Home Sex & Relationships
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

families

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
ok, so i see so many posts on here about people hating their mum/dad/cat/dog/fish that i thought i'd ask...

how many of you actually have a good relationship with your family?

i really love my family. i seriously don't think i'd be here today if it wasn't for them. especially my mum.

i mean, it ain't all sunshine and roses. my dad has problems showing affection, and i can remember him hugging me once in my life, and that was only cause my mum made him. but he goes out of his way to do things for me, and i've come to realise that that's his way of expressing that he cares.

i have a very difficult relationship with my brother, for reasons best not explained, but i get on well with his girlfriend, and i'm godmother to his son.

and the rest of them are great. and not just my immediate family. because they're polish they have very strong family values. my cousin is like a cross between a sister and a best friend, and my aunt is like a second mother.

so yeah. no moaning about your families in my thread. wax lyrical about them instead.

Comments

• Options
    I don't why people give a shit about 'family'.

You don't choose your family so why be close to them??!
  • Options
    Well I used to get on with my mum but know i'm getting fed up with her & we end up disagreeing on nearly everything now instead of getting along fine.

I only get on best with my sis now but my mum & sis haven't seen each other for like 4 years now due to some silly reason.

I've got 3 other bros. 2 are in their 30s so me @ 18 we don't really have anything in common. Then my other bro still leaves @ home & me & him just totally hate each other because we are in each others faces constantly.

As for my dad well I hope he dies soon as it will do us a hell of a lot of favours.

But everything from the outside would look all rosey but on the inside it's a living nightmare. 'Living the lie' that's my family in 3 words.

.:Crispy:.
  • Options
    No not really, I don't get on with my family well... only my in direct family in america.. eg my uncle cousin and aunt etc...
  • Options
    Originally posted by the sole liber
    :rolleyes:

My family are great. My mum & dad are the best parents you could have. We get on great and they'd do anything for me and my brother. We never argue and they've always been supportive of whatever me & my brother want to do. They're fab. Me & my brother get on well too, we annoy each other like most siblings, but we're not horrible to each other and even though he's 4 years younger than me he does look out for me a lot when he's home which is quite funny and we've got a lot closer since he's been in the army.
  • Options
    i adore my family. when i think about my muma nd dad and how brilliant they are it brings tears to my eyes. when im at uni i speak to them everyday. when i come home we are all really affectionate.

my mum is so cute and i'm always hugging her. i don't know what i would do without her.

my dad can be a miserable bastard but he is so funny and sweet too. i always try and look after him and we are really affectionate too. i stroke his bald patch and twist his big ears hehe.

my parents have told me all through growing up and still to this day how beautiful i am and how proud of me they are. they do that to my brother and sister too.

i don't see my brother and sister that much because they live in NY and i rarely speak on the phone to them. but when they come home we click straight back into place. they are so much fun :)

i'm not sayin my family is perfect, none is. living at home during the holidays can take its toll on the relationship. seeing each other everyday when i'm used to having my own space. yeh we argue but we kiss and make up literally 5minutes later.
  • Options
    Why the rolleyes??!!:lol:

I just don't think it's necessary to have a good relationship with your family.

NO person DOES choose their family, so your only nice to them because of luck and default!!!
  • Options
    Why the rolleyes??!!:lol:

I just don't think it's necessary to have a good relationship with your family.

NO person DOES choose their family, so your only nice to them because of luck and default!!!

You really are an arse, monocrat
  • Options
    My family are wonderful, not just my immediate family but all of them, especially on my mum's side.

I rarely want to tell mum anything, but she's always been there and whilst she hasn't understood, especially with the self-harming, she hasn't pretended to. She gets on well with t'missus too, so that's great :yes: My dad is like me, he doesn't quite always know how to show affection, but I know he does- a couple of times he's taken time off work to go to the pub with me when I've been home from uni. The only arse is that cos he doesn't show anything it's really hard to say thanks :yeees:

The exetnded family are great too, everyone really is quite close-knit- it scares t'missus to death :lol:
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit
    You really are an arse, monocrat

Why?? Family means jack!!:lol: :cool:
  • Options

:impissed: Yeah, they only gave you life to throw it back in their face. Let's see how you feel when you have a wee kid of your own and they say the EXACT same thing.

I bet you wouldn't have the balls to say that to your Mum or Dad - "Family doesn't mean anything, I'm only pretending to love you all."

You'd be disowned in a second mate. That is the worst way to show any gratitude for them.
  • Options
    I sincerely do not think it does! I'm right in saying that you don't choose your family and you only love them out of default!!

If you like family so much, try living in an Eastern one. Many reckon you should still love your parents even if they beat and abuse you! :lol:
  • Options
    Me and my mum are best friends. We talk about anything and everything. She's there when I need her, and I'm there when she needs me. We have our ups and downs, as all friends do, but all in all, we have a great kind of relationship. The one that puts mother and mate in the same person :)
    I'm my dad's little girl. We have a great relationship and he always goes out of his way for me... He finds it hard to communicate, but we don't go without a hug and a kiss every day.
    My sister, now that's another issue. She has ADHD, OCD and PTSD. You can imagine how difficult she is to get on with. She's recently moved back home after 4 years of living away... but nothing's changed, she's still the 15 year old she always was. It's hard, and we have our fights and fallings out, but I do know that she's my sister, and it wouldn't feel right having anyone else as my sister.
    I have 2 older brothers who have their own lives and their own kids. They're 31 and 27. I haven't seen them in about 5 years, and to be honest, I couldn't care if I never saw them again.

Ilora x
  • Options

I think family is SUPPOSED to be your guidance through life, or at least the beginning of it!
    they actually chose to raise you, and thus be your friends for lifetime (unless you screwed up with them badly ;))
    so this way it hasn't got anything to do with randomness!

of course many parents fail to give guidance & friendship to their kids, which is a real shame, but the parents fault! not the kids'!
    in this case it's totally okay not to have a close relationship to the family. I mean you can't force things that don't work out, even if it's sad!

but I wouldn't deny parents' love from the beginning on! maybe YOU just think that they wanna harm you (like not allowing you out till 1am and stuff when you're just 14)

so before writing your family off I'd go ahead and give it all an objective look and try to fix it! if that's not possibly (happens too unfortunately) then leave it! but parents can be the greatest friends on earth (for free and for lifetime!)
  • Options
    It's been just me and mum since dad died last year, and in that time we've become a lot closer... Yes we argue when we don't see eye to eye, but we always sort stuff out or come to a compromise. I think one reason why we've become closer is that we both miss dad a hell of a lot. I've had a lot of support from friends and my boyfriend, which has helped a hell of a lot...Mum hasn't had as much support from people, which means she's relied on me more, which has also brought us closer.. My mum means a lot to me and I dont know what I'd do without her...
  • Options
    Originally posted by FLX
    I think family is SUPPOSED to be your guidance through life, or at least the beginning of it!
    they actually chose to raise you, and thus be your friends for lifetime (unless you screwed up with them badly ;))
    so this way it hasn't got anything to do with randomness!

of course many parents fail to give guidance & friendship to their kids, which is a real shame, but the parents fault! not the kids'!
    in this case it's totally okay not to have a close relationship to the family. I mean you can't force things that don't work out, even if it's sad!

As I said, no one can choose their family. It's a lottery as to whom your parents would be!
  • Options
    but it still means something doens't it?
    it's the lottery of your life if you wanna put it that way.
  • Options
    I like my family but I do sometimes argue with them.

My dad is dead but I really appreciate my mum now. We are all quite independent, some times I don't see or speak to my mum for weeks!!
  • Options
    I get on really well with my mum, odd argument, but thats normal int it. My dad i get on with now, went through a stage of arguing permanently with him, loads, we do argue now to some extenet but not bad, my mum says its cos we so much alike, which is cool :)
  • Options
    Wow! This thread is interesting...i dont feel anything like that towards my family, which isnt a good thing, imo.

We dont hug or tell each other things...i mean i literally tell them nothing. I just think if they want me to "open up" etc they should have brought me up that way. Its unfair to expect things to suddenly change after 20 years.

-Im always arguing with my mum, she picks up on everything.
    -My dad and i didnt use to get on at all, but now its just okay i guess.
    -My brother and i get on when noone else is there. My family have always favoured him over me, and it doesnt just piss me off, it makes me sad too. But whatever, fuckit.

on the other hand...i really like my cousins and my aunt! My aunt rocks...she is such a blast and more "in tune with the kids". And my eldest cousin is the same age as me and we get on really well! If only they didnt live in Australia... :(
  • Options
    I don't why people give a shit about 'family'.

Why not be close to them? Fair enough, if you dont get on with your family but if you do why snub them?
  • Options
    Because there's no reason to be close to them!
  • Options
    Because there's no reason to be close to them!
    no reason to be close to someone you share genes with, someone who you were made inside of, lived inside of for 9 months and probably sucked their titties?
  • Options
    Nope.:lol:
  • Options
    Although i cannot talk about my mental health issues/substance abuse with any of my family, and i don't get on all that well with my dad, i get on alright with my mum and fantastically with my brother:) He's two years older than me but we get on so well, we never argue and i can talk to him about school problems and stuff as well as freidny kinda stuff. I love my family to bits and know they do love me and im truly grateful for that :)
  • Options
    I have pretty much no relationship with my family. We 'get on' because we have to. My mum has told me that she loves me once and that was a year ago before I went to america because she thought I was going to die in a plane crash :rolleyes: My dad tries by bonding over things like computers/cds etc but it fails. All their attempts to bond fail because we've never been brought up to be open and sharing etc

My parents have made too many mistakes in bringing us up in order for me to try and feel anything other than the obligatory love. I'm not really close to my other family either.

Sometimes I feel like I'm missing out, other days I'm glad I'm not close.
  • Options
    Originally posted by FLX
    but it still means something doens't it?
    it's the lottery of your life if you wanna put it that way.

It doesn't.

Your family may 'look after' you, but just because you are related o somebody doesn't mean you are obligated to care for them!!