Home Politics & Debate
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

I'm alright Jack

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Many industries are using cheap labour and damaging the environment whilst making a few, very well off.Our first responsibility should be for the place we live and our fellow being before material wealth and prestige.Since the advent of the Thatcher years in 1979, society in general HAS become more materialistic and less concerned for its neighbours.When the actions of a few cause misery to millions just to put an extra zero on the already long line of zeros,then try to justify their actions as
'operating within the law',then surely this is a time when the law needs changing.What they are doing is tantamount to theft and vandalism on a grand scale and they should be prosecuted for their crimes already committed against humanity.The phrase "I'M ALRIGHT JACK.." must be the most common thought,if not motto,in boardrooms around the world.They are the modern day Robin Hood inrole reversal.Their aim to rob from the poor and give to the rich.
If we do continue down the same path then the only outcome will be more suffering for the masses and not just in the third world countries.Eventually the decisions that the people in power are making now and in the future will have a direct link to the destruction of our planet.If we continue to ignore what scientists are telling us it is inevitable that the damaged caused will be irreversible.So you see eventually even money won't save them.They will be,in some part,responsible for the death of the planet and with it life. Still " I'M ALRIGHT JACK!!! "

**********************************************************************:o

Comments

• Options
    A capitalist society is always materialistic...

But I agree, mindless greed is killing this beautiful planet. However I can't see how money hungry dogs like Bush would ever give a shit about the planet or the future of the people anyway.

That's capitalism.

I'm rich...

You're not...

I'll damage the planet...

But who cares right? As long as I come out best. ;)
  • Options
    Got any solutions to the evilness that is this world? Do you own a car because of its "image", do you buy expensive branded trainers? It's all around us.....

Bopz
  • Options
    you're sat at a PC right now reading this. If you weren't a capitalist you wouldn't have anything to do with them.
  • Options
    Hmm so only Capitalists can apply the latest technologies?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Whowhere
    you're sat at a PC right now reading this. If you weren't a capitalist you wouldn't have anything to do with them.

What a load of bullshit. He didn't say he was Amish!
  • Options
    Get rid of money, pay people with electronic labour credits. Nationalise industry to make sure every person has access to or has everything they need (i.e homes, utilities, basic electronics, spartan furniture, food) for free while maintaining a competetive element to provide people with the things they want to spend their labour credits on.

No manipulation, no financial disasters, no fat cats, no need for taxes as government controls the purse strings from the start but with the same freedom of choice as modern day capitalism.

Then I woke up.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Bopperz
    Got any solutions to the evilness that is this world? Do you own a car because of its "image", do you buy expensive branded trainers? It's all around us.....

Bopz

There is no answer, it's human nature to be greedy, it's inherited behaviour, we always want more than we need. As for 'evil', what is this 'evil' people speak of?
  • Options
    Heh, no sound since Smith has been able to produce a viable alternative to capitalism! Marx tried but his system has never been implemented properly.

What do suggest chameleon??

No use complaining if there is no solution!;)

OK, capitalism creates economic inequality, but hasn't that existed since the first cities?? Why wasn't feudalism rebuked for excessive economic inequality (which DID exist then)?!
  • Options
    Originally posted by the sole liber
    Heh, no sound since Smith has been able to produce a viable alternative to capitalism!

What's the alternative then?
  • Options
    That's WHAT I want to know!:cool:
  • Options
    How boring.

Go off and join the Green Party and rant about population growth leading to Malthusian disaster.
  • Options
    Originally posted by the sole liber
    Heh, no sound since Smith has been able to produce a viable alternative to capitalism! Marx tried but his system has never been implemented properly.

Who says it will never actually be implemented properly at some point though?;)
  • Options
    It may, but no capitalist society shows the signs of polarisation that Marx stated would occur!

Neo-Marxists would not use Marx's exact rebuke of capitalism to overthrow capitalism!:cool:
  • Options
    Originally posted by Kermit
    How boring.

Go off and join the Green Party and rant about population growth leading to Malthusian disaster.

I vote green actually :p
  • Options
    Originally posted by Braineater
    Get rid of money, pay people with electronic labour credits. Nationalise industry to make sure every person has access to or has everything they need (i.e homes, utilities, basic electronics, spartan furniture, food) for free while maintaining a competetive element to provide people with the things they want to spend their labour credits on.

No manipulation, no financial disasters, no fat cats, no need for taxes as government controls the purse strings from the start but with the same freedom of choice as modern day capitalism.

Then I woke up.

Why don't we run up a red flag now and start worshipping the God that is Lenin?

BECAUSE IT DOESN'T work. Human nature means communism will never work. Changing the name of money to electronic credits won't make a difference mate.
  • Options
    Originally posted by MoonRat
    I vote green actually :p

I didn't think you'd be the sort to be anti-immigration *shrug*
  • Options
    I didn't think you'd be the sort to be anti-immigration *shrug*

Mwehehehe, tree-hugging hippy shit am I! :lol:
  • Options
    Originally posted by Whowhere
    Why don't we run up a red flag now and start worshipping the God that is Lenin?

BECAUSE IT DOESN'T work. Human nature means communism will never work. Changing the name of money to electronic credits won't make a difference mate.

Capitalism isn't working very well either.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Blagsta
    Capitalism isn't working very well either.

Sure it is...

If you're on top. :p
  • Options
    Mwehehehe, tree-hugging hippy shit am I! :lol:

The tree-huggers in the Greens are alright- it's the ones who think A Blueprint For Survival is the way to go that scare me :eek:
  • Options
    The tree-huggers in the Greens are alright- it's the ones who think A Blueprint For Survival is the way to go that scare me :eek:

I'm not too extreme. But politically and spiritually I believe that we gotta take more care of the earth and quit being so damn greedy.

Treehuggers/nature lovers usually are very cool... but some are complete twats, especially some over the top animal rights protestors. Like the ones who released the minks from the fur farm.

Fucked up our eco system as the mink are preying on water voles and birds.
  • Options
    If you vote Green you should dig out a copy of A Blueprint For Survival y'know...it's fascinating as the original manifesto for the party.

I almost agree with it- but then they go off ranting about strict legal population controls. Scary stuff.
  • Options
    I almost agree with it- but then they go off ranting about strict legal population controls. Scary stuff.

Legal population controls? I'll have to check that out. Limiting the number of kids the person can have?

Could be an interesting debate, but for another thread maybe?
  • Options
    Legal population controls? I'll have to check that out. Limiting the number of kids the person can have?

Aye, and banning all immigration. The idea is very similar to the one-child rules in China, with similar consequences.

It isn't really relevant to this, I know, but I just find it fascinating. When people think of the Green Party they think of "tree-hugging hippies", not disturbingly Malthusian dictators. Which is what the Green Party is at it's core- the first manifesto says so:)
  • Options
    No one should ban people from having children.

Taxing them heavily for every new child, on the other hand... ;)
  • Options
    Originally posted by Aladdin
    No one should ban people from having children.

Taxing them heavily for every new child, on the other hand... ;)

Good idea :D Or make child benefit means tested.

Kermit, I don't think I read anything on their more up to date manifestos about banning immigration or population control.