Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Winter crisis, what winter crisis?

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
So, the NHS performed better this year than ever before, according to this story.

Do you think it is true? Is this proof that the NHS is improving?

Comments

• Options
    Re: Winter crisis, what winter crisis?
    Originally posted by Man Of Kent
    So, the NHS performed better this year than ever before, according to this story.

Do you think it is true? Is this proof that the NHS is improving?
    i'm convinced it's improving in north wales. it will never be perfect but it is definately on the up.
  • Options
    Re: Re: Winter crisis, what winter crisis?
    Originally posted by morrocan roll
    i'm convinced it's improving in north wales. it will never be perfect but it is definately on the up.

Not in the mental health sector it ain't... well not what I'm seein'.
  • Options
    Well we got major outbreak of Norwalk in the local hospitals, my mate who's a nurse works stupidly long hours which aren't safe (IMO) and whats that new bug called MRSA? don't like the sound of that at all.

Apart from that I think its fine
  • Options
    Originally posted by BlackArab
    and whats that new bug called MRSA? don't like the sound of that at all.

That's not necissarily due to poor hygience (though it spreads it) it's because of the lack of differing types of antiobiotics some infections have found a way to become immune to all antibiotics; making people who get simple things like chest infections at risk of dying. Of course; this only happens if you're infected with MRSA. It's a continuing battle against viruses and bacteria for the NHS.

I can't really say whether it's improved or not but I will say there is a slight bit of corruption; if you know the right people you can skip the queues!
  • Options
    Well we got major outbreak of Norwalk in the local hospitals, my mate who's a nurse works stupidly long hours which aren't safe (IMO) and whats that new bug called MRSA? don't like the sound of that at all.

Apart from that I think its fine

MRSA has been around for years. Some of the "increase" in the number of infections can be realted to the fact that we look for it now, and detection methods are much, much better.

Both of those problems around infection though are cause by poor hygiene. Hand hygiene rather than the cleanliness (or otherwise) of the Unit. And for that kind of cross infection you need to blame nursing staff - and mainly doctors who are piss poor when it comes to basic hand washing.

I have a few suggestions for your nurse friend too, about what cause them to work long hours. Often it is the way we work which creates more work for us... but that is very detailed so I won't go into it here.
  • Options
    My nurse friend has her hours set like the rest of us, the only option she would have of changing this would be to resign. What are you suggesting?
  • Options
    If you have a good qualification in medicine move to America. Far better pay :thumb:. Not sure about nurses though :confused:
  • Options
    My nurse friend has her hours set like the rest of us, the only option she would have of changing this would be to resign. What are you suggesting?

She can still only work a maximum of 48 hours then, so what is the problem?

I was actually referring to the fact that many people work long hours in the NHS because we spend so much time sorting out problems instead of getting it right first time.

That isn't a criticism of individuals but more of custom and practice. So often we do things "Because we've always worked that way"...
  • Options
    The problem is she works a mixture of long days (14 hrs) and nights (10hrs) in the same week and often following each other, so she's tired all the time and her body clocks all over the place.

Now bear in mind at the end of her shifts she tells me she can hardly concentrate, throw the responsibility of administering drugs to patients and think of the potential for mistakes.

I've done shiftwork before and my employers didn't need mix the shifts, its not exactly difficult to give someone the same hours in the same week.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Man Of Kent
    MRSA has been around for years. Some of the "increase" in the number of infections can be realted to the fact that we look for it now, and detection methods are much, much better.

MRSA is Methicillin Resistant Staphylococcus aureus if you really want to know - more information here
    http://www.cdc.gov/ncidod/hip/Aresist/mrsafaq.htm

and with regard to the hours you can work
    http://www.dti.gov.uk/er/work_time_regs/
  • Options
    and to answer the question

yes, my trust is certainly getting better. but there is still staffing crisis, still many problems and a lot of work that needs to be done. It is intersting that the flu didn't really make the headlines as it has done in previous years... perhaps this has something to do with the weather?
  • Options
    Re: and to answer the question
    Originally posted by hobbs
    It is intersting that the flu didn't really make the headlines as it has done in previous years... perhaps this has something to do with the weather?

The whole "flu" thing is a fallacy anyway, the rate of admissions doesn't change from one year to the next. In fact there is a inherent predictability in "emergency" admissions, contrary to conventional wisdom.

One of the reasons the NHS did better this year is that so many people are starting to understand this...

In fact, the reason I was at the conference last week was to prove this very concept to a huge number of people.
  • Options
    Shit is it!

OK, I'll be fair. SOME areas may be enhanced, but others aren't aren't.

The psychaiatric departments tend to have prejudiced views of their patients and do little to aid their health!
  • Options
    I would have replied to your thread on that, but you seem to have got yourself a little lost in personal insults...

Yes, psychiatric services haven't been given the attention which they probably deserve. Why? Because it doesn't have the same political focus which actue care has. Simple fact - the NHS operates in a political climate and our political masters dictate what we look at. If you want that to change then you need to get the attention of politicians...

Oh the whole though, the areas which we have been targetting has, as the independant survey (carried out by the Kinds Fund)shows, improved a great deal.