Home Health & Wellbeing
If you need urgent support, call 999 or go to your nearest A&E. To contact our Crisis Messenger (open 24/7) text THEMIX to 85258.
Read the community guidelines before posting ✨
Options

Any Deaf people out there...

Former MemberFormer Member Posts: 1,876,323 The Mix Honorary Guru
Hi

Are any of you deaf or hard-of-hearing?

Anyone got a Cochlea Implant?

If so I would like to chat to u sometime for advice...

Comments

• Options
    Im not deaf but i know a bit of sign......Whats your problem? maybe we could help.
  • Options
    problem.....

My main problem is that I am unable to meet new people/friends.

No matter how much I try, they just don't bother. Perhaps they are scared. Maybe they find my Lip-Reading off-putting - I HAVE to stare at peoples mouth to follow the speech.

If you have ever met and speken to a deaf person, how did u cope? Does deafness bother u much?
  • Options
    Re: problem.....
    Originally posted by made in england

If you have ever met and speken to a deaf person, how did u cope? Does deafness bother u much?

I have! Theres a girl on my uni course and she's deaf. A couple of weeks after we started we were given a talk on how to speak with deaf people, and given leaflets about it as well. (I had deaf relatives as well, so I got used to it).

It doesn't bother me at all speaking to her, it's not the same as speaking to someone with hearing, but I try to act as though it is - I do speak a little slower when talking to her, and if she doesn't catch it then I repeat it until she does, which can be annoying on both parts but it's about being patient.

I'm not sure if that helped at all :confused:
  • Options
    there's a girl who works at our local shop who's deaf, and wears a little badge saying 'i lip read - please speak clearly'.

it is a bit odd having someone stare at your mouth, but if you know why they're doing it, it's not offputting. you have to make a little more effort, but it's not something that would bother me, personally.
  • Options
    Well I've spoken to a few death people and they seem great people. At first the lip reading was a little weird but then it just didn't bother me. not there fault and it's who they are.

deaf people are lovely people and I love to meet more.

there just like you or me (maybe not like me lol) and I've have never been put of because there deaf
  • Options
    A good friend of my older brothers is deaf, and she lip reads fantastically. I'm sure i remember someone on here saying they had a hearing aid but i can't remember who, made they'll turn up :)
  • Options
    My mum is partially deaf and has to wear a hearing aid to be able to hear properly... And even with the aid she sometime has problems if the person speaks to fast etc... She finds it helps to lip read, so ive got pretty used to her starign at my lips when i talk, though sometimes i must admit i can find it annoying...
    One of the teachers at school is the same as mum, and many students find it hard to understand why she doesnt always hear them when they call across the classroom for her.. And then start bitching about her because she hasnt heard them... :rolleyes:
  • Options
    i have grown up with deaf people as my gran is deaf and my mum used to be a interpreter, but quit a while ago due to stress, so if you wanna talk just PM me.

is there not a deaf club near you? cos i used to go with a friend to a deaf youth club??
  • Options
    can't say i've ever heard of a deaf youth club. maybe that's just me though.

i've had several grommets, a t-tube and a something...covered up the hole in my ear drum. i've forgotten what it's called. so yeh, i know what it's like to be 'hard' of hearing.
  • Options
    my brother is profoundly deaf and so is my uncle and his wife, I know quite a few deaf people, and I wont deny it is harder to talk to them than hearing people as my signing isnt fantastic, but I get by. There are loads of deaf organisations all over the country,
    maybe theres something on the RAD website to help you find a local group
    RAD
  • Options
    Originally posted by Hellfire

Plenty of deaf people are twats as well. The same with any group of people.
  • Options
    Originally posted by the doc horatio
    Plenty of deaf people are twats as well. The same with any group of people.

true.

i think it's quite patronising to assume that they're all one thing just because they're deaf.

they're just normal people. who can't hear. but you wouldn't say something like 'i just love people with broken ankles, they're all so nice'.

judge them by their personality, not their disability.
  • Options
    My uncle's wife is deaf and I remember sitting and talking to her when I was younger, haven't spoken to her in quite a few years though so haven't really had much contact with deaf people recently.

Although, yesterday at work I wasn't having too great a day and there was an old couple blocking the way I needed to go and after repeatedly going 'excuse me' I start to lose my rag and stormed off a bit, not even crossing my mind that they might have been deaf.

I did feel really guilty though later on when my colleague was trying to talk to them to tell them that we were closing, and they started signing because I shouldn't have lost it so easily. I suppose you just take these things for granted. That said, it was sheer classic the look of confusion on his face when he said 'get out please' or some bullshit and this woman started mouthing and waving her hands about at him; I was wetting myself from a distance.
  • Options
  • Options
    Hiya
    You haven't said if you are a student, but if you are you may find this organisation useful:
    http://www.skill.org.uk/
    They are a charuty that helps students with disabilities.
    Hannah x
  • Options

LOL, youve obviously never met my brother then.
  • Options
    heh.... lol

Well from those I've meet I got the impression there lovely, I just hate it how people will become predujice against someone because of something they can't control.
  • Options
    Originally posted by Girl_gunner
    I'm sure i remember someone on here saying they had a hearing aid but i can't remember who, made they'll turn up :)
    Tink, I think, but I may be wrong.
  • Options
    didnt monserrat have one too.
  • Options
    My friends brother is deaf, his doctor put him in touch with organisations where he could meet deaf people.

I was told off my a bloke on the bus, he and his wife and kid were using sign language to talk to each other, i found it fascinating watching them.. guess i was staring, the man didnt appreciate it :p
  • Options
    Originally posted by lil_minx
    My friends brother is deaf, his doctor put him in touch with organisations where he could meet deaf people.

I was told off my a bloke on the bus, he and his wife and kid were using sign language to talk to each other, i found it fascinating watching them.. guess i was staring, the man didnt appreciate it :p

I'd love to learn sign.. seems really fasanating how people can understand and speak without using sounds and just actions:)
  • Options
    I'd love to learn sign.. seems really fasanating how people can understand and speak without using sounds and just actions:)
    its definitely worth it, its really handy. me and my mum can talk to each other without mst people knowing what were saying, and it can be really handy in a crowded pub thats noisy, or through a bus window etc etc.
  • Options
    When i was in school, my friend wen to sign classes, no reason she didnt know any deaf people, she jsut wanted to learn. got quite good.

I can spell my name in sign (or at least thats what the book said it was!)
  • Options
    I have to admit the closest ive ever got to a deaf person was watching Mr Hollands Opus on Sky :chin:
  • Options
    I have a hearing aid. Im partially deaf in my right ear, my h/a is recent and i have always lip read, people used to cover thier mouths to wind me up :rolleyes: Even though i have my hearing aid, i still lip read, people do find it weird but they get used to it :) pm me if u like x
  • Options
    Originally posted by piccolo
    Tink, I think, but I may be wrong.

:yes: u remembered *feels loved* :D
  • Options
    Originally posted by *TiNK*
    I have a hearing aid. Im partially deaf in my right ear, my h/a is recent and i have always lip read, people used to cover thier mouths to wind me up :rolleyes: Even though i have my hearing aid, i still lip read, people do find it weird but they get used to it :) pm me if u like x

Wow I never knew that. I'm totally deaf in my right ear but I can't have a hearing aid because the nerves are dead, but to be honest I really don't need one anyway. I was born with it so I am totally used to it and no one knows apart fromt the select few I've told. Most of my closest mates don't know and have never noticed. It's not that I'm embarrassed or anything, it's just not something I feel the need to inform people on. I forget about it myself so it's not like it's a big deal.
  • Options
    Originally posted by rainbow brite
    its definitely worth it, its really handy. me and my mum can talk to each other without mst people knowing what were saying, and it can be really handy in a crowded pub thats noisy, or through a bus window etc etc.

Cool. Does anyone know where/how I could start to learn?
  • Options
    Originally posted by Faith
    Wow I never knew that. I'm totally deaf in my right ear but I can't have a hearing aid because the nerves are dead, but to be honest I really don't need one anyway. I was born with it so I am totally used to it and no one knows apart fromt the select few I've told. Most of my closest mates don't know and have never noticed. It's not that I'm embarrassed or anything, it's just not something I feel the need to inform people on. I forget about it myself so it's not like it's a big deal.

you dont realise how deaf you are tho until you have something so you can hear, i mean when i take my hearing aid out im like woah omg, i never thought i was that deaf.
  • Options
    Originally posted by *TiNK*
    you dont realise how deaf you are tho until you have something so you can hear, i mean when i take my hearing aid out im like woah omg, i never thought i was that deaf.

Yeah i guess, it would be quite strange. Everything must go really loud all of a sudden! Not gonna happen for me though because like I said there's nothing they can do about the hearing in my right ear.