Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Suspended for taking an extra portion of soup

This consultant neurosurgeon in Niottingham has been suspended on full pay for taking a portion of soup and croutons and not paying for it.

Story.

Just how stupid is this? This guy is earning a lot of money, so they suspend him on full pay for nicking, ooh, £2 of soup. Wouldn't it just be easier to make him pay it back and fine him £20 or something, and grow up and move on?

It's no wonder the NHS is decrepid if trusts are wasting huge sums of money on petty crap like this. The managers involved should be dismissed for wasting taxpayers' money.
Beep boop. I'm a bot.

Comments

• Options
    Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
    One words sums this case up for me PATHETIC.
  • Options
    He was stupid for nicking the bowl of soup but suspending him is pure fuckin madness they could of made him pay then put him up for a disclipinary.

It makes me wonder if his pissed someone off whos above him and so their using this as a excuse to try and get rid of him so to speak.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Digital-Emotion
    It makes me wonder if his pissed someone off whos above him and so their using this as a excuse to try and get rid of him so to speak.

I was thinking that, but the managers have no excuse for wasting MY MONEY for a petty personal vendetta, and they should be dismissed.

I mean, hell- a slap on the wrist would be too hefty a punishment. Why not just make him pay for the bloody soup and leave it at that?
  • Options
    JsTJsT Posts: 18,268 Skive's The Limit
    No doubt that this will affect the patients at the end of the day, as another missing member of staff increases waiting lists.
  • Options
    Originally posted by JsT
    No doubt that this will affect the patients at the end of the day, as another missing member of staff increases waiting lists.

Exactly, the people that are suffering the most is the patients.

All this whole stupid affair has achieved is giving the NHS bad press again.
  • Options
  • Options
    idiots.

i'm sure if they'd said 'excuse me, are you going to pay for that?' at the time, he would have. he comes across as a reasonable kind of guy.

and what does the NHS need more of at the moment, brain surgeons or soup? :chin:
  • Options
    Originally posted by Aspartame
    I was going to post this thread, but forgot. :o

me too. he says he went back and grabbed a handful of croutons ...put him in chains i say and transport him to australia for stealing crumbs.
    it realy does take the the fucking proverbial biscuit this one.
    operations cancelled ...cos of a problem in the canteen!
    who ever made the decision to suspnd this guy should get six months.
  • Options
    And I'm sure that this is the only thing which he has ever done wrong too :rolleyes:

I would hazard a guess that this is just a straw that broke the arrogance, based on personal experiences. Worth noting that the Trust has made no allegations and it may not have been the theft which led to the suspension, but his reaction when challenged.

Not that I'm suggesting that doctors can be arrogant, aggressive, rude, offensive people. Especially when they aren't getting their way.

I want more information before I pass real judgment, but I would question if a manager is going to suspend someone for just taking croutons...
  • Options
    That's such a pile of wank. Harrold Shippman was killing people for years and no one suspended him. I bet he stole shitloads of croutons in his life too.....

Nomi
    XxxXxxX
  • Options
    Originally posted by Nomi
    That's such a pile of wank. Harrold Shippman was killing people for years and no one suspended him. I bet he stole shitloads of croutons in his life too.....

Nomi
    XxxXxxX

Shippman wasn't caught.
  • Options
    If there was some disaggreement over the allegation would it not have been better to give the surgeon a writen warning suggesting to him that in future he should pay for soup?

I can see your point MoK, my sister is a nurse and her comments back up yours about how some doctors can be twats of the highest order. However, given the level of inteligence and skill that is needed to be a brain surgeon, is it surprising if he is somewhat arrogant? I think not.
  • Options
    Of course doctors and surgeons are arrogant bastards- it's a given fact.

No doubt there will be otehr things that come out in the wash, but it would just be like many managers to do this out of spite. No offence to anyone on these boards:p
  • Options
    If he wasn't caught, how did he go to prison?

My auntie used to go to him, but she didn't die (thankfully)

Nomi
    XxxXxxX
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit
    No doubt there will be otehr things that come out in the wash, but it would just be like many managers to do this out of spite.

No argument from me on that point. Sometimes, if you have someone who is a trouble maker in other areas, then you will take any excuse to remove them.

I know of a doctor who was sacked from breaking a "non smoking on the grounds" rule.

No offence to anyone on these boards:p

None taken. ;)
  • Options

Nomi
    XxxXxxX

Doubt he did, but you are comparing apples and oranges here.

The management of GPs is completely different to the management of consultants.

GPs are independant practioners, self-employed if you like. The new GMS contract is designed to rectify that, giving more management input into GPs surgeries including clinical governance.

Oh, and when it did come to light what Shipman was doing, he was arrested.
  • Options
    Someone said he wasn't caught, then I got confuzzled about how he was in prison if he didn't get caught.

Was I comparing stuff? Aaah I'm confuzzled....

Nomi *brain is the size of a pea, in case you hadn't already realised*
    XxxXxxX
  • Options
    Someone said he wasn't caught, then I got confuzzled about how he was in prison if he didn't get caught.

I think they meant that he didn't get caught until he had killed hundreds. Obviously if someone had realised what he was doing when he killed the first person, then it would have stopped right there and then.

The NHS doesn't encourage doctors to give patients lethal injects. No matter how bad waiting lists get...
    Was I comparing stuff? Aaah I'm confuzzled....

Yes, the person suspended was a consultant, Shipman is a GP. DIfferent areas of the profession, with different management.
    Nomi *brain is the size of a pea, in case you hadn't already realised*
    XxxXxxX

Not sure about the size of your brain, but you cannot be expected to know precisely how the NHS works. Those of us in it sopmetimes get surprised...
  • Options
    The Consultant in question returns to work on Friday, apparently.

I'm off to a national conference later, am planning to track down Nottingham to find out what *really* happened...
  • Options
    Originally posted by Man Of Kent
    I'm off to a national conference later, am planning to track down Nottingham to find out what *really* happened...

*clang*
  • Options
    yeah.. good idea suspending him.. the soups going to save sooooooooooo many lifes..

and they wonder why no one want's to work for the NHS

It's just 100% petty:rolleyes:
  • Options
    He's back at the Hospital now. They realised they were being stupid.
  • Options
    Originally posted by RiSe & ShIne
    He's back at the Hospital now. They realised they were being stupid.

on one condition...... he brings his own pack lunch :lol:
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit
    Of course doctors and surgeons are arrogant bastards- it's a given fact.

oh please, thats not a fact, thats your opinion.
  • Options
    Originally posted by hobbs

Purely an issue of semantics.

Ask MoK- he works with 'em.
  • Options
    Semantics? Don't think so. It's just not true.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Hellfire
    yeah.. good idea suspending him.. the soups going to save sooooooooooo many lifes..

and they wonder why no one want's to work for the NHS

It's just 100% petty:rolleyes:

Do you know what really happened then?

If not, how do you know it was petty...?

If, for example, the man in question was asked to pay for his meal but refused, was pressued and refused again - this time being insulting and agressive - would you say suspending him was petty. Or should canteen workers face agression, just because someone is a doctor?
  • Options
    Originally posted by hobbs

If enough people hold that opinion, does it become fact?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Man Of Kent
    Do you know what really happened then?

If not, how do you know it was petty...?

If, for example, the man in question was asked to pay for his meal but refused, was pressued and refused again - this time being insulting and agressive - would you say suspending him was petty. Or should canteen workers face agression, just because someone is a doctor?
    surely it would have made more sense to ban him from the friggin canteen then.
  • Options
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    surely it would have made more sense to ban him from the friggin canteen then.

Not really, we wouldn't tolerate such behaviour from patients and their families, why should we tolerate it from staff?

I know of at least two consultants who have been sacked for such behaviour.