Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

People in the Mediterranean stay younger longer because......

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
They eat more Olive oil apparently!

I dunno - Where I grew up in Ireland the people there are extremely active because they have to be. Things are harder there, it's a rural farming area and they literally work in the fields all their lives and then die at the age of 95 while getting the cows in!

So isn't it likely that in places like Ireland, Spain, italy etc the elderly don't have the same benefits as us pampered brits and so they work harder, eat more basic food and keep going as long as they can?

Comments

• Options
    Re: People in the Mediterranean stay younger longer because......
    Originally posted by byny

I dunno - Where I grew up in Ireland the people there are extremely active because they have to be. Things are harder there, it's a rural farming area and they literally work in the fields all their lives and then die at the age of 95 while getting the cows in!

So isn't it likely that in places like Ireland, Spain, italy etc the elderly don't have the same benefits as us pampered brits and so they work harder, eat more basic food and keep going as long as they can?
    true ...same here in wales. they just keep on going. it seems to be a similar story in most rural areas i think.
    fresh air ...walking ...digging ...humping and carrying ...what we were designed to do i believe.
    you can't expect to live a long healthy life sat on your arse all day in an office ...stuffing your face to excess. going to the gym and sweating for pleasure seems to bbe a killer as well. as does jogging.
  • Options
    I think it's a combination of things... Even in big cities in the Med with the same unhealthy office jobs, people tend to live considerably longer than their counterparts here.

The diet certainly has a lot to do with it. It's generally healthier and I know it's a bit of a cliche but olive oil helps. And so do the fresh fruit and salads and the different approach to drinking they have down there.

I think also in general people lead more outdoor lives in the Med than in here, and even if they don't do any sport they're bound to get more exercise and fresh air. That's very good news for the heart.
  • Options
    It probably is diet.

Countries like Italy are first world too remember! So they would have essentially the same stresses as British people (or Northern Europeans in general) would possess.
  • Options
    You've got to balance working hard with enjoying lifes simple pleasures.I enjoy walking along a river on a sunny day with a can of beer in my hand far more than any nightclub.
  • Options
    I don't have all the facts to hand, but my take on this is incidents of heart disease are lower, but they never tell you the figures on skin cancer and liver disease.

It mostly comes down to lifestyle, diet and exercise/activity (although genetics does play a part).

You hear people say "my (insert uncle/granddad/whatever) smoked, ate lard, put cream onhis rice pudding and he lived till he was 160" well 98 say.

these people kind of forget that their relative probably walked everywhere, didn't have a microwave (so ate better) and had an active job (not sat a computer).
  • Options
    Why is olive oil so damn expensive in this place?

(rethoric question)

Nearly five quid for a few slices of jamón serrano! Piss off!
  • Options
    Re: People in the Mediterranean stay younger longer because......
    Originally posted by byny

never thought of it that way ,its a fair point - but maybe we die happier..... (*coughs* fatter *cough*)
  • Options
    it's the chilled out ness. you lot have the longest working hours, very few holidays, bla bla bla, i don't blame people in england for drinking their lives away
  • Options
    They live longer because they don't eat fatty foods, unlike over here. My dad was in a chip shop in Paisley and some guy came in and ordered a meat pie- straight into the deep fat fryer it went. :yuck:

Lean meat and little fat = healthy humans. It would be the same in South-East Asia if they didn't have dictators to keep the life expectancy down. Low fat and a good stiff drink- gin never did the Queen Mum any harm :lol: