Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

The stupidity of driving laws

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Please read this storyBBC News - Teenager escapes fine by sitting quietly

and consider this.

My freind has just lost his license. He now has to retake his theory and practical test and apply for a new provisional. Because he had been driving for a year and nine months (if you get six or more points on your license before you have been driving for 2 years you lose it and have to do it all again.

And this guy had not license, tax, mot AND was caught with block. :eek: :crazyeyes :confused: OK nothing too serious there but for fucks sake at least punish the guy for the laws he has blatantly flouted!

Comments

• Options
    Yeah - it's unfair. the guy in the news report should have been dealt with the same as your friend..they should both lose their licence!

I have my test tomorrow!!
  • Options
    well i would question that even.

My friend ran a red light by 1.5 seconds and was clocked at 50mph in a 40mph zone.

Imagine if these rules were applied to eveyone equally, there'd be no-one on the roads!

:chin: might help solve the congestion problem:D
  • Options
  • Options
    yeah i think i agree, maybe i should refine my point.

He was desparately unlucky, but so might have been the kid that ran out in front of him i accept.

What is so stupid is the amount of times i have seen motoring offenders with no tax, mot, license, insurance get off with £100-400 fines! ridiculous behaviour.

The actual application of motoring law is inconsistent at best.
  • Options
    That's why I love British law because even if I were to kill a innocent pedestrian in a hit & run incident. I know that I may loose my license but would only get a hefty fine.

Sickening as the fact may be but I wouldn't change it for the world unless it was somebody I knew.

.:Crispy:.
  • Options
    The amount of fines for motoring offences are ridiculously low (despite the cries of certain tabloids). I can't remember the exact figures but someone explained to me that it is actually cheaper not to bother with car insurance and pay the fine if you are caught than to be legal and buy insurance.

How stupid is that?

Perhaps they should do what they do in Finland and link fines to income- so no matter how rich, the offender thinks twice before doing it again. Recently a driver there
    was fined £116,000 for a simple speeding ticket. :eek: :D
  • Options
    Originally posted by Aladdin

was fined £116,000 for a simple speeding ticket. :eek: :D
    Why is that a good thing?
  • Options
    Acts as a deterrent. There are too many drivers in this country Jacqs who seem to think they are above the driving laws.
  • Options
    It's like that in every country. But how is it fair to take away a fortune of his money?
  • Options
    I may not go to extremes for first time offenders but people need to be hit heavier in the pocket. I personally have paid thousands in loss of earnings and medical bills following someone's bad driving habits, in fact I'm lucky to be alive, so I have little sympathy with them.
  • Options
    Originally posted by BlackArab
    I may not go to extremes for first time offenders but people need to be hit heavier in the pocket. I personally have paid thousands in loss of earnings and medical bills following someone's bad driving habits, in fact I'm lucky to be alive, so I have little sympathy with them.

Don't get me wrong. They deserve to be hit back hard. But I can't see the joy over the fact that people with more money get charged more.
    It's immature and only implies a "if I don't have the money, then I'd be happy to see someone else get it taken away from them" mentality, when adding the smileys and whatnot.
  • Options
    Hitting people in the pocket does not always work, also lets assume someone famous gets a fine, the fine they receive is just pocket money to them so its no deterrent in my opinion.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Martin_Bashir
    He was desparately unlucky,

How was he unlucky? Is he blind? Could he not see the road signs he learned for his theory test. Was he not aware of red lights during his Test? I would say he's a bit stupid but not unlucky!
  • Options
    Originally posted by brny
    How was he unlucky? Is he blind? Could he not see the road signs he learned for his theory test. Was he not aware of red lights during his Test? I would say he's a bit stupid but not unlucky!

bit harsh, you assume that he willfully did this.

when ur out driving (if ur out) how many times have you found yourself creeping over the limit (he was caught on a 1/2 mile stretch which was downhill.

Now i agree that he should have been paying attention at all times and that if he was caught he should face the consequences like everyone else BUT those are elemetery mistakes. While it does not mitigate them it is a common mistake all motorists at sometime make.

Maybe you should consider the whole set of circumstances before using words like 'stupid', instead of saying
    'well he should have had his eyes on the road'
  • Options
    Originally posted by Martin_Bashir
    bit harsh, you assume that he willfully did this.

when ur out driving (if ur out) how many times have you found yourself creeping over the limit (he was caught on a 1/2 mile stretch which was downhill.

Now i agree that he should have been paying attention at all times and that if he was caught he should face the consequences like everyone else BUT those are elemetery mistakes. While it does not mitigate them it is a common mistake all motorists at sometime make.

Maybe you should consider the whole set of circumstances before using words like 'stupid', instead of saying
    'well he should have had his eyes on the road'

Yeah - today - on my driving lesson (Last but one before my test tomorrow) I went over the speed limit, slightly - by a few miles.but the difference between 40 and 50 mph is a lot really!

What I was trying to say is that when you take your test and sit the theory test are you not kind of signing up to a contract that says 'I know the rules and I have to accept the consequences if I break them' ?
  • Options
    not disputing that, but you'd be surprised.

i dont know if u know southampton but we have a sainsburys and behind theres a dual carriageway thats 40mph.

If you didnt know better you'd swear it was national speed limit, but then again thats what we've got signs for:D

generally i think though what is significant about my comparison ( i should have stated this waaaay earlier!):rolleyes: is that such examples could be seen as motivating (particuarly those who dont have much money) to just buy a car and drive!

that guy in the story is just one example, when im reading the local Echo at work theres always some guy who's just been fined some silly amount for some ridiculous motoring offence, i dunno maybe theres just something in the water down here:confused: (no not Jaws:D )

how did u do on your test? (hope u passed):confused:;)
  • Options
    Test is tomorrow! I hope I pass too :eek:
  • Options
    That penalty is ridiculously lenient.
    People who drive without insurance, MOT or tax should face prison as a meaningful deterrent, especially as these are the people who rarely pay their fines.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Jacqueline the Ripper
    Don't get me wrong. They deserve to be hit back hard. But I can't see the joy over the fact that people with more money get charged more.
    It's immature and only implies a "if I don't have the money, then I'd be happy to see someone else get it taken away from them" mentality, when adding the smileys and whatnot.
    You got it all wrong Jacqs. It's not a question of wanting rich people to be departed from their money. Is a question of ensuring fines act as a deterrent.

For you and me and most others being fined £80 or £150 is a pain in the arse, and though it won't bankrupt us you sure as hell try to avoid getting fined.

But for a bloke that is worth hundreds of millions of Pounds £80 feels like 5p to you and me. If you liked speeding and the law in your country imposed fines of 5p, would you care?

Exactly.

The £120,000 is not going to bankrupt that bloke. But it is going to make it feel like £80 to you and me. That is a spot-on idea and it should be implemented worldwide. I don't think anyone could claim it to be unfair.

And yes, I am delighted that for once the super-rich can feel the wrath of the law like the rest of us mortals. Isn't justice supposed to be blind? I've seen too many cases of rap stars, footballers or other celebrities parking on double yellow lines even as they attended Court and laughing at the £60 fine they got for it. Well, let's make it £60,000 and see if they still laugh.
  • Options

It works out to about 1.7% of the income he earned in one year which makes it about average for a fine (in the UK). Do you think he should be liable for a percentage less than everyone else?

Its no different than tax, as for the joy/smilies thing, I'll leave that for you and Aladdin to discuss.
  • Options

It makes sense. If the punishment for a crime is a fine and the aim of this fine is to act as a deterrant and a punishment then a fixed level fine has virtually no deterrant or punishment effect for the minority of very rich people for whom an ordinary fine a tiny amount of money......
  • Options
    Just seen that Al made the exact same point, should read all of threads before replying!

What do people think to the idea that the punishment for any less than totally minot driving offence should be a permanent life long ban on driving?
  • Options
    A permanent driving ban is an extremely serious punishment and should only be reserved for extemely serious offences.
  • Options
    It's immature and only implies a "if I don't have the money, then I'd be happy to see someone else get it taken away from them" mentality

I don't think it does.

The problem with fixed penalty notices is that they unfairly poenalise the poor- if you earn £100 a week, £60 is a LOT of money, but if you earn £100,000 a week it's the equivalent of a Mars Bar. The law should apply fairly to all, and fixed penalty notices do not.
  • Options
    The rules are simple- if you get six penalty points in your first two years, you lose your license. Your friend shouldn't be running red lights and going at 20% over the speed limit, he has no-one else to blame but himself. I haven't got any penalty points yet (*touches wood*) so meh.

What this case shows more than anything is that magistrates are outdated, outmoded and not in the real world. Generally maigstrates are those who can afford to give up their time- i.e. elderly people- so I've thought for a long time that magistrates should become professional, meaning that they can attract a wider scope of person for the job.