.

Define free will.

Otherwise beaten wives who snap and kill their husbands can be said to have "ruined someones life through a violent act of her own free will" and should have the book thrown at her accordingly.

I'm not saying her cicumstances justified, or even excused, what she did, but the point is that, unless you sat in court to listen to all the evidence, then you do not know what those circumstances are.
  • Options

What is clear or I beleive to be clear is the fact that alcohol was the main characteristic of this case. Forget about the mental state because i personally feel this would not have been an issue, the issue is she was pissed and lost it.
    Alcohol yet again the cause of violence and using her bereavement is no excuse.
  • Options
    What is clear or I beleive to be clear is the fact that alcohol was the main characteristic of this case. Forget about the mental state because i personally feel this would not have been an issue, the issue is she was pissed and lost it.
    Alcohol yet again the cause of violence and using her bereavement is no excuse.

The fact of the matter is alcohol education isn't really working. People are just too irresponsible! Not saying that I'm a beacon of light or anything like that; just that alcohol is actually a problem. It's 'fun' to get pissed.

Alcohol is becoming more of a problem in the UK.
  • Options
    Originally posted by TheShyBoyInTheCorner
    The fact of the matter is alcohol education isn't really working. People are just too irresponsible! Not saying that I'm a beacon of light or anything like that; just that alcohol is actually a problem. It's 'fun' to get pissed.

The problem is not alcohol, the problem is social attitudes to it.

In continental Europe alcohol is treated differently, and the alcohol-fuelled violence is not even slightly as bigf a problem as it is here. In Europe children are encouraged to drink young, it's seen as something to accompany a meal and it's seen as something to enjoy in moderation; watered-down wine for young children is common on a lot of dinner tables, especially in France, Spain and Italy.

What we have over here is bhinge-drinking- the attitude is thast you must get as much down you as you can before the pubs shut, and when the pubs shut everyone is kicked out at the same time. People drink too much because they can't just have a few at a leisurely pace, they have to cram them in before last orders. Especially at 10.30 on a Saturday night.

Social attitudes need to change, but I don't think that they will. Just as sex is, alcohol is seen as "adult" aqnd something big people doo- that's why kids get pissed as soon as they can. I grew up with alcohol- a sip of beer or wine, then a bit more, and I'd like tot hink that I'm a sensible drinker because of it- I stop when I feel tipsy.

But all this is another debate:p
  • Options
    The problem is not alcohol, the problem is social attitudes to it.

In continental Europe alcohol is treated differently, and the alcohol-fuelled violence is not even slightly as bigf a problem as it is here. In Europe children are encouraged to drink young, it's seen as something to accompany a meal and it's seen as something to enjoy in moderation; watered-down wine for young children is common on a lot of dinner tables, especially in France, Spain and Italy.

What we have over here is bhinge-drinking- the attitude is thast you must get as much down you as you can before the pubs shut, and when the pubs shut everyone is kicked out at the same time. People drink too much because they can't just have a few at a leisurely pace, they have to cram them in before last orders. Especially at 10.30 on a Saturday night.

Social attitudes need to change, but I don't think that they will. Just as sex is, alcohol is seen as "adult" aqnd something big people doo- that's why kids get pissed as soon as they can. I grew up with alcohol- a sip of beer or wine, then a bit more, and I'd like tot hink that I'm a sensible drinker because of it- I stop when I feel tipsy.

But all this is another debate:p
    hence my thread in anything goes which unfortunately wasn't taken seriously at all ...